Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
No it is not stiff. Not at all. Check the drape / fit pic back a few pages. Soft as goatskin, but thicker, and more rustic grains. I compared it to Horween Vermonts, which is a veg retan pigment leather, not stiff like CXL.

Where is the gallery thing in the new forum format?
Was there a particular horsehide that has this quality you describe? I was think the seal looks great

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Couple of shots of the HH pull-up I recently received from 5*.
I forgot to specify what fabric in the handwarmer pockets. They put the same wool as is in the body of the jacket. I haven't decided if I like it or not . It's warm but a bit scratchy.

Beauty!

This post is about Shawn's newest batch of horsehide, and his 1940s LAPD CHP jacket.

1. The newest horsehide from Shawn = Horween Vermont Horsehide
Or
2. Horween Vermont Horsehide = Shawn's newest batch of horsehide.
3. Fur lined cuffs is Storm Cuffs. Why didn't I experience this before.

Many moons ago, before Shawn had any horse hides in stock. I bought some Horween Vermonts in the heavier weight 3.5oz and sent them to him. Tonight, I am reunited with it in the form of his new CHP jacket.

The very first thing I did, was to compare his mid brown horsehide to the Horween. I am quite shocked. The Horween is a darker brown, but everything else is about the same.

View attachment 406152

This is huge for me. HUGE. Prior to this, I've already got a bunch of his premium goats, one not so premium goat, two stiffy CHLs. If I could travel back in time and redo this all over, I only do the premium goat in seal color and rest I do in the new horsehides.

The HB weighs just under 5lbs, and the CHP weights exactly 5lbs. About 0.2lbs difference. Could just be my bathroom scale margin of error. Hand feel and everything else is identical. There is no need to import Horweens.

It seems that Shawn has up'ed his leather game very fast since just a few months ago. I've got his 2mm horsehide coming soon and I cannot wait.

Now about his CHP jacket pattern. I think I got it stock size 42 without belt. Not sure. I have his cycle champ copy. This CHP is shorter but way better pattern in terms of movement. Very big shoulders about 20" with soft padding. Very big P2P about 24" which is similar to the Oakland PD jackets I have. There is also reinforcements in the front bottom band and back beaver tail. Here is the measurements of the size 42. I am quite certain this is stock sizing but best to check with him directly.

View attachment 406153

Fit pic with lower waist jeans:
View attachment 406154
View attachment 406155
View attachment 406156

Front fit with regular waist wool trousers:
View attachment 406158

So this pattern is about one inch shorter than my Oakland PD jacket, in the front. This is also definitely not slim fit. With about 6" drop relaxed to 10" drop or more cinched. I am already planning a 2mm horsehide straight zip no beaver tail version. Very comfortable pattern.

Now about the fur lined cuff design. I wish I had this in all my winter jackets, no matter what style. I prefer this over the knit storm cuffs. Very premium design, with the fur.

View attachment 406159

I've also noticed a significant improvement in hardware quality from Shawn. The buckles are now heavy nickle plated solid brass instead of thinner metal ones. I've also asked for the Lightning zipper upgrades. They are only number 8 but very premium feeling.

View attachment 406160
View attachment 406161

The two most recent jackets I got from Shawn showed BIG LEAPS since just last year. His goatskin were always premium but that's about it. Now the hardware has been upgraded and new horse hides are in stock. The lines of what is considered premium has been blurred. Big time.
It used to be "There is a lot of value in 5Star jacket, but it's still less than a thousand dollar jacket."
Now it has become, "Why is Shawn selling thousand dollar jacket at less than half the price". This is my opinion.
The website and marketing could still use some improvement. Patterns and styles could also use some upgrade. Although I've found that best results are direct repros/copy from old patterns, not customs. But as far as jacket goes, with the new horsehide options, pound for pound, there is no gap anymore. The new horsehide options really did it.
This looks fantastic. Hide looks good, cut is just right. I love the buckle instead of laces. The hardware is a massive improvement in and of itself. Well done!

Can’t wait for the pics of my pull up HH Halfbelt. Should be any day now.

troika

New in Town
How mismatched are the measurements of the jacket you received compared to what you requested? I'm asking because I'm thinking of ordering a trucker from them. I think if we see how they interpret the measurements it may be easier to order accurately. Actually on their website they say that the jacket chest size is 4"to 6" wider than the actual size.

I think the shoulders on the moto were about 1" wider than I had requested initially, but I didn't notice until way after I already wore it quite a bit. I've ordered 7 jackets from them now, and aside from that, every other measurement was dead on. I'm not sure what discrepancy you're referring to, it could just be body measurement vs garment measurement.

Also, these are incoming. Winchester for me in black goat:
IMG20220301160843.jpg

IMG20220301185115.jpg

And a black suede trucker for my wife:
IMG20220301161826.jpg

As always, Shawn is hitting it out of the park with the photography skills...

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the shoulders on the moto were about 1" wider than I had requested initially, but I didn't notice until way after I already wore it quite a bit. I've ordered 7 jackets from them now, and aside from that, every other measurement was dead on. I'm not sure what discrepancy you're referring to, it could just be body measurement vs garment measurement.

Also, these are incoming. Winchester for me in black goat:
View attachment 406218

View attachment 406219

And a black suede trucker for my wife:
View attachment 406222

As always, Shawn is hitting it out of the park with the photography skills...

Really curious to hear your impressions and fit pics when you get your hands on them!

Toxdoc

New in Town
Received the approval pics for my hh cossack today and even with the usual flaws in product photography I‘m very pleased with the result so far

Attachments

• 3A4C7754-E13F-4FF4-A399-EE7D5EDEC105.jpeg
    3A4C7754-E13F-4FF4-A399-EE7D5EDEC105.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 124
  • 2CBAFD96-8DB8-4F5B-9276-BF731E49F1DE.jpeg
    2CBAFD96-8DB8-4F5B-9276-BF731E49F1DE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 123
  • C470E4DC-E708-4AE5-9F7D-B094D99C578D.jpeg
    C470E4DC-E708-4AE5-9F7D-B094D99C578D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 108
  • 26E1FD02-C1DE-4551-847A-8B9ED27505AC.jpeg
    26E1FD02-C1DE-4551-847A-8B9ED27505AC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 112
  • 5EC38CEC-71B9-4B8A-9ED7-5BCB0F6DD55A.jpeg
    5EC38CEC-71B9-4B8A-9ED7-5BCB0F6DD55A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 105
  • 98D83381-6674-455C-B3F1-77E46CA3EAC0.jpeg
    98D83381-6674-455C-B3F1-77E46CA3EAC0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
  • B23F28CF-1AB3-434B-A3CB-4BB15AAF582B.jpeg
    B23F28CF-1AB3-434B-A3CB-4BB15AAF582B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 113

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Canuck Panda what is Shawn's name for this hide?
Was there a particular horsehide that has this quality you describe? I was think the seal looks great
My HB was made in the "mid brown horsehide". According to his FB post, he's had this in stock for a few months now. I never looked into Shawn's horsehide options because there were not a lot said about them. I was always under the suspicion that they were thin and not good. I WAS WRONG. All the money I could've saved from shipping him Horweens I could've gotten a few more jackets from him with his house horse hides.
It would be helpful if other mid brown horsehide owners can come forth and prove me right or wrong. Either way, there isn't a lot said about Shawn's horsehide offering.
To be clear, Shawn's horsehide (at least the mid brown one I have) is PIGMENT FINISH, over retan core. Shinki calls this teacore, and theirs is shinier because the high gloss paint. Horween calls this Vermont, and theirs is semi gloss paint. Aero's Jerky is shiny like Shinki but red core. In terms of thickness, Shawn's horsehide is thicker than 2.5oz Shinki, and about the same as Horween 3.25oz or the 3oz Aero Jerky. Drape is very soft.
This was from his FB post:
Image1.jpg

This looks fantastic. Hide looks good, cut is just right. I love the buckle instead of laces. The hardware is a massive improvement in and of itself. Well done!

Can’t wait for the pics of my pull up HH Halfbelt. Should be any day now.
Thanks man I can't wait to see your pull up HB.
The Lightning hardware is good stuff. Feels chunky like the number 10 Ykks, but only size 8 and better finish. Lots has changed/improved over the past months. Wow.

Can anyone comment on the Talon repro zips? Is it bell shape only? Boxy Talons? Rectangle Talons? Quality? Thanks.

My HB was made in the "mid brown horsehide". According to his FB post, he's had this in stock for a few months now. I never looked into Shawn's horsehide options because there were not a lot said about them. I was always under the suspicion that they were thin and not good. I WAS WRONG. All the money I could've saved from shipping him Horweens I could've gotten a few more jackets from him with his house horse hides.
It would be helpful if other mid brown horsehide owners can come forth and prove me right or wrong. Either way, there isn't a lot said about Shawn's horsehide offering.
To be clear, Shawn's horsehide (at least the mid brown one I have) is PIGMENT FINISH, over retan core. Shinki calls this teacore, and theirs is shinier because the high gloss paint. Horween calls this Vermont, and theirs is semi gloss paint. Aero's Jerky is shiny like Shinki but red core. In terms of thickness, Shawn's horsehide is thicker than 2.5oz Shinki, and about the same as Horween 3.25oz or the 3oz Aero Jerky. Drape is very soft.
This was from his FB post:
View attachment 406257

Thanks man I can't wait to see your pull up HB.
The Lightning hardware is good stuff. Feels chunky like the number 10 Ykks, but only size 8 and better finish. Lots has changed/improved over the past months. Wow.

Can anyone comment on the Talon repro zips? Is it bell shape only? Boxy Talons? Rectangle Talons? Quality? Thanks.
All my 5 Star have the Bell shaped Talons, they are fine. No different than what you'd get from Aero. I haven't seen any other pull shape from Shawn in the Talon family.

Peacoat

Bartender
@Marc mndt - what I forgot to add to the post above, what I believe is crucial, was a quote directly from the forum rules, or better said rules of the house. I quote; "This is a PRIVATE CLUB (It's privately owned and paid for), so behave with respect, civility and decorum to the Management, the Members and the Club, as you would do in any 'Private Club' around the World."

That's all there is to it, really. Such a simple task that 99.9% of the forum members are able to flawlessly achieve.

People's mileage may vary on what is considered "respectful behavior", but I'm sure most would draw the line when being told to "take a s*** or get off the pot", "clown", "wild clown", or various insinuations that the clothes they're wearing belong in the garbage bin, among other things. Plenty of those posts have been deleted, but I'm sure you get my point. There is actual disagreement, and then there is something else that is "claimed" to be disagreement, but is really far from it. One can behave like an adult, and then one can also behave like a child, or even an adult with behavioral disorders. But again, you're right. I've now implemented the ignore function.

Thanks again and take care. :)
This bickering has now left the first thread and has taken over the 5 Star thread.

Stop it.

I am going to leave this thread locked for awhile so everyone can see my warning. When I reopen it, leave it alone.

KBlake

One Too Many
What are people's thoughts on matching shoes with jacket? Should one not mix brown and black?

Is leather color just a matter of preference or does one color, brown for example, show the character of leather better than, say, black?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I color coordinate my shoes/boots to my pants. And jacket to compliment the shirt and pants. To color coordinate all the leather pieces, jacket, belt, shoes would cost too much money unless everything is black. I guess that’s why black leather is the top choice.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What are people's thoughts on matching shoes with jacket? Should one not mix brown and black?

Is leather color just a matter of preference or does one color, brown for example, show the character of leather better than, say, black?
I actually like leather in brown better than in black. Nevertheless, I have both and mix shoes / belt / jacket as I like it. I don't believe in rules like "the belt has to be the same color as the shoes" or "black and brown don't go together". Either I like it or I don't. That is the only rule.

Edward

Bartender

This is one that comes up occasionally - we had a thread on it a few years back, here - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/matching-your-leather-jacket-and-shoes.83288/ - possibly another more recently, unless of course time is just playing tricks on my mind....!

It's an interesting consideration. I don't like mixing black and brown myself, makes me quite out of sorts, though oxblood or green / blue leather I will happily mix with either black or brown. Some folks prefer not to be too matching as they feel it looks like they've made too much effort - though of course it's equally possible to go the other way and make a huge effort to look like you've made none at all. Storses for courses, as we used to say in these parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner