Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
5 Star
1651667849242.png

5 star:

(customer forgot to mention that he spec'd the diameter of the wheels in inches instead of cm)
61FA943E-299B-46A9-9320-34FF3756DA9F.jpeg

So now the question becomes do I trim the sleeves? The arrow’d sleeve has clips set to minimize the stove pipes. I just can’t decide if I want to even bother.
7A151619-9B4F-4B9D-B506-3BB788AB8954.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
My 5 oz 5 Star arrived. A mixed bag. It’s not 5 oz HH, but I’d say it’s a solid 4oz and uniformly thick throughout. No thinner spots at all. That is great.

A couple things were missed/overlooked. I asked for no interior pockets and got one anyway. There is no label indicating what it’s made from. The chest pocket was set too high (I have asked on the previous two that the chest pocket be set 1” lower than standard) and this was pictured in my spec sheet as well. The sleeve cuff buttons are fairly horribly done. If they last 6 months it’ll be a miracle. That’s all on 5 Star.

For my part, I blew the sleeve spec fairly wildly. I had fears of repeating the CHL debacle. Went WAY too wide at the elbow. Not terrible and certainly fixable.

I do love the plain back. I think it looks great and the upgraded buckles are nice. Overall it just feels meh. Love the hide but the rest is rather perfunctory.
I’m also still getting those strange diagonal creases in the sleeves. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why.
View attachment 422894 View attachment 422895 View attachment 422896 View attachment 422897 View attachment 422898
It looks good!

The ball chain treatment took it up a few levels. (I'm copying this treatment for my budget jackets. haha) I don't think the pocket is in the wrong place either. At least when compared to the $1,800 jackets out there, like the Y2 Eco Horse single rider. The Y2 Eco Horse jackets or the 2mm FineCreeks are what started this 5star 2mm copy I believe.

y2 single rider.jpg

It looks good!

The ball chain treatment took it up a few levels. (I'm copying this treatment for my budget jackets. haha) I don't think the pocket is in the wrong place either. At least when compared to the $1,800 jackets out there, like the Y2 Eco Horse single rider. The Y2 Eco Horse jackets or the 2mm FineCreeks are what started this 5star 2mm copy I believe.

View attachment 423080
I think it’s too high. I called this out before as 5 Star tends to land this pocket too close to the shoulder.
41B8E5E7-9A26-4156-A9B1-DC66B3C775A3.jpeg

To my eye the position below is far better
29E479D6-FEAE-416E-A07D-67E5F5763960.jpeg

I’d probably overlook the handful of other issues if the sleeves weren’t also so stupid looking. That is my fault though.

ojaw

A-List Customer
So now the question becomes do I trim the sleeves? The arrow’d sleeve has clips set to minimize the stove pipes. I just can’t decide if I want to even bother.
View attachment 423055
Would it make any difference to wait a bit and let the sleeves settle in before deciding whether or not to taper?
This could be the jacket you wear over your Cowichan sweater : €

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Nah... Customer is always right!

Shawn still needs to figure how to market his pattern lines that's all. Aero has Premier/30s/50s blocks. Shawn has a mashed up pattern stew now. He just needs to figure that part out.

I do think Shawn is running a single machinist per jacket operation though, much like Aero. He just doesn't have a "Denny" looking over the machinists because he is geared for more volume production. Or Shawn is doing the jobs of three persons, Ken, Holy and Denny. And I think that's showing more now as his business grows.

Would it make any difference to wait a bit and let the sleeves settle in before deciding whether or not to taper?
This could be the jacket you wear over your Cowichan sweater : €
No...I always know right away. It fits right or it doesn't. Never any debate. In this case it's actually a reverse taper, toward the shoulder, not the wrist.

Nah... Customer is always right!

Shawn still needs to figure how to market his pattern lines that's all. Aero has Premier/30s/50s blocks. Shawn has a mashed up pattern stew now. He just needs to figure that part out.

I do think Shawn is running a single machinist per jacket operation though, much like Aero. He just doesn't have a "Denny" looking over the machinists because he is geared for more volume production. Or Shawn is doing the jobs of three persons, Ken, Holy and Denny. And I think that's showing more now as his business grows.
I don't know if this is true. When I asked about my jacket I was told it was "in the assembly line" which I took literally and would make sense given the volume.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I think it’s too high. I called this out before as 5 Star tends to land this pocket too close to the shoulder.
View attachment 423087
To my eye the position below is far better
View attachment 423088
I’d probably overlook the handful of other issues if the sleeves weren’t also so stupid looking. That is my fault though.
Yes, the pocket is quite high. It's almost shoulder pocket. And to my taste, the collar is pretty wide. Kinda '70s shirt. But that is personal preference

In the picture I think the jacket is not so bad. The sleeves improve perhaps with time?
But that with the high chest pockets must be some tick of 5*. Is the same with my black and with my Shearling. Although I had explicitly ordered something deeper.
View attachment 423166
View attachment 423170 View attachment 423171
It is. I got Shawn do it right twice but he missed on the third. The sleeves are entirely my fault. I have the jacket listed on eBay. If it doesn’t sell I will send to Dena and have her trim them. Looks far better with the sleeves trimmed.
Sleeves Clipped to where they should be here:
2FF02CFD-8C33-47F0-B401-DC4E24A3F57F.jpeg

As it stands:
500A14CA-5608-4EBD-82F4-7A8682998BFB.jpeg

This leather is super soft. I should’ve stuck with my spec on the sleeves. The other stuff would still bother me though. The cuff buttons are just so half assed. That and the blown pocket spec. Just leave an incredibly bad taste in my mouth.
image.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hmm… I hope Shawn can see how upset you are with this jacket and offers you a remake. You’re literally the reason I went for another 5Star after the CHL long break.
Mistakes happens, its about making them right that matters. I hope there’s a happy ending to this story.

KBlake

One Too Many
Hmm… I hope Shawn can see how upset you are with this jacket and offers you a remake. You’re literally the reason I went for another 5Star after the CHL long break.
Mistakes happens, its about making them right that matters. I hope there’s a happy ending to this story.
Sadly it's hard to imagine Shawn providing any post delivery communication let alone a remake.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I really don't see the problem of your sleeve, but I always see the chest pockets are always too high and too wide all the way to the armpit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk