Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Here’s an original:
B0F19104-2E6E-4B81-A3AE-8B645D782DB8.jpeg
CBF0580E-B229-4BE3-AAC8-B7AF70A1FA5B.jpeg

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I remember a while ago it was pretty much agreed that their premium black goat was the leather to go for. Has that changed? What is the recommendation of the FL these days? Let's say one black and one brown leather.
Would like something firmer and thicker.
Thinking about ordering a cross-button aviator with no chest pocket, hard warmer pockets and a half belt back like @hughesovka posted.
Basically this model https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/1940s-half-belt-jacket-gunrunner-real-goatskin with this pocket configuration https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/fivestar-leather-repro-type-n1-deck-flight-jacket and the back from this model:
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-09 at 6.43.14 PM.jpeg

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
I remember a while ago it was pretty much agreed that their premium black goat was the leather to go for. Has that changed? What is the recommendation of the FL these days? Let's say one black and one brown leather.
Would like something firmer and thicker.
Thinking about ordering a cross-button aviator with no chest pocket, hard warmer pockets and a half belt back like @hughesovka posted.
Basically this model https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/1940s-half-belt-jacket-gunrunner-real-goatskin with this pocket configuration https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/fivestar-leather-repro-type-n1-deck-flight-jacket and the back from this model:
View attachment 480031
That's a sharp jacket and i know for certain someone here designed it. I've always liked that design

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Maybe someone could send me a few example PDFs of how you sent your specifications to Shawn?
Does it make any sense to include any body dimensions or those will just be ignored?

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Got my QC pics of the whiskey horsehide aviator this morning

Thank you! It's one of their stock models but it's obviously a copy of a Thedi hektor, maybe someone else here has some insight about that. I'm very interested in seeing that whiskey horsehide in person.

Here's the link https://www.fivestarleather.us/prod...alf-belt-leather-jacket-brown-pull-up-leather
I may have been the first person to get 5* to model this jacket. Definitely Thedi inspired! The first draft was in the (terrible) CHL leather they offered which I ordered, despite being warned that it was not suitable for jackets. After some discussion with Shawn, he remade the jacket in the "pullup HH" and I believe it's one of the first batches of that leather that they used. That came out better for sure.
I didn't send him a Thedi but I sent 5* loads of pictures that I found online of various jackets; detailed measurements of each element of the product. They did send me a nice jacket that I still have. I don't know that I will keep it long term as I find myself wearing wool peacoat and button up coats the most this winter. I may end up selling my version of this jacket and my 5* cafe racer style jacket as they aren't getting the wear they deserve. Nice jackets for sure but I guess I'm in a wool phase these days LOL.

You can search this thread and the WJAYWT thread for my posts and you'll see pics of what I'm talking about. I do hope you are getting a great jacket that you will love. Cheers!

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
I may have been the first person to get 5* to model this jacket. Definitely Thedi inspired! The first draft was in the (terrible) CHL leather they offered which I ordered, despite being warned that it was not suitable for jackets. After some discussion with Shawn, he remade the jacket in the "pullup HH" and I believe it's one of the first batches of that leather that they used. That came out better for sure.
I didn't send him a Thedi but I sent 5* loads of pictures that I found online of various jackets; detailed measurements of each element of the product. They did send me a nice jacket that I still have. I don't know that I will keep it long term as I find myself wearing wool peacoat and button up coats the most this winter. I may end up selling my version of this jacket and my 5* cafe racer style jacket as they aren't getting the wear they deserve. Nice jackets for sure but I guess I'm in a wool phase these days LOL.

You can search this thread and the WJAYWT thread for my posts and you'll see pics of what I'm talking about. I do hope you are getting a great jacket that you will love. Cheers!
Thank you, i had a sneaking suspicion that jacket design came from here. Shawn actually sent me the pics of yours in that CHL when i was talking to him. Speaking of wool, how's the wool lining in it? I opted for pool table green

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Thank you, i had a sneaking suspicion that jacket design came from here. Shawn actually sent me the pics of yours in that CHL when i was talking to him. Speaking of wool, how's the wool lining in it? I opted for pool table green
Hi. The wool lining is good and warm. It is a bit scratchy, not as smooth as my pea coat wool. Does the job though and has held up fine so far.

KBlake

One Too Many
Yeah i realized it was a thedi copy after I ordered it. The details on the back look so well done that someone must have sent Shawn one. The whiskey finish does look really good in the photos, I know some of their hides are kinda matte but that looks like it has a lot of character

huh apparently bill kelso makes a version of this jacket also, and Kurt Russell was wearing a version in Escape from New York! Really falling down a rabbit hole here. I guess this is one of those public domain designs with that little pocket on the chest and the vertical zipper that a lot of stores were making versions of back in the day. Either way it looks like Shawn did a really nice job, gotta wait a week before I can try it on.
That whiskey color is gorgeous. It’s not on their materials and customization page. It looks like horween natural chromexcel.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
That whiskey color is gorgeous. It’s not on their materials and customization page. It looks like horween natural chromexcel.
Yeah i agree, it looks like a lightly stained natural hide. I only knew to ask for it because someone here had a jacket made from it. Shawn desperately needs to update that materials page. I still don't know what "conic shoe upper" goat is, for the love of god

Cw_Wel

New in Town
First post hope this in the correct place.

I am thinking of getting a half belt 30s style jacket from Five Star in upgraded goat skin. Of their stock patterns, it is most similar to an Aero Highwayman.

For leather color, I have a ton of boots in brown CXL. Would that be close to the Crystal brown?

Also the large size seems to be close to what I should order except in the shoulders. My best fitting jacket is a thin lambskin that has an 18.5” shoulder vs the 19.0” listed on the Fivestar website. Given the thicker and most likely stiffer jacket, I think wider shoulders should help with mobility and would allow for a layer underneath. Am I wrong? Is 0.5”a fairly large step up? Anything else I should consider before placing an order?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't found that the shoulder measurement changes significantly between a lambskin jacket and a heftier one.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
The bootleg horsehide Thedi has been delivered! Unfortunately, I'm in the city at work so i have two fingers crossed that the DHL man put it in the package chute and not just outside my building in the middle of Brooklyn

Update: the package was safe and sound, and Shawn knocked it out of the park. More to follow but here's some quick closeups of the whiskey horsehide. It's great, uniformly thick (i made sure to specify), and a lot less "waxy" than the CXL horsehide from Aero

Attachments

• 20230116_154726.jpg
    20230116_154726.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 161
  • 20230116_154733.jpg
    20230116_154733.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone, I am a fairly new member here. I just ordered a custom jacket from Shawn, a mix of LW Suburban and Aero Sheene. I wanted to say thank you to all the members that shared their experience while ordering from Five Star and posting their spec sheets. Big Thank You in particular goes to Ton312, MrProper and Canuck Panda.

The jacket was produced in 2 days and is made from their 2mm CHL brown steer. It's amazing, at least from the pictures, that Five Star team was able to hit all the measurements to the tee. I'll confrim once the jacket is received. The only missed spec was olive contrast stitching. But brown doesn't look too bad. Here are few pictures from Shawn and the spec sheet. If interested, I can post the fit pics when it arrives.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.06 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.06 PM.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 178
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.07 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.07 PM (1).jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 155
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.08 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.08 PM (1).jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 142
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.08 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-21 at 6.44.08 PM.jpeg