Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Damn guys, seek life elsewhere. That SB Ton posted that sold for $277 should have been enough. I’ve owned many jackets, most of which I found for under $300. Like Billy Madison said, get out there and find your effin dog (jacket)!

Quality ain’t the greatest and the increasing costs/flip of the coin it won’t look weird should be the end of it. I don’t get it.
Well I think people who buy Five Star in the first place are looking for a “new” jacket, so I don’t think buying from the used market wouldn’t be the best answer for some. But I agree 2nd hand Aero’s are the best.

Well I think people who buy Five Star in the first place are looking for a “new” jacket, so I don’t think buying from the used market wouldn’t be the best answer for some. But I agree 2nd hand Aero’s are the best.

Most of my used jackets were pretty much new. Some folks here only buy used if the jackets are immaculate or close to it. But I hear you. People will do what they do.

They still should buy new elsewhere.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think on a very dry open pores leather this effect will not happen as the water beads will get absorbed immediately and the wet mark is spreading and not defined, but in an semi water proofed leather maybe waxed or rich in oil, the water beads is staying on top as a bead for awhile but the surface is not slippery enough unlike silicone treated surface where water will skid off immediately, so these beads eventually get absorbed in those spots, but the area surrounding it is also rich in wax or oil so they are somewhat trapped in their spots and so it swells upward.

Nacho

Practically Family
Sheesh! I'll stick to my vintage leathers and wools. The hunt is more exciting to me than this. This is too much work, especially all the potential emotional and financial trauma after the fact. Thanks for the drama though, guys. It has been quite entertaining.

KBlake

One Too Many
I think on a very dry open pores leather this effect will not happen as the water beads will get absorbed immediately and the wet mark is spreading and not defined, but in an semi water proofed leather maybe waxed or rich in oil, the water beads is staying on top as a bead for awhile but the surface is not slippery enough unlike silicone treated surface where water will skid off immediately, so these beads eventually get absorbed in those spots, but the area surrounding it is also rich in wax or oil so they are somewhat trapped in their spots and so it swells upward.
It’s an extremely oiled leather. I’ve put other 5* in the wash with no problems.

KBlake

One Too Many
How does it look after the acne healed?
I wore the jacket in the rain again yesterday so there’s still some left but it’s much better today.

Given everything I still think 5* is a viable option for people like me who require custom measurements, but the far superior option seems to be Simons Bilt because you can get custom measurements and superior quality for ~$800. I’m not sure how much Johnson Leathers charges for a custom jacket but I would think it would be around $1k, too. With Aero you are spending over $1k. SB is therefore the best custom sub $1k option.

I wore the jacket in the rain again yesterday so there’s still some left but it’s much better today.

Given everything I still think 5* is a viable option for people like me who require custom measurements, but the far superior option seems to be Simons Bilt because you can get custom measurements and superior quality for ~$800. I’m not sure how much Johnson Leathers charges for a custom jacket but I would think it would be around $1k, too. With Aero you are spending over $1k. SB is therefore the best custom sub $1k option.
Unless there is something I am missing, I'm not sure why you require custom measurements...You seem to have a very typical build? Standard 40'-42"? I think it's probably more about finding jackets that fit the measurements you prefer. But you do you, if you are satisfied with the product 5 Star is putting out, that is all that matters.

KBlake

One Too Many
Unless there is something I am missing, I'm not sure why you require custom measurements...You seem to have a very typical build? Standard 40'-42"? I think it's probably more about finding jackets that fit the measurements you prefer. But you do you, if you are satisfied with the product 5 Star is putting out, that is all that matters.
I have never found an off the rack jacket that fit me correctly. Here’s a picture of the schott jacket I bought from you about six months ago. I have a short torso, narrow waist and long arms. I won’t be happy with the fit of an off the rack jacket.
IMG_2146.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
That jacket actually fit you well other than the sleeves (I recall they were short on me as well 24"). There are plenty of jackets with 26" sleeves...you just need to put in a bit more effort to find them.
I have never found an off the rack jacket that fit me correctly. Here’s a picture of the schott jacket I bought from you about six months ago. I have a short torso, narrow waist and long arms. I won’t be happy with the fit of an off the rack jacket. View attachment 568138

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never found an off the rack jacket that fit me correctly. Here’s a picture of the schott jacket I bought from you about six months ago. I have a short torso, narrow waist and long arms. I won’t be happy with the fit of an off the rack jacket. View attachment 568138
You seem to have the same problem as me ;-)
Standard sizes are too wide and too short for me or much too wide and less too short :D

KBlake

One Too Many
That jacket actually fit you well other than the sleeves (I recall they were short on me as well 24"). There are plenty of jackets with 26" sleeves...you just need to put in a bit more effort to find them.
It’s always something. If the sleeves fit, the back is too long, or the body too wide. I can never seem to get all of the important measurements right.

KBlake

One Too Many

So the acne is on 2”x2” of the jacket on the cuff in a location where the wearer will notice it but no one else is likely to. I’m sure it will go away once it dries completely. If it does then I will go back to being very happy with the jacket. If it doesn’t go away then I will no longer be completely happy. The entire jacket got wet and the rest of it looks great. Here’s how it looks at present:
IMG_4373.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So the acne is on 2”x2” of the jacket on the cuff in a location where the wearer will notice it but no one else is likely to. I’m sure it will go away once it dries completely. If it does then I will go back to being very happy with the jacket. If it doesn’t go away then I will no longer be completely happy. The entire jacket got wet and the rest of it looks great. Here’s how it looks at present: View attachment 568309
Acetone. @ton312 can tell you how to do it.

Sorry ;)

So the acne is on 2”x2” of the jacket on the cuff in a location where the wearer will notice it but no one else is likely to. I’m sure it will go away once it dries completely. If it does then I will go back to being very happy with the jacket. If it doesn’t go away then I will no longer be completely happy. The entire jacket got wet and the rest of it looks great. Here’s how it looks at present: View attachment 568309
I’m not sure that will ever flatten out. I suspect it’s probably already dry and it’s dried that way. You could feasibly replace the button cuff if you want to throw bad money on top of bad money.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@KBlake Can you take your shoe/boot brush and give the pimpled cuff some TLC brushing. In theory the bumps should go away after brushing as the stuff that is trying to escape the leather core is being pushed back into the fibers. Heat from the brushing also helps. It doesn't hurt to try brushing. If it doesn't work then WW3.

I also think Shawn should give you something, but not so much for the particular blister jacket, which I would expect from a 350 dollars jacket. But for what you did with them in terms of new jacket designs. It took you the time of 30 pages of this thread to out do 300+ pages of this thread. It has just hit me that happened. Well done.

The 5Star I knew had jackets that looked like these, nothing fancy, very budget friendly prices.
old 5star.jpg

The 5Star jackets after KBlake now looks like this, like a totally different company.
new 5star.jpg

There is a HUGE leap forward in styles here. Same budget leather and material, but huge leap forward in styling.

To get these same six jackets made in the US/Japan using brand name material, would be at least north of $1,200 in current pricing. There are good deals on used jackets for sure, but if one wanted these jackets in premium material, one would have to pay more than one would like, even used. I would know.
IMG_2961.jpg

So yes, 5Star still budget material, but now way better looking jackets, at 350 a pop plus expensive shipping fees. My only wish is that KBlake you were here in this thread three years ago and did what you just did the last 30 pages, but earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff