Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even the diagonal sleeve creases seem to be fixed, but maybe that's thanks to the thickness of the leather. Anyhow, awesome jacket. Congrats.

Makes me smile. You have definitely gotten the order process down. Just a stunning looking half belt with some serious grit. It’s badass! Congrats.

Best Shawn has done to date. Absolutely perfect!
Many thanks.

I am, unfortunately, quite inexperienced when it comes to the various manufacturers, but this jacket goes for me already in the direction of an end game.
Since other jackets will now have a very hard time coming out of the closet.
I think I will put two or three jackets times in the Classifieds.
I really wonder why it took me so long to end up with the Halfbelts. Just my style and again cooler than a CR with a collar.
And what I also wonder... why does a 5* manage to keep the measurements down to the mm on 2mm thick leather and other manufacturers reserve a tolerance of 1/2 inch?
(ok, there are other points for that at 5* lol).

The last two halfbelts are certainly my highest quality jackets out of 5*. If this continues, then all respect.

MrProper

Sleeve seems rotate to the right position, how is the movement? This is really a great looking jacket, congrats!! @MrProper
Movement is flawless. Of course I notice that the leather is thicker and it is still a bit stiff. The difference with the thinner halfbelt is about the same as between a thin and a very thick sweater.

By the way, the weight is not even that heavy with 5.62 los/2.55 kg. But the lining is also rather light. With the red wine colored satin of the brown jacket it would be slightly heavier.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
It's the perfect jacket.
Do you mind sharing the ratio of your waist measurement to the jacket waist measurement?
I'don't know if it's a perfect pattern, but it's atleast an extremely flattering pattern. Looks awesome. From sleeve dimensions to that perfect collar profile. Love the length and the subtle gap between the bottom of the hem and the start of the zipper. So many cool details.

MrProper

It's the perfect jacket.
Do you mind sharing the ratio of your waist measurement to the jacket waist measurement?
Measured directly above my belt, I have 96 cm circumference.
The jacket has roughly 50 cm measured from the outside. If I spread the jacket and then measured inside the waistband over the complete length, I come to 101 cm.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
This is Shawn's current "distressed steerhide brown". It's from some random jacket that he just sent me as an example, two pictures.

The lighting / setting can be somewhat misleading, but it doesn't look like a "bad" brown... I suppose? Would love to hear some thoughts.

IMG-20220413-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220413-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Measured directly above my belt, I have 96 cm circumference.
The jacket has roughly 50 cm measured from the outside. If I spread the jacket and then measured inside the waistband over the complete length, I come to 101 cm.
So, if I understand correctly, your body measurement to jacket measurement at the waist is about 0.95. At their website they recommend 0.88 and that's what they go by unless they're instructed otherwise. So, the secret to get a jacket as close as possible to the desired size is excruciatingly detailed instructions.

MrProper

and there is no guarantee that we (customers) will nail all the instructions correctly if we want to order one.
That’s easy. @ton312 has done all the preliminary work. That is, take the picture of the jacket from the front and back, enter the desired dimensions and order.

This leather will probably not be available again until there are sufficient requirements.
And Shawn said that this leather is hard to make at cost. I think he knows that for Made in Pakistan there is a ceiling that people are willing to pay for it. Hence asking a lot ;)
I would like to have 2 mm buttery soft deerskin ;)

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
That’s easy. @ton312 has done all the preliminary work. That is, take the picture of the jacket from the front and back, enter the desired dimensions and order.

This leather will probably not be available again until there are sufficient requirements.
And Shawn said that this leather is hard to make at cost. I think he knows that for Made in Pakistan there is a ceiling that people are willing to pay for it. Hence asking a lot ;)
I would like to have 2 mm buttery soft deerskin ;)
Can I ask what dimensions you sent them (or did you post already)? I think I’d be able to ratio it to my body size and would be plenty happy with this jacket in 1.2mm hh

Edit: It really is impressive how great this turned out… flawless from the looks of it.

MrProper

Can I ask what dimensions you sent them (or did you post already)? I think I’d be able to ratio it to my body size and would be plenty happy with this jacket in 1.2mm hh

Edit: It really is impressive how great this turned out… flawless from the looks of it.
I will give a link to a PDF tomorrow. Then you can see what I have specified.

Aloysius

Is my 5* eggregiously too long? I was afraid of going too short since I ride and don't want my lower back exposed on the bike. But I'm afraid this is too much :(
Doesn't seem like too much to me.

Do we have an updated list of the 1.2mm horse offerings?

Discussing on the 5* Facebook group is kind of useless because of argumentative ignorant people, lol (not referring to Shawn, or to the great posts by TFL/VLJ members).

MrProper

The really hard worn, a little more than 1 1/4 years old jacket of my daughter. The zippers still look like new (good thing, because they are not solid brass zipper, there would be aged look better ;))
The leather is flawless, which I would not have expected from the rather thinner Suede so.
Only the satin lining you notice the heavy wearing slowly something.
I now know the red, purple and red wine satin from 5* and think the red wine satin is heavy satin and the other two normal. I would definitely advise the heavy satin.
5A51A8ED-6E1C-4206-BE77-921D945213F6.jpeg
78FBB208-9129-40FB-94EB-FECBA475A38B.jpeg
40AFEBB6-9DE1-48CA-BD39-2AB1C6C787A4.jpeg

rcdcr

New in Town
This might be heresy, but I'm thinking of getting a cossack jacket made with raglan or semi-raglan sleeves. I see a few varsity-style jackets listed with raglan sleeves, so it seems like something they can do.

Do we think it would be a bad idea to request something more complicated - a semi-raglan sleeve like this vintage jacket, with a more traditional front and a raglan back to the sleeve?

EDIT: bad idea meaning it's not something they typically offer, so there's a greater chance of something getting lost in translation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko