Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

troika

New in Town
How do people know how to request an armhole size and the corresponding sleeve width? Seems like a pattern making detail that's tough to judge as a layman

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
True-- I'm just basing it on measurements from my vintage jacket and on Ton321's experience, since the jacket I plan to make is built from the same pattern block.

@ton321 : I was looking at pictures on the Library of Congress website today and stumbled across this. The smiling guy in the foreground looks to be wearing the jacket that you recreated in the Red Russet. Californian, I think it was? Like the GW Arcadia.
service-pnp-fsa-8d28000-8d28000-8d28045v.jpg

@ton312 : Yes-- that is a definite improvement. Is the armscye on their HB 11"? Based on measuring my old Hercules, I asked for:

Armscye: 11"
Bicep: 8.5" (although I think 8" might actually be better, though)
Elbow: 7"
Cuff: 6"

Also, thank you for all of the experimentation and sharing you have done with these jackets-- it really helps the rest of us dial things in for a good fit.
Yes indeed, closer maybe to 10.5” with my ideal for high cut armholes being 10”. Is peeled all this out to Shawn in previous orders but did not do so with this last one. Thankfully Dena was able to rescue the sleeves without altering the body, as that process would be far more costly!

thor

One Too Many
6F65834F-1500-49FD-88AA-EB918A148CE9.jpeg
3919C357-8C4A-4260-B271-FA6A2400D71D.jpeg

I just picked up this 5-Star Bronco A-2 repro off eBay, lightly used, in conic (cognac?) brown goatskin. Perfect fit, light yet robust leather, excellent workmanship. Their conic brown goatskin is a perfect match for an original WWII russet goat A-2 that I used to own. Great weathering, patina and overall “character” on this specific leather.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Man I want a another five star.
I cannot decide between a black steer/Horsehide Cossack or getting a Toni design again .

Can someone judge by my awful holiday pictures if I should make the armholes higher/smaller ?
I am way to harsh myself .

This is the exact same jacket as pictured on the five star website .
The grain has gotten more pronounced and sorry "scrotum" grain is starting to form in some high stress areas .
The Jacket has been conditioned multiple times over let's say 9-10 months I think .Worn in rain snow and heavy sun .
Basically giving it the Indiana Jones treatment just less action heavy .

IMG_20220204_111805.jpg

I will post some close ups

Overall great leather
This Steerhide had the glazing which seems to be the standard finish now .

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_113354.jpg
    IMG_20220219_113354.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220204_112326.jpg
    IMG_20220204_112326.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I cannot decide between a black steer/Horsehide Cossack or getting a Toni design again .

Can someone judge by my awful holiday pictures if I should make the armholes higher/smaller ?

The grain has gotten more pronounced and sorry "scrotum" grain is starting to form in some high stress areas .
The Jacket has been conditioned multiple times over let's say 9-10 months I think .Worn in rain snow and heavy sun .

View attachment 404071

Overall great leather
Looks good. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

ojaw

A-List Customer

View attachment 404071

Overall great leather
Keeping in mind that I'm a know-nothing, I'd say they do seem big compared to the body, but if going smaller would in any way create discomfort then leave the measurements as they are. Comfort > Insta-fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21