Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are close up pictures that highlight the construction

i6xne1y.jpg

KPbAKXg.jpg

WBlMGaT.jpg

btIkNPJ.jpg

cmd4od2.jpg

As you might have noticed here, they used a different thinner thread here. When I asked about it, was told that it was not possible to have the thicker thread everywhere. Anybody can shed some light into this?

9VbNLkt.jpg

nu9bWOk.jpg

hDQYNZZ.jpg

030HPXY.jpg

s7DRhP4.jpg

g4wEOj4.jpg

IRXmW5b.jpg

UHsGuY4.jpg

b6OQ7CX.jpg

9FggMXL.jpg

Quite a few mishaps but nothing major. The puzzling aspects being that the machinist seems to have had a lot of trouble with the back left seam.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

i6xne1y.jpg

KPbAKXg.jpg

WBlMGaT.jpg

btIkNPJ.jpg

cmd4od2.jpg

As you might have noticed here, they used a different thinner thread here. When I asked about it, was told that it was not possible to have the thicker thread everywhere. Anybody can shed some light into this?

9VbNLkt.jpg

nu9bWOk.jpg

hDQYNZZ.jpg

030HPXY.jpg

s7DRhP4.jpg

g4wEOj4.jpg

IRXmW5b.jpg

UHsGuY4.jpg

b6OQ7CX.jpg

9FggMXL.jpg

Quite a few mishaps but nothing major. The puzzling aspects being that the machinist seems to have had a lot of trouble with the back left seam.
Looks like they ran out of bobbin thread?

air

One of the Regulars

i6xne1y.jpg

KPbAKXg.jpg

WBlMGaT.jpg

btIkNPJ.jpg

cmd4od2.jpg

9VbNLkt.jpg

nu9bWOk.jpg

hDQYNZZ.jpg

030HPXY.jpg

s7DRhP4.jpg

g4wEOj4.jpg

IRXmW5b.jpg

UHsGuY4.jpg

b6OQ7CX.jpg

9FggMXL.jpg

When you're wearing the jacket the sun on the right shoulder is less visible compared to the original

Have you had bigger/smaller people wear the jacket? It could help you see which panels are too big/small

Did you make drawings to scale for this jacket?

Last edited:
I still say it looks really good. I’ve had far worse stitching boo boo’s on FAR more expensive jackets. Far worse.
For a first at bat on what is arguably one of the toughest and most intricate jackets maybe anywhere on the market...it’s good. Projects like this should only improve their abilities and range.

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family

i6xne1y.jpg

KPbAKXg.jpg

WBlMGaT.jpg

btIkNPJ.jpg

cmd4od2.jpg

9VbNLkt.jpg

nu9bWOk.jpg

hDQYNZZ.jpg

030HPXY.jpg

s7DRhP4.jpg

g4wEOj4.jpg

IRXmW5b.jpg

UHsGuY4.jpg

b6OQ7CX.jpg

9FggMXL.jpg

I feel the flaws are extremely minor . You should wear the jacket in good health . It’s an amazing jacket, tres cool

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I'm late to the East West Unveil party..... but I echo much of what has been said. Frankly, I give you MAX credit for the cajones to endeavor to recreate such a complicated design. I think it turned out great design wise with the stitching, the sorta scallop collar the Sun back etc. The front looks bitchen as well. Those buckled pockets came out nice and I like that you went with contrast stitching.

As with all of us (except the Design Savants like Ton, Mr. Proper and a few others) I think its hard to nail the fit details to perfection without totally copying a jacket you have on hand. ESPECIALLY on your first time. I think this was a rather ambitious build though style wise as almost ALL of the East West designs are so off the charts detailed and artsy. With all the challenges at hand with this jacket, I think it turned out great.

Fit could be better mainly in the back but I feel like that is just a learning experience and it seems you likely had so many other irons in the fire as to details you wanted to nail with this design that you were bound to overlook a detail or two on fit.

Honestly, its sorta like Olympic diving----with the "LEVEL OF DIFFUCULTY" and this should factor into how you judge this jacket. In diving, you can choose to do a very basic, "safe" dive and you can NAIL it 100% but you may get a lower score than another diver who tries something wayyyy more difficult but only gets 85% of it right. The level of difficulty for this build was very high indeed. A LOT of details and irregularly shaped panels on this jacket. NOTE: I have never dove in my life as am really more prone to Cannonballs but I HAVE seen the Olympics on TEE-VEE and hence, I am narrowly qualified to offer this loose Olympic comparison;)

You deserve credit for even attempting this design but it really turned out nice. I think it'll get even better once its broken it. Congrats!!:cool:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

i6xne1y.jpg

KPbAKXg.jpg

WBlMGaT.jpg

btIkNPJ.jpg

cmd4od2.jpg

9VbNLkt.jpg

nu9bWOk.jpg

hDQYNZZ.jpg

030HPXY.jpg

s7DRhP4.jpg

g4wEOj4.jpg

IRXmW5b.jpg

UHsGuY4.jpg

b6OQ7CX.jpg

9FggMXL.jpg

Stitching looks real solid to my eyes. A couple of small imperfections here and there - as has been already pointed out, far more expensive jackets have come out of QC with far worse stitching. The big issue with this jacket is the fit. Are you going for a remake to try and remedy this?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Stitching looks real solid to my eyes. A couple of small imperfections here and there - as has been already pointed out, far more expensive jackets have come out of QC with far worse stitching.
I bought two Aero's from their sales page, sent them both back because of stitching issues and panels not lining up.
46B8132C-44BE-4930-AB98-F2174A255820.jpeg

00AA1817-07EF-464C-AD66-24B6EFA8EA4C.jpeg

Edit: I included the 5* photo to show how well the panels line up. More impressive considering the number of panels.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Very period accurate -about 50% of my period jackets have had panels that don't line up like that. Not saying I'd want that in a carefully made $1000 jacket, but it is a thing.

I like how if an Aero has poor patterns, poor stitching and poor panel alignement they are "period accurate features", but if another maker has the same "features" they are issues....

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Very period accurate -about 50% of my period jackets have had panels that don't line up like that. Not saying I'd want that in a carefully made $1000 jacket, but it is a thing.
So you're saying Aero does this on purpose, in order to achieve period accurateness?

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Seb can of course answer for himself but I honestly think you’re almost deliberately misunderstanding him. He did say he wouldn’t want those mistakes on a 1000 $ jacket. But he is in fact right about these issues being a thing with some vintage jackets. Imo they are a sign of poor QC or a slip in QC in those vintage jackets, same as they are if we see them on jackets being produced today. My tolerance for them is way higher in a vintage jacket though.

Mich486

One Too Many
I don’t think that’s the case. That would/could happen with a reproduction company that takes things to the extreme (there are some Levi’s repro companies that purposefully imitate the wonky stitching etc of war time production).

Apart from odd the one (I can’t think anything else apart from the Indian Ranger) Aero doesn’t make repros but rather jackets that are vintage inspired. That’s also why I don’t understand why people say their patterns are the way they are because they are vintage accurate. I’m not so sure about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner