Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I think it’s a good job by the builder! I agree that it lacks the taper and curves, but wow it’s still impressive. The collar is off- looks like the original was curved up at the tips, and 5* cut it at an angle (the 2d comment applies). The back curve isn’t a measurement thing so much as a direction and drawing thing. I like the length, but feel the front should drop another inch or 2.
    Sleeves tapered, yes. They got the patchwork and pockets right though. My issue with 5* at the moment is that while they are competant at sewing and copying, there isn’t a creative force behind the scenes pushing designs to make them all they can be. It’s almost like a computer just outputting what we input...not a bad thing, but not insightful either. After all, it’s in their interest to have you order #2. It would really up their game to have a creative designer come in on their end to make suggestions we can trust and say “I didn’t think of that”, or who tells us “No, bad idea!”

2. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hmm... It is true that my other jackets have been made with input from the maker. While for this one only my ideas. It reminds me of when I was making leather jackets in Hong Kong years ago. You would come with a pic, get measured, go through a fitting then your jacket in a few days.

It was hit and miss but loads of fun. The one that came out best was blue with a greyish fur collar.

handymike likes this.
  3. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

My experience with pricing for leather jacket(s) is as costly as $330. Including shipping to US.
    It's $30 for customizations of any sort that they have on offer and $30 for shipping via DHL, in a bag.
    Therefore, you should be able to calculate a bit with that and your sizing as the larger the jacket the higher the base cost.
    I don't have experience with shearling jackets.
    HTH
    @RILO

RILO likes this.
  4. torfjord

torfjord One Too Many

I was charged 350 $ for my jacket which will hopefully be finished tomorrow (emailed Shawn first time Monday last week). He’s been easy to communicate with and has been quick to respond despite the 4 hour time difference. I hope the jacket is as good :)

Mich486, RILO and warrior-poet like this.
  5. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Mine was between $ 340 and $ 560 (shearling)

RILO likes this.
  6. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Yes, I have thought that many times. Someone who challenges their own ideas and also makes suggestions on how something can be improved or which idea may be less good. But I could also imagine that this is perhaps such a cultural thing, according to the motto that a suggestion for improvement could be interpret as a criticism, so better not

DavidAp88 and red devil like this.
  7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

It is the difference between a $370 maker and a $1000 maker.
    Problem is that by the time you figure it out on your own it’s already at $740 (or more).

8. red devil

I think they don't want to be criticised for their advice? If they suggest something that the buyer ends up disliking? At the moment it is a very clear "you are choosing everything at your own risk" deal.

HoosierDaddy and Carlos840 like this.
  9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I think it’s an easy way to get out of a re-make...This is a choice perhaps, or a cultural difference, either way it leaves me waiting in the wings for the moment.

red devil likes this.
  10. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I‘m not a tailor, but I think I would try like this:
    4B751CB1-AD75-4B28-88C7-A24C68E8BF88.jpeg

El Marro, ton312 and red devil like this.
  11. CRP

CRP New in Town

However, the workmanship (stitching, attention to detail, willingness to experiment with new designs...) is superb. Obviously the patterns need to mature, but considering this is a jacket made from pictures and email texts I consider it a great job. With the input from all the FL members and unique requests being fulfilled, it is only a matter of time before 5* patterns will begin to mature and match up with the workmanship.

tweedydon likes this.
  12. red devil

Thanks! That could work, maybe I should try it with a denim version? Would this work in denim?

13. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 A-List Customer

This looks quite amazing to me . !!!

red devil likes this.
  14. ton312

ton312

I would attach a measurement to each of mr propers lines in the pic above. That could correct the problem. As discussed the jacket needs to be hourglass shaped a bit and less uniform in measurement from pit to hem. Essentially a Halfbelt without the belt. Like mine:
    2F73F670-C608-45C9-B76F-D103889BFD8F.jpeg 6D29AA49-D602-4BEA-B045-E546ACD655D8.jpeg

Jin431, El Marro, torfjord and 4 others like this.
  15. red devil

I get the feeling it would help to add measurements between the 2 vertical seams as well now that I think about it

ton312 likes this.
  16. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I would use clamps to 'pin down' the extra leather, following the seams. Then I would use chalk to mark where the seams should be and send a photo of it to Shawn. Best to measure that too. Otherwise you might end up with a jacket that is too tight or just out of shape.

Similar to how a suit jacket is pinned. (Don't use pins, use clamps :)) 718A06B2-2BD2-47FA-AD81-2FFED6CD5F90.jpeg

MrProper, red devil and Carlos840 like this.
  17. CRP

CRP New in Town

Mine was $300 with custom sizing, additional inner pocket, elimination of upper two pockets, and addition of lower hand pockets. I took the basic cafe racer on his website and modified it, so just a modification of an existing design.

RILO and bn1966 like this.
  18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Your body is already making the jacket do the right thing. Just need to trim off the excess.
    33E0E04B-545E-41D4-8C2D-0B448BEFE8B8.jpeg

Jin431, ton312 and red devil like this.
  19. red devil

That's how you did it with your mock up isn't it?

20. red devil

Good point, I hadn't figured it out. If you get rid of the excess, you indeed will get the curvy seems and a nice back

tweedydon likes this.