Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are shearling king @MrProper! How cold is your city??
lol
Not cold enough. But I like to have it warm and that's ok.
Currently it is around 5 degrees Celsius. A typical winter has around 0 - -5 degrees Celsius, but can also go to -15. In the mountains even lower.
From December to March I have many opportunities to wear shearling.

MrProper

@MrProper Congratulations. This one looks stunning. You already have a massive shealing jacket collection!
I guess that's true.
But if it fits the way I want it to, then I'm done with Shearling. Three jackets and two vests are more than enough in our latitudes.
But so I have medium warm (8-10 mm fleece), warm (15 mm) and very warm (22 mm).

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I guess that's true.
But if it fits the way I want it to, then I'm done with Shearling. Three jackets and two vests are more than enough in our latitudes.

"I'm done with Shearling" :p Yes, I know this mantra-like sentence too good...but I believe you ;) Btw. I'm still struggling with myself whether or not selling my RMC NZ B-3 because of the probably too warm climate we live in.

MrProper

"I'm done with Shearling" :p Yes, I know this mantra-like sentence too good...but I believe you ;) Btw. I'm still struggling with myself whether or not selling my RMC NZ B-3 because of the probably too warm climate we live in.

lol
To sell or not? Since I would think it probably depends on how well you like the jacket as such.
I see it like this: if I like the shearling, it fits well and I like myself in it, then it is a pleasure to wear this, even if it should only be a few times a year. That is then like a holiday.
In addition, I wear my Shearlings also sometimes in the house, when the heating does not warm everywhere equally well or in the transitional period, when the heating is not yet on. Or when sitting in the garden, on a fresh early or late summer evening.
And sometimes my colleagues might be irritated when I sit in the video call wearing the Shearling vest.
Last week I wore the 15 mm Shearling (Aero) for a family walk in windy fall weather. Was perfect. Had I gone alone, however, it would have been too warm. lol

In short...if you like it, you'll find opportunities. If not, get rid of it.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
lol
To sell or not? Since I would think it probably depends on how well you like the jacket as such.
I see it like this: if I like the shearling, it fits well and I like myself in it, then it is a pleasure to wear this, even if it should only be a few times a year. That is then like a holiday.
In addition, I wear my Shearlings also sometimes in the house, when the heating does not warm everywhere equally well or in the transitional period, when the heating is not yet on. Or when sitting in the garden, on a fresh early or late summer evening.
And sometimes my colleagues might be irritated when I sit in the video call wearing the Shearling vest.
Last week I wore the 15 mm Shearling (Aero) for a family walk in windy fall weather. Was perfect. Had I gone alone, however, it would have been too warm. lol

In short...if you like it, you'll find opportunities. If not, get rid of it.
Thanks and good point - I should wear it in my home office and turning off the heating ;) If it was one size smaller it would be an excellent fit, now it's a good fit. I really like this jacket (had been admiring and searching for one for years) and like the style much more than thinner shearlings like B-6, ANJ-4 for instance. I guess I should give it a try when it's getting colder here and then decide, also from fit perspective. I just want to avoid that I sell it and then regret it as it's nearly impossible to find one again in the EU in this condition at this price.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys think:

Red Irvin RAF stock pattern sizing VS Red Irvin Cafe Racer/HWM/Roadster custom pattern sizing

red shearling 2.jpg

After seeing MrPropers RedIrvin photos I couldn't resist. It's all that's been on my mind since yestereday. And my impulse only grew stronger.

Red Irvin RAF stock sizing Pros/Cons:
Pro: Stock pattern means I might possibly get this jacket by Xmas and still wear it this winter.
Con: I already have a dark brown RAF jacket. It would be nice to try a different design. But I quite like the RAF pattern and my closet looks quite the same in designs just different colors. Wearing the same design in different shades is what I usually do.

Red Irvin Cafe Racer HWM Roadster Pros/Cons:
Pro: It's something new. But it's the leather that is must have for me. I wouldn't favor this design over the original RAF one. But it's nice to diversify the closet for a change.
Con: Custom can take longer to deliver. I might not have the jacket until the winter's over and I'd be sitting on it until the winter. I do want at least a few wears this winter for sure.

Damn it I will sit on this again until after lunch. The hunger is not helping with sound decision making.

MrProper

What do you guys think:

Red Irvin RAF stock pattern sizing VS Red Irvin Cafe Racer/HWM/Roadster custom pattern sizing

View attachment 380417
After seeing MrPropers RedIrvin photos I couldn't resist. It's all that's been on my mind since yestereday. And my impulse only grew stronger.

Pro: Stock pattern means I might possibly get this jacket by Xmas and still wear it this winter.
Con: I already have a dark brown RAF jacket. It would be nice to try a different design. But I quite like the RAF pattern and my closet looks quite the same in designs just different colors. Wearing the same design in different shades is what I usually do.

Pro: It's something new. But it's the leather that is must have for me. I wouldn't favor this design over the original RAF one. But it's nice to diversify the closet for a change.
Con: Custom can take longer to deliver. I might not have the jacket until the winter's over and I'd be sitting on it until the winter. I do want at least a few wears this winter for sure.

Damn it I will sit on this again until after lunch. The hunger is not helping with sound decision making.

Both good. And I think custom will also be feasible before christmas.
Shawn is just practiced with the leather ;-)
I don't like the reinforcements in another leather in combination with the reddish.
That's why I wanted something that would work without those reinforcements.
If you don't care, why not another RAF? Or M-444?

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
So far I would say that the 22mm Irvin fleece is not as dense as the ones I had from noble house which were always way to warm even with a t shirt in -5 degree Celsius .
The jacket is still warm but the curly hairs make it look denser .
Which make it more practical since you don't sweat like a pig outside and freeze inside buildings because you didn't bring a sweater.

If you had a nightmarish past with long hair shearlings than I would give this one a try .

This is not a quality problem .Just a different breed of sheep . I haven't handled aero fleece but it looks similar in curlyness and density .

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Both good. And I think custom will also be feasible before christmas.
Shawn is just practiced with the leather ;-)
I don't like the reinforcements in another leather in combination with the reddish.
That's why I wanted something that would work without those reinforcements.
If you don't care, why not another RAF? Or M-444?

The timing is cutting really close. My last RAF Irvin jacket took about two weeks from order to ship date, and it was just stock pattern. If this one is similar lead time then it will just make the shipping deadline for Xmas delivery. Xmas shipping always takes the extra two weeks to deliver for my area.

I almost went for the M-444 and M445 when they first came out. But the stock sizes were an inch and half longer than what I would usually go for.

The seam detail on your jacket looks a LOT nicer than the RAF jackets. This is one of the big reason for my internal conflict too. It looks a lot more refined and premium than the military slap together RAF jackets.

So far I would say that the 22mm Irvin fleece is not as dense as the ones I had from noble house which were always way to warm even with a t shirt in -5 degree Celsius .
The jacket is still warm but the curly hairs make it look denser .
Which make it more practical since you don't sweat like a pig outside and freeze inside buildings because you didn't bring a sweater.

If you had a nightmarish past with long hair shearlings than I would give this one a try .

This is not a quality problem .Just a different breed of sheep . I haven't handled aero fleece but it looks similar in curlyness and density .

I noticed this too. You are comparing the B3 dense sheep fur to the Irvin curly sheep fur right?

So far I am really liking the Irvin curly sheep though. It feels fluffy but substantial. For everyday wear, I would pick the Irvin style fur over the dense fur for sure.

Do you happen to know the different sheeps for the different furs? Sheepskin is all over the places as it seems. There are some thick/heavyweight 1.8mm grain sheepskins and there are the usual 1.0mm grain sheepskins. Different breeds seems to make huge differences.

Berto

One of the Regulars
I guess that's true.
There is always one more shearling jacket

Jhonnybebueno

New in Town
Best way to contact for custom? I emailed and did not receive a response.
I've contacted Shawn via email a few times and he always answers hahaha. It's true that the first time it took him maybe a few days, but I think there was a weekend in between.. How long ago did you send the email?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys think:

View attachment 380417

I think @MrProper design in red sheep is tremendous. How do you refer to this pattern when you contact Shawn? Just send him a picture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ