Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Depends how you look at it. But the math is that 2 FiveStar custom jackets equals to 1 Aero on sale jacket. Or 3 FiveStar custom jackets equals to 1 Aero custom jacket.
It would still be wasted money if the jacket doesn't work, no matter how inexpensive or expensive it is.
Take your time, don't rush!

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
My Five Star has passed the functionality test this evening. It's in the low 20 degrees, howling winds, and it's been snowing and sleeting all day here in New York City. The goatskin grizzly performed admirably and was very comfortable outside. Probably more due to the thick mouton than the cotton drill lining, but still. That ain't bad

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Oh, I agree, just saying that mouton warms, cotton on it’s own loses what little warmth it provides once things get stormy.
Very true. I'm interested in how the quilted or wool lined Five Star jackets perform when they don't have mouton panels on the body blocking the wind and cold

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Another picture of the black 1.2 semi semi horsehide grain on the LAPD replica
48428D82-FF91-4761-9A83-444FB9868751.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know what this model is based on? Or is it just a general mashup of styles from the era?

View attachment 409516
That's my Frankenstein jacket. It's the built on the same pattern as the Cycle Champ (shape and size).
It was a smash up of these two using his "existing parts", A1 pockets, already developed button cuffs...etc. This was from the early 5Star days.
If I could redo I just copy the Block directly. Maybe make the cargo pockets with a hand warmer slit so its more useful in real life situations.

blockbilt.jpg

AviatorOriginal_front-1.jpg

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
That's my Frankenstein jacket. It's the built on the same pattern as the Cycle Champ (shape and size).
It was a smash up of these two using his "existing parts", A1 pockets, already developed button cuffs...etc. This was from the early 5Star days.
If I could redo I just copy the Block directly. Maybe make the cargo pockets with a hand warmer slit so its more useful in real life situations.

View attachment 409884
View attachment 409885
Nicely done! I really like it. I was envisioning it with hand warmer pockets and maybe a small pocket on the chest, perhaps in a contrasting colored leather

rcdcr

New in Town
Shawn calls it pull up. I call it russet. It’s a great color but I don’t see much pull up.
It looks super nice. I wanted to get something lightweight from 5star, maybe a goatskin - but it looks like this is a good option too?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The second chapter of my Type III Trilogy takes place in an exotic city on the other side of the world.

First up, the leather. 2mm horsehide. Yes, 2mm horsehide. How pliable is it? How soft is it? What is the hand feel / surface texture / color like?

Collapsed on the floor next to its 1.2mm little brother. The 2mm horsehide is wearable out of the box. Very thick, but soft and pliable.
IMG_6995.jpg

Detailed shot of the top stitch work on the pocket.
IMG_6989.JPG

And compared to another famous jacket maker who also uses very thick horsehide. The difference is that Shawn's black horsehide has a dark grey core, and I just assumed the other guy is black all the way through. The surface pigment is the same. The 2mm 5Star jacket weights about 7lbs, and the other one is a cross zip with belt and lots more metal parts and only weighs about one lb more. So this is comparatively a very monster (but pliable) jacket.
IMG_7059.JPG

In short, the 2mm is very good stuff. However, only in black right now. No brown.

Where else can one get a 2mm horsehide jacket? The only down side is the extra shipping cost. And that the DHL guys might swipe your new 5Star. My package was opened and re-sealed. I am sure the ground crew guys had their fun with this jacket.
IMG_6924.JPG

Now about Shawn's trucker jacket pattern. It has HIGH armholes. Slim fit body. Very Thedi. Not what I am used to. And it shows/feels more with the 2mm leather. The shoulder has a squared profile than the rounded I am accustomed to. For sizing, I chose to customize the standard L size with shorter sleeves (26") and shorter back (25") and tighter bottom opening (41" or 20.5" flat). Imo Shawn's stock sizing is on the longer side. So watch the length, unless you are 6'2".

IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7023.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

Here are some outside shots right outta the box this afternoon. The black is not jet black but blacken anthracite.
IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6983.JPG

I am not sure about the high armholes and the square shoulder. Mainly because most of my heavy leather jackets are all made with lower arm hole / rounded shoulder patterns. I will report back in a while to see if the two mash well together (for me). But this seems like how the Japanese brand Y2 is doing it too, 2mm high armhole, square shoulders. I just don't know because I don't.

The 2mm horsehide is the real deal. I am glad Shawn finally did it. This was a very special jacket for me and I appreciate all the work that were put in, including my two CHL jackets. Very few makers offer this (2mm horsehide), and the ones who do cost quite a bit more. So Shawn is selling 2 thousand dollar jackets for 400 now. Nice way to kick off the spring break!

MTS

Familiar Face
@Canuck Panda that looks great man! You really make me want to order a new jacket in that horsehide...

did you ask for rounded shoulders at all? I think the fit looks pretty good and should settle in

Rugby

One of the Regulars
The second chapter of my Type III Trilogy takes place in an exotic city on the other side of the world.

First up, the leather. 2mm horsehide. Yes, 2mm horsehide. How pliable is it? How soft is it? What is the hand feel / surface texture / color like?

Collapsed on the floor next to its 1.2mm little brother. The 2mm horsehide is wearable out of the box. Very thick, but soft and pliable. View attachment 410007

Detailed shot of the top stitch work on the pocket.
View attachment 410008

And compared to another famous jacket maker who also uses very thick horsehide. The difference is that Shawn's black horsehide has a dark grey core, and I just assumed the other guy is black all the way through. The surface pigment is the same. The 2mm 5Star jacket weights about 7lbs, and the other one is a cross zip with belt and lots more metal parts and only weighs about one lb more. So this is comparatively a very monster (but pliable) jacket.
View attachment 410009

In short, the 2mm is very good stuff. However, only in black right now. No brown.

Where else can one get a 2mm horsehide jacket? The only down side is the extra shipping cost. And that the DHL guys might swipe your new 5Star. My package was opened and re-sealed. I am sure the ground crew guys had their fun with this jacket.
View attachment 410013

Now about Shawn's trucker jacket pattern. It has HIGH armholes. Slim fit body. Very Thedi. Not what I am used to. And it shows/feels more with the 2mm leather. The shoulder has a squared profile than the rounded I am accustomed to. For sizing, I chose to customize the standard L size with shorter sleeves (26") and shorter back (25") and tighter bottom opening (41" or 20.5" flat). Imo Shawn's stock sizing is on the longer side. So watch the length, unless you are 6'2".

View attachment 410014
View attachment 410015
View attachment 410016

Here are some outside shots right outta the box this afternoon. The black is not jet black but blacken anthracite.
View attachment 410017
View attachment 410018

I am not sure about the high armholes and the square shoulder. Mainly because most of my heavy leather jackets are all made with lower arm hole / rounded shoulder patterns. I will report back in a while to see if the two mash well together (for me). But this seems like how the Japanese brand Y2 is doing it too, 2mm high armhole, square shoulders. I just don't know because I don't.

The 2mm horsehide is the real deal. I am glad Shawn finally did it. This was a very special jacket for me and I appreciate all the work that were put in, including my two CHL jackets. Very few makers offer this (2mm horsehide), and the ones who do cost quite a bit more. So Shawn is selling 2 thousand dollar jackets for 400 now. Nice way to kick off the spring break!
That jacket looks great!
I've ordered the black 1.3mm horsehide in a trucker. They said that the 2mm is waterproof. How would the 1.3mm not be waterproof, I don't know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ