Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Seank

Seank One of the Regulars

He has the original pattern from the first build. He should be able to adjust the pattern to get the fit I desire. I wouldn’t say it was “all his mistakes”...It’s a learning process with a manufacturer that I’m not familiar with creating a new pattern for a customer he is not familiar with...
    Hell, I’ve had like 8 custom Aeros over the years and have had to do the same. Buy a jacket...check the fit, wear the leather, learn and adjust. No biggie. Even with fit jackets through Thurston it’s been a “hit and miss” experience.
    At least Five star is cheap enough where it’s not a huge investment anyway so why not. I enjoy it.

If he nails this one, which I think with the level of detail we worked through creating the first pattern and now adjusting it...he will) it will be worth the relatively low investment.

2. ton312

ton312

That hasn’t been my experience with 5 Star, in fact I’m extremely pleased with how each one turned out, perhaps with the exception of the first, but that was due to my own mistakes with regard to the specs. These three HB’s though...are among my favorite jackets.
    917AAC98-0330-4228-ABD5-F9B0A706CD82.jpeg 8226ED96-AE63-4B2A-92F3-64852A729EDF.jpeg 97D4D33D-29D4-499B-9E1E-773966D36E5C.jpeg

RustyM, DavidAp88, navetsea and 20 others like this.
  3. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I’ve had 3 custom jackets made in the last few years and the Five Star is the only one that’s stayed. Have had quite a bit of wear out of it already & a few compliments paid when out and about. It was a fun project going custom with Shawn, only a small financial risk and having fun is one of my main goals with this hobby. Loving the B-3 that’s just hit production but it would get very little wear here in the Southern Uk. Loving Ton’s Californian, might get one in Deer after Xmas...

nick123, El Marro, Seb Lucas and 2 others like this.
  4. dlite90

dlite90 Familiar Face

My goatskin A2 arrived today. With it being my first made-to-measure garment, I'm not really surprised or disappointed about it being a little small. I love the color and grain, and the olive knitting (more like hunter green) turned out nice. The knitting complicates the measurement a little.
    My only complaint is that the site says "order a 40 (XS) if you're chest size 42," which is what I did and it's too small for me to lift my arms (guess it's the back shoulder-to-shoulder being too small). Think I'll order another one.
    I'm going to put it up in Classifieds when I quit being lazy.

warrior-poet likes this.
  5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Sounds like a rookie mistake. NEVER go by sizes. A 42 can come in many different sizes depending on the era, the maker and the pattern. You need to be clear about your measurements to get the best sizing outcome. I only ever order 23.5 pit to pit, which is a 38 to 46 depending on the maker/pattern.

MrProper, El Marro, Jin431 and 3 others like this.
  6. dlite90

dlite90 Familiar Face

I compared all measurements Shawn sent me against the measurements of a jacket that fit well before I confirmed it with him. Shit happens even with experienced buyers.
    Thanks for the needless lecture.

7. warrior-poet

warrior-poet New in Town

dlite90, what model did you order? I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if the actual measurements work for me. Please email info. to me at Aden [at] LittleFireEditorial.com. Cheers

dlite90 likes this.
  8. dlite90

dlite90 Familiar Face

Thank you sir, email sent. If you didn't get the email let me know.

9. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Ordering a deerskin trucker jacket as a gift. Will let you guys know how it looks/feels

Berto, MrProper, Cornelius and 3 others like this.
  10. Seank

Yes! Interested in this. I just started inquiring about a trucker as well. Was thinking black goatskin, but deerskin would be pretty cool. Is black an option?

Jin431 likes this.
  11. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

For my order, I'll have five star leave out the buttons because I'll upgrade them anyways.

I have a trucker in premium seal goatskin. I'll share a picture for you. For deerskin it's only available in black and cognac. I think deerskin will be a good leather for trucker

Attached Files:

JCSD, Cornelius and Seank like this.
  12. Seank

Sweet, that looks good! I was thinking something similar (with a couple modifications I inquired about vs his standard design) but in black with some dark cognac brown contrast stitching. I like the copper buttons as well. they remind me of the copper buttons on my Unbranded jeans.
    I’ll be anxiously waiting for your deerskin comparison to this goatskin one you currently own!

Berto and Jin431 like this.
  13. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

A black with contrast stitching will look super cool, it is a trucker jacket after all. The stock buttons of the five star trucker jackets are not good it's rather disappointing actually. I bought mine on amazon (faded copper), ill order antique brass donut buttons for this gift jacket. The buttons are made in Japan, it also looks similar to my gunmetal buttons from tellason.

I'll keep you guys posted, I just inquired yesterday so hopefully we get to finalize the order soon.

14. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Stock buttons that came with the trucker jacket
    IMG_3854.jpg

15. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

dlite,
    For such a simple jacket the A-2 can be a tough one to nail the fit on. I had several failed attempts myself, including one that sounds just like yours, before I found a jacket that fits trim and still allows me to move. Here’s hoping that your next try is a winner!

bn1966 and Jin431 like this.
  16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm sorry you feel bad about your jacket purchase. But there is no need to be rude about my sincere response which was based on the small amount of information you provided -

My only complaint is that the site says "order a 40 (XS) if you're chest size 42," which is what I did and it's too small for me to lift my arms (guess it's the back shoulder-to-shoulder being too small).

which suggested you needed some useful information. Had you stated that you had put all that thought into it, I would not have provided you this information which really helped me when I made sizing mistakes in years gone by.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  17. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

It has arrived. so let's start with the pics as usual :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

photo2u, JCSD, Jin431 and 14 others like this.
  18. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I'm looking at these pics with my mouth open. Can you believe this? Damn this looks great. How is the fit?

Edit: even the leather looks good. But what do you think of the moustache collar? It doesn't look bad but it's not like the original collar.

JustinW and red devil like this.
  19. torfjord

torfjord One Too Many

Woah! That looks amazing! I’m even more eager in waiting for my fivestar which should be finished this week after seeing this awesomeness. Shawn and his team are killing it!

How is the fit?

red devil likes this.
  20. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

BRILLIANT

red devil likes this.