Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Sashidc

New in Town
Hello All,

Can anyone please share specification pdf provided to 5* for their A-1 style jacket?

I am thinking about premium goat waxed black leather with russet brown knitting and tan cotton lining. I'm open to suggestions on the thread color to be used for this combination.

TankPopper

New in Town
Hey everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, but first time poster.

After close to 20 years, my beloved Timberland nubuck jacket no longer fits me. It's time for a new one.

This will be my first custom jacket, and I think 5 star is a good place to start.

There are two things I'm having a hard time decide:

Leather type - I want this jacket to last a life time, or as close as possible. I also need it to be sturdy, and withstand extensive use. Should I go with steerhide, horsehide or actually goat? What's your take?

Color - I know this goes hand in hand with the leather type I choose, but I want my jacket to be matte black. I really dislike shiny leathers, and would actually go for nubuck if it wasn't so complicated to maintain. So, which one of 5 star's leathers are matte black?

Thank you very much for your time and help,
Tank out.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Hey everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, but first time poster.

After close to 20 years, my beloved Timberland nubuck jacket no longer fits me. It's time for a new one.

This will be my first custom jacket, and I think 5 star is a good place to start.

There are two things I'm having a hard time decide:

Leather type - I want this jacket to last a life time, or as close as possible. I also need it to be sturdy, and withstand extensive use. Should I go with steerhide, horsehide or actually goat? What's your take?

Color - I know this goes hand in hand with the leather type I choose, but I want my jacket to be matte black. I really dislike shiny leathers, and would actually go for nubuck if it wasn't so complicated to maintain. So, which one of 5 star's leathers are matte black?

Thank you very much for your time and help,
Tank out.
I think your best shot would be to try suede, most of their leathers are with the exception of capeskin and horsehide are pretty matte compared to most leather companies. Even their HH is pretty matte compared to other HH I own.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Thank you for the in depth reply, explanation and comparison pictures. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply to me. I’ve been considering pulling the trigger on a goat skin G-1 or An-j-3 for a while since I have an A-2 in horsehide, but I’m in still in an A-2 phase right now.

I did want to share I ordered a new Black Horsehide A-2 with their “100% Silk Lining”. I wasn’t expecting real silk, and I doubt it’s real silk (Melts into a ball during burn test.), but I thought I would try it out. This time I also went with brandy accents and they’re great pieces of leather. They did scuff me with the black horsehide this time. Some areas came with too much paint in the front area and other areas with visible damage it came with tape for “leveling” behind it. Some stitching errors one observed next to the hook on zipper flap side. The jacket looks really nice though and I’ve gotten a lot of compliments, but I do have to admit I feel let down on the quality on this one.

Attachments

• C27CA7E6-8C62-438A-8945-236C09A5E205.jpeg
    C27CA7E6-8C62-438A-8945-236C09A5E205.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 288
  • 450FCE11-189D-4E5D-9E5C-A851E801644D.jpeg
    450FCE11-189D-4E5D-9E5C-A851E801644D.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 229
  • 6B773855-B8DA-4C1B-A6F2-019E792469A7.jpeg
    6B773855-B8DA-4C1B-A6F2-019E792469A7.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 251
  • D8FB2FC2-3A1B-4F00-8B55-E8212DFBF1B6.jpeg
    D8FB2FC2-3A1B-4F00-8B55-E8212DFBF1B6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 246
  • 33A7AF1F-8BC4-468F-A47B-2BE91854B581.jpeg
    33A7AF1F-8BC4-468F-A47B-2BE91854B581.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 289

sshack

A-List Customer
On the 4th pic, it looks like there's a spot where the top grain was scuffed down to the suede. Or perhaps the hide was scarred. Either way, it's compounded with a poor paint job to cover it up. No excuse, even if this is a $300ish leather jacket. In Pakistan, the price of this jacket should be about 3 months wages for the worker. You would think they would exercise more caution. I'd say return it, but then 5star may drag their feet about customizations and return shipping...

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thank you for the in depth reply, explanation and comparison pictures. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply to me. I’ve been considering pulling the trigger on a goat skin G-1 or An-j-3 for a while since I have an A-2 in horsehide, but I’m in still in an A-2 phase right now.

I did want to share I ordered a new Black Horsehide A-2 with their “100% Silk Lining”. I wasn’t expecting real silk, and I doubt it’s real silk (Melts into a ball during burn test.), but I thought I would try it out. This time I also went with brandy accents and they’re great pieces of leather. They did scuff me with the black horsehide this time. Some areas came with too much paint in the front area and other areas with visible damage it came with tape for “leveling” behind it. Some stitching errors one observed next to the hook on zipper flap side. The jacket looks really nice though and I’ve gotten a lot of compliments, but I do have to admit I feel let down on the quality on this one.
yeah, I see what you mean. As I said in my post, I find their premier goat a much better hide than their horsehide (based on a total of 3 jackets I own from them). If you want a sort of beater jacket, with variation in thickness, grain and, why not, hide quality then get your A2 in their horsehide. Otherwise the premium goat will be a better jacket.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
On the 4th pic, it looks like there's a spot where the top grain was scuffed down to the grain. Or perhaps the hide was scarred. Either way, it's compounded with a poor paint job to cover it up. No excuse, even if this is a $300ish leather jacket. In Pakistan, the price of this jacket should be about 3 months wages for the worker. You would think they would exercise more caution. I'd say return it, but then 5star may drag their feet about customizations and return shipping...
It would be much better if the maker communicated any issues beforehand (and maybe offer a small reduction in price). I've seen 2 or 3 cases at the VLJ that should have been dealt with before the jacket left the factory.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
so
On the 4th pic, it looks like there's a spot where the top grain was scuffed down to the grain. Or perhaps the hide was scarred. Either way, it's compounded with a poor paint job to cover it up. No excuse, even if this is a $300ish leather jacket. In Pakistan, the price of this jacket should be about 3 months wages for the worker. You would think they would exercise more caution. I'd say return it, but then 5star may drag their feet about customizations and return shipping...
Yeah, I doubt they would take the return. I mentioned it to Shawn, but he just brushed it off, but reassured if those areas were to fail at any point in the jackets lifespan he would replace the jacket. I much rather would of had a solid good quality jacket to begin with. I mean these are things that you obviously can’t tell in the pictures and me being a returning customer that leaves tip and has gotten compromised leather from them before, I don’t feel very respected as a customer. And I’ve been contemplating in not buying from them anymore. Here is a pretty hefty tear on a jacket they sent me previously. It’s a real shame because I’ve seen them make really great jackets and I want to root for them. Even the jackets with quality issues look great, but they just keep letting me down. I don’t know if I can keep buying from them.

Attachments

• 5DBC0397-1284-4BE9-A053-9424D282559B.jpeg
    5DBC0397-1284-4BE9-A053-9424D282559B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 205

MoFo

Familiar Face
yeah, I see what you mean. As I said in my post, I find their premier goat a much better hide than their horsehide (based on a total of 3 jackets I own from them). If you want a sort of beater jacket, with variation in thickness, grain and, why not, hide quality then get your A2 in their horsehide. Otherwise the premium goat will be a better jacket.
Yes - premium goat is great and I love it, BUT the HH Brandy is a dream!
20221117_063403.jpg

Cw_Wel

New in Town
Has anyone tried the crystal goat and have photos of a finished jacket? I am really leaning that way for a trucker. Also the medium trucker has the exact specs of my favorite lambskin jacket. Any other tweaks anyone recommends from a sizing perspective?

58panheadfan

One Too Many

Some more Details (short review) of 5Star D-Pocket Road Master
I have to say I am very pleased how it turned out:

I lowered the back kidney panel slighly, give the Jacket a longer less
boxy optic on Back:
FL_5Star_Back Panel.JPG

I like the way how Epaulettes are sewed on (A-2 like) and the taper cut
(I don't like it when the epaulettes bend up when worn):
FL_5Star_Epaulettes.jpg

Real Mouton Fur reddish russet brown detachable Collar with
Road Master Label (also the Front Lapels are set in nicely,