Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a question about Five Star if anyone would be so kind as to indulge me.

It's about my favourite topic - sizing.

On the website, it lists a size 38 jackets as XXS. Is this inline with how the jackets fit from your experience? I am normally a size 38 in most tops. Sometimes I size down a little - especially with jackets - to get a more fitted look. I'm just concerned that even their "XXS" may even be a little too big for me in places. Which sounds nuts for an XXS sizing.

In general, I've been looking at A2 styles.
I always go to my chest size, then check if the corresponding shoulder size works. If not I go up or down according shoulder size. Every other dims can be altered/tailored/taken in to fit.
Image1.jpg

Is the brown half belt you washed mid brown, russet or pull up? It's a great chocolate brown color with little to no red in it.
No Red in the mid brown. That's why the other two options seems better to me. I like red.
But my mid brown also seems thicker. Which I prefer over thinner leather. So eager to find out how much others weigh.
Cloudy morning outside photo of the mid brown. No red. I say darker milk chocolate. No shine. Very conservative. But thicker as it seems than other (I am judging by the seam thickness).
IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6237.JPG

And now a better shot of the Hulking 2mm horsehide from Shawn. This I am most excited about. It was suppose to be the closing chapter of my Type3 Truckers Trilogy, but as logistics works out this will be the middle child, again.

275153717_465863388553033_2366024486577198684_n.jpg

274745757_914105009256892_6352798471875617951_n.jpg

275266597_493815252421157_1898925660959762334_n.jpg

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I don’t know guys…

I REALLY like my new jacket— the style and the fit are spot-on. But… the seal is so dark. I might sell this one on and try again with a different hide. Idk yet.

I’m having a Goldilocks moment. The pull up looks fantastic— but it’s maybe a little lighter than I’m looking for. The seal is nice, but it is too dark…. Has anybody seen the Russet Horsehide yet??? I’ve seen some pictures of swatches. Has anybody had a jacket made in it yet?

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
I got my Five Star two days ago, ahead of the estimated delivery date. I’m very very pleased. The goatskin is like no other leather I’ve ever handled, and the conic color looks way better in person. Also the cotton drill and mouton are both thick and seemingly high quality. I was a bit worried about how it would fit, but it’s nearly perfect. I should have had another quarter inch taken off the sleeves and asked to have them tapered, but these are trivial complaints that don’t bother me. I’m definitely going to be ordering more Five Star jackets, so I’ll know to ask for this in the future. Like my Taylor’s CPD jacket, also made in Pakistan, the quality of the product I received is well and truly above what I paid.

EE01DA5B-7799-4F0D-93B7-6A30A4B715F1.jpeg
A9AA3777-8A99-44DD-9E36-B92010893118.jpeg

I don’t know guys…

I REALLY like my new jacket— the style and the fit are spot-on. But… the seal is so dark. I might sell this one on and try again with a different hide. Idk yet.

I’m having a Goldilocks moment. The pull up looks fantastic— but it’s maybe a little lighter than I’m looking for. The seal is nice, but it is too dark…. Has anybody seen the Russet Horsehide yet??? I’ve seen some pictures of swatches. Has anybody had a jacket made in it yet?
I had the russet steer and it was pretty dreadful. If you go back you can see my chronicle of dying it. Very flat. I would worry the russet HH might be the same.
PS-I’ll likely buy your jacket should you choose to sell it. I love it!

I always go to my chest size, then check if the corresponding shoulder size works. If not I go up or down according shoulder size. Every other dims can be altered/tailored/taken in to fit.
View attachment 408529

No Red in the mid brown. That's why the other two options seems better to me. I like red.
But my mid brown also seems thicker. Which I prefer over thinner leather. So eager to find out how much others weigh.
Cloudy morning outside photo of the mid brown. No red. I say darker milk chocolate. No shine. Very conservative. But thicker as it seems than other (I am judging by the seam thickness).
View attachment 408530
View attachment 408533

And now a better shot of the Hulking 2mm horsehide from Shawn. This I am most excited about. It was suppose to be the closing chapter of my Type3 Truckers Trilogy, but as logistics works out this will be the middle child, again.

View attachment 408534
View attachment 408535
View attachment 408536
I just saw this on FB and nearly shot a brick. What a beast!!!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Griemersma I second what Ton said about Russet. Don't. I think his pull up would be the better choice. I have the russet goats. Even though they are thick and good leather, I never got around to like its milk chocolate colour. I also think your seal is the nicer color. The mid brown is really right in the middle, not eye catching like the pull up and not rich like the seal.

Something hit me... We can ask Shawn to take a photos of upcoming horsehide jackets or just leather side by side just to see the difference. Even in his factory lighting at least we can see the different shades.

@ton312 Fingers crossed on the 2mm. It looks soft in the video but I am still afraid of CHL Mk2... But I gotta try this. Even with the extra shipping cost, 2mm horsehide is still 2mm horsehide. The softness we will soon find out...

Your pull up horse HB turned out awesome! Can't see what you got cooking next!

Rawky

One of the Regulars
View attachment 408529

Where did you get that chart from? All the charts I come across say XXS is size 38.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
@Canuck Panda in your experience, does wearing the goatskin "shrink" the length of the sleeves, or is it too springy for that? I know the sleeves of my horsehide Aero have shortened up a tiny bit as they crease with wear, but horsehide is a whole different animal, quite literally

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Rawky That was the size chart for the Dubow repro I think. Don't worry about the size tag, just look for your chest size and then see if the other measurements will work. His tag size is going to be different for different A2 patterns.
Also if you care for historical accuracy its probably best to go with the contracts he copied directly from a vintage.

@hughesovka I think it's the lining that is the culprit. My Highwayman sleeves felt shorter after about a year too. But I can pull it down still.
Shawn's premium goat is good stuff. Not his thin crappy goat which unfortunately I got one too. It is hardy leather. Just wear. It will be fine with rain/washing...etc. Just lay flat or hang dry away from direct heat. Same with all leather in general. The veg retan portion of the leather will feel slightly stiffer after it's dried but with one wear it softens again. I kinda like the slight stiff. Some goat is too soft.

What @MrProper said about russet ^^^
I think this leather is really for his A2 customers. We need a cordovan / oxblood color way from Shawn for the civilian jackets, stat!

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Shawn's premium goat is good stuff. Not his thin crappy goat which unfortunately I got one too. It is hardy leather. Just wear. It will be fine with rain/washing...etc. Just lay flat or hang dry away from direct heat. Same with all leather in general. The veg retan portion of the leather will feel slightly stiffer after it's dried but with one wear it softens again. I kinda like the slight stiff. Some goat is too soft.
Yeah, I wasn't really sure what to expect with the goat as I've never handled goat leather before to my knowledge. But it's nice and thick, but very flexible. It doesn't fight you at all, but its still a very substantial hide. Also, it bears repeating that the conic color looks a million times better in person than it does on the Five Star website, which is another pleasant surprise. The examples on the website have this kind of sickly pink hue to them, and if I hadn't seen other pictures of the conic in this thread, I wouldn't have gone with it.

IMG_20220310_162205_2.jpg

rcdcr

New in Town
Fresh out of the box!! Shawn nailed it again!! My only fear is that this is going to get expensive. I want to redo two of my previous designs in this new horse. It’s sublime. I’m calling 2.75oz. Very easy to wear, plenty of body and grain. I freak’n love it. As I thought, it is more a true russet than a pull up hide. Which is perfectly good to me. No need to alter the color. Exceptional value! Well done Shawn! He finally did it!!!!
View attachment 408310 View attachment 408311
View attachment 408312
View attachment 408313
What's the name / color of this leather? I definitely want to get something in whatever this is!!!

troika

New in Town
Is there a thread on FL for getting help with measurement adjustments? Like a tailors/pattern makers advice thread?

I'd really like to nail down my arm hole/sleeve width before my next order. Where would the best place for that be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ