Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
I think not.
Unless you have explicitly given measurements and they differ too much. That's the problem with 5*. Everything that is not specified exactly is left to chance.
Welp. It hasn’t shipped yet. Can they fix it?

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Yeah I gave them these images as a reference. Will they remake it for me?
Why should they do? Your Jacket looks great in its own way! Otherwise you will get „only“ a copy of a FW Sunset… if you really want a FW Sunset get for one even the price difference to a 5Star Leather Jacket or you will be always disappointed.

KBlake

One Too Many
Why should they do? Your Jacket looks great in its own way! Otherwise you will get „only“ a copy of a FW Sunset… if you really want a FW Sunset get for one even the price difference to a 5Star Leather Jacket or you will be always disappointed.
I was really looking for the proportions of the sunset front without the sunset back, which I’m not a fan of. This isn’t that so it’s disappointing.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Welp. It hasn’t shipped yet. Can they fix it? I won’t be ordering from them again if they don’t make it right.
As mentioned before, if you didn’t fixed every single measurement to mm I wouldn’t see why they should do a remake. 5Star has their own interpretation and you give them (only) the idea if you didn’t fixed everything. This thread is full of informations how to do the order with 5Star Leather right, btw.

KBlake

One Too Many
@KBlake I am sure, the 5Star will grow on you, it looks really nice! Not the same as your template (FW Sunset) but is unique and looks nice, especially for the price you paid…
As mentioned before, if you didn’t fixed every single measurement to mm I wouldn’t see why they should do a remake. 5Star has their own interpretation and you give them (only) the idea if you didn’t fixed everything. This thread is full of informations how to do the order with 5Star Leather right, btw.

I guess my expectations were unreasonable. Thanks.

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
I guess my expectations were unreasonable. Thanks.
I get it, at least I think I do. My first 5-star jacket had less-than-stellar stitching. It was longer by a full inch than the specified length, and the sateen sleeve lining ripped during the first week of wear. I didn't say anything because I thought it was a bargain price, and I should adjust my expectations.

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

My second 5-star jacket came with a broken zipper insertion pin. When I politely asked about it, their reply made it sound like my choice of heavy leather caused the damage to the #10 YKK zipper. However, they gave me a 10% discount on the third jacket, sent me a new zipper, and a full spool of 6-ply thread. So, I guess there were no problems there.

IMG_9635_pin.jpeg

The third jacket had a fairly significant thickness variance (ranging from 1.6mm to 1.1mm) and an oversized liner stitched in. This time, I sent a less polite email, stating that despite my admiration for their craftsmanship and the fair price, I would appreciate it if issues, such as an oversized liner, were flagged and corrected before the jacket leaves their shop. However, this time, 5-star decided not to reply at all.

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9807.jpeg

I believe that 5* is not interested in cultivating long-term relationships with customers, but rather in acquiring new clients, charging upfront and delivering the best they can. However, when clients have high expectations and become confrontational, it's easier for 5* to ignore them rather than invest time and resources to make things right.

I don't regret my orders with 5* as there is no other place that can offer fully custom options at that price range. However, it's important to lower your expectations to the minimum, so that whatever you receive from 5* feels like a true gift. My experience with 5* has helped me realize that I care more about quality and details than I thought I did. And I would be willing to pay more to receive a cleanly produced, quality product.

KBlake

One Too Many
I don't regret my orders with 5* as there is no other place that can offer fully custom options at that price range. However, it's important to lower your expectations to the minimum, so that whatever you receive from 5* feels like a true gift.
This is what I need to internalize. I’m a high school teacher with three kids so I can’t really afford high end leather jackets. My expectations need to be set appropriately.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is what I need to internalize. I’m a high school teacher with three kids so I can’t really afford high end leather jackets. My expectations need to be set appropriately.
You can achieve good results with 5*. However, it requires a lot of knowledge about what you have to pay attention to and what details you absolutely have to point out. And even then it is not impossible that something goes wrong.
By the way, I have not paid in advance for any 5* jacket. I have always at least waited for the pictures.
These two 5* jackets I would call successful.

Attachments

• IMG_7369.jpeg
    IMG_7369.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7357.jpeg
    IMG_7357.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8343.jpeg
    IMG_8343.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 152

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yes I've seen a handful of great looking 5* jackets, as @MrProper shows above they are indeed capable of making premium quality good fitting jacket. But for each good one there are at least a dozen (if not more) duds.

Factoring in the price of all those duds, 5* isn't cheap at all. For the price of one custom 5* you could get a nice second hand Schott perfecto. For the price of two 5* duds one could get a second hand Eastman. Also, a second hand Schott or Eastman can be sold on for good money. I don't know about the resale value of 5* but a broken male pin or other quality issues will significantly hurt the value.

Also, what about the huge waste of resources. Most of these duds end up in the bin.

I understand that leather jackets are pricy and that not everyone can afford a Freewheelers. But there are much better options than 5* imo. Second hand or vintage as mentioned by @handymike or even Aliexpress. At least those come without pant leg sleeves. Moreover, if the jacket has quality issues you will be refunded by aliexpress.

IMG_9680.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It seems that in my case, paying only as an initial deposit was not an option. They required full payment before starting any work.
Apparently business with military repros is so good that they can be able to afford it. Civilian jackets probably make up the smallest share.
Well, I finished my learning journey with 5* and will only go back to it if I ever want something that is not available anywhere else.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
If you ever taste blood in premium leather jackets, you won’t go with leather jackets like 5Star or Aliexpress without some disappointing (especially in leather they are using although I have to say their black waxed steerhide can compete with some much more expensive leathers). If you ever handled veg tan leather used by Thedi or Shinki HH from RMC or FW or CXL from Aero etc. you will know what I mean about leather quality used by far east companies with cheap labour…

My only intention to go with 5Star was to find out, if I am able to „construct“ my own Jacket given by measurements etc. More some kind of challenge and try to create my own jacket not being involved in the making process by myself by reasonable prices and fast production.
Yes I've seen a handful of great looking 5* jackets, as @MrProper shows above they are indeed capable of making premium quality good fitting jacket. But for each good one there are at least a dozen (if not more) duds.

Factoring in the price of all those duds, 5* isn't cheap at all….

Also, what about the huge waste of resources. Most of these duds end up in the bin.
That’s one of reason I never went with FL. I didn’t see more than five Leather Jackets yet, which would have been passed my standards in terms of fit. Undoubtedly great materials and craftsmanship but for me too risky and way too long in production time… therefore I tried 5Star Leather with good results in the end.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko