Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A little over 3” for sure.

Yep..looks 3.5 to me from your pic & you say you had the jacket buttoned & flat.

On my first 5* jacket my measurements didn’t completely correspond with their photographed ones, jacket worked though.

Yours is a cool looking jacket, once the UK opens up again I’ve an Eastmans jacket that is getting a visit to the tailors for a fine tune.

abone

A-List Customer
Yep..looks 3.5 to me from your pic & you say you had the jacket buttoned & flat.

On my first 5* jacket my measurements didn’t completely correspond with their photographed ones, jacket worked though.

Yours is a cool looking jacket, once the UK opens up again I’ve an Eastmans jacket that is getting a visit to the tailors for a fine tune.

I went over the key measurements and the others were spot on. It’s too bad this one is so far off as it’s critical.
Should be easy to fix though.

bn1966

I went over the key measurements and the others were spot on. It’s too bad this one is so far off as it’s critical.
Should be easy to fix though.

I’ve found 5* generally spot on, my latest jacket was exactly the specified numbers. Yours does look an easy fix to my eye :)

MrProper

I have just received the CR.

I'll post some fit pictures when I can but I can only say I'm really happy with how it turned out! Sleeves alterations were great, wish I would have told them to take another half inch near the elbow but it's really tight around the wrist, so I'm happy with that.

The leather is thick but is way too soft for my taste. I was hoping it would be stiffer. I like its graininess a lot but it's just too soft for what I wanted. With the quilted lining, seems a nice warm jacket. I'll have to test it these days.

Here are just a few images, for now. I can say they've done a great job, in my case the measurements worked great so @MrProper was definitely right about them going as far as you tell them to.

Overall I'm impressed with 5* and I can only hope they will have a wider variety of hides in the future.

View attachment 311429 View attachment 311430 View attachment 311431 View attachment 311432 View attachment 311433

would you recommend the quilted lining? and if so, also in combination with this leather? i'm a fan of heavy cotton lining, but quilted can also tempt me.

Reactions: Riu

Riu

Practically Family
would you recommend the quilted lining? and if so, also in combination with this leather? i'm a fan of heavy cotton lining, but quilted can also tempt me.

I like the quilted lining, feels great but not convinced it goes well with this leather - with the leather being quite soft I'd go with the heavy cotton lining instead.

The leather is pliable, I was thinking of something more rigid to have that armour feel. I know it's not horsehide but I would have liked it stiffer.

Riu

Practically Family
Just took a few quick fit pictures before going out.

IMG_52551.jpg
IMG_5246.JPG
IMG_5249.JPG
IMG_5252.JPG

MrProper

I like the quilted lining, feels great but not convinced it goes well with this leather - with the leather being quite soft I'd go with the heavy cotton lining instead.

The leather is pliable, I was thinking of something more rigid to have that armour feel. I know it's not horsehide but I would have liked it stiffer.

Many Thanks. Jacket looks great.
In terms of stiffness, do you can compare it to the 5* goat?

Riu

Practically Family
Many Thanks. Jacket looks great.
In terms of stiffness, do you can compare it to the 5* goat?

Thank you. I cannot compare it unfortunately as I don't have the goat. I remember @Jin431 saying the goat was stiffer than the cowhide but don't know in comparison to the steer. I've asked Shawn before ordering it and he said the steer is stiffer but maybe you should double-check with him.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Reactions: Riu

Riu

Practically Family
This jacket came out well!
When worn, the leather looks just right, and the sleeves ended up tapering the correct way.
Congratulations!

Thank you! I like it apart from a few minor things. One thing that I've noticed is when the sleeve zipper is closed fully the leather bulges a bit too much and I saw there are two layers. It might be worth mentioning if someone orders a CR to pay attention to this.

IMG_5282.JPG

Riu

Practically Family
Between heavy cotton lining and quilted lining. Which lining is warmer?

I have a heavy cotton lining and I can say the quilted is warmer. I wore it today and I'm usually cold but with the leather being thicker and the quilted lining I had no issues at all.

Thank you! I like it apart from a few minor things. One thing that I've noticed is when the sleeve zipper is closed fully the leather bulges a bit too much and I saw there are two layers. It might be worth mentioning if someone orders a CR to pay attention to this.

View attachment 311572
Aero does this too. I like thinner leather in the gussets. The Indian Ranger used a windflap in the sleeves instead of a full connected gusset.
8AE0FADB-C65E-4854-94F4-F88A3E9D920E.jpeg

Last edited:

Riu

Practically Family
Well! That fit looks a lot better than the aero you had! How do you feel about this guy? Keeper, no?

The main zipper, zipper sleeves and the ring pulls look good and seems of better quality than what they used to use

Congrats my friend!

Thank you @Jin431! It feels great and I added an inch to the chest for layering, I'm happy I did that as it's really comfortable with a sweater. The first pictures are taken with a sweater underneath.

I also like how it looks with just a t-shirt and unzipped. Definitely a keeper :)

IMG_5278.JPG
IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5281.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko