Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
So the acne is on 2”x2” of the jacket on the cuff in a location where the wearer will notice it but no one else is likely to. I’m sure it will go away once it dries completely. If it does then I will go back to being very happy with the jacket. If it doesn’t go away then I will no longer be completely happy. The entire jacket got wet and the rest of it looks great. Here’s how it looks at present: View attachment 568309
I mean… what do they feel like? Fluid underneath? Hard? Does it feel like air/puffy? I think that would answer the question for sure. Because I mean worst case scenario it puffy as if air is trapped underneath the pigmented coat. I think that’s really what most of us are worried about.

@KBlake Can you take your shoe/boot brush and give the pimpled cuff some TLC brushing. In theory the bumps should go away after brushing as the stuff that is trying to escape the leather core is being pushed back into the fibers. Heat from the brushing also helps. It doesn't hurt to try brushing. If it doesn't work then WW3.

I also think Shawn should give you something, but not so much for the particular blister jacket, which I would expect from a 350 dollars jacket. But for what you did with them in terms of new jacket designs. It took you the time of 30 pages of this thread to out do 300+ pages of this thread. It has just hit me that happened. Well done.

The 5Star I knew had jackets that looked like these, nothing fancy, very budget friendly prices.
View attachment 568311

The 5Star jackets after KBlake now looks like this, like a totally different company.
View attachment 568315

There is a HUGE leap forward in styles here. Same budget leather and material, but huge leap forward in styling.

To get these same six jackets made in the US/Japan using brand name material, would be at least north of $1,200 in current pricing. There are good deals on used jackets for sure, but if one wanted these jackets in premium material, one would have to pay more than one would like, even used. I would know.
View attachment 568324

So yes, 5Star still budget material, but now way better looking jackets, at 350 a pop plus expensive shipping fees. My only wish is that KBlake you were here in this thread three years ago and did what you just did the last 30 pages, but earlier.
Unfortunately the patterns and basic construction techniques remain unchanged….300 plus pages later. The designs are different. But the core technique of how they are executed is exactly the same and that’s where the problem lies (in my view).

Unfortunately the patterns and basic construction techniques remain unchanged….300 plus pages later. The designs are different. But the core technique of how they are executed is exactly the same and that’s where the problem lies (in my view).
And folks keep talking budget but own, sing it with me now…2, 3, 4, 5, 5*! Haha.

I’m all for folks buying what makes them happy. Just messing around.

KBlake

One Too Many
And folks keep talking budget but own, sing it with me now…2, 3, 4, 5, 5*! Haha.

I’m all for folks buying what makes them happy. Just messing around.
I like having more than one jacket and am very happy with mine.

KBlake

One Too Many
So I rolled the leather between my thumb and index finger and the acne disappeared instantly. I don’t know much about leather and why it behaves the way it does, but if this ever happens to someone else you want to pinch and roll the leather out and it will disappear.
IMG_4382.jpeg

ZeroDelta

New in Town
From a perspective of a biger guy who has not been in this hobby long it is hard to find what I want used in my size in brands like aero and vanson. I wear a 46 or 48 depending on the jacket and used ones do pop up but not nearly as frequently as smaller sizes. I have 2 vansons a schott and 2 5star jackets. I will admit that the quality of my vanson and even my Schott feel superior in every way but I like the 2 jackets I got from 5star and would be hard pressed to find something from a different brand with out spending 2-3 times more. The 2 5star jackets I have are the windbreaker in whisky HH and a trucker in brandy HH. I definitely think Vanson has better everything but finding one in my size that is the styles I like in the right size in good condition at a 400 or less price point is hard. For someone getting in to the hobby that dosen't want a black cross zip or a cafe racer I think 5star is a good entry point.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There’s a lot of haters and jacket snobs on here who want to shit on 5* because they spend 3x the price for their jackets. That’s fine. But I am enjoying these just as much and think they look pretty damn good. View attachment 568578 View attachment 568584 View attachment 568585
I had 13 or 14 jackets from 5* and was certainly a supporter of the company. So I wouldn't describe myself as a hater.
But unfortunately, the 5* jackets do not perform well in comparison. Not because of the workmanship, but because of the pattern and the leather. Flaws are smeared with top coat, which then become visible when the top coat comes off. The thickness of the leather is inconsistent. Everything is designed to minimize costs.
If you know Vicenza, Horween, Badalassi, Comipel and what they are all called, then you don't want to wear a 5* anymore. 14 5* jackets at the current prices are the equivalent of 4 or 5 Aero jackets. And honestly? I'd rather have 4 or 5 Aeros. I enjoy them every day and not just for two weeks.

There’s a lot of haters and jacket snobs on here who want to shit on 5* because they spend 3x the price for their jackets. That’s fine. But I am enjoying these just as much and think they look pretty damn good. View attachment 568578 View attachment 568584 View attachment 568585
I don’t think it has anything to do with hating or snobbery. Maybe you don’t know or can’t remember but Panda, Mr. Proper and I essentially brought this brand to the forum and were the ones who initially pushed them to expand their catalog.

While I may not have purchased (30) jackets from them as you have, I certainly gave them more than a fair chance to show what they could do. In the 3 years since the construction techniques have not significantly improved. The leather options are dull and inconsistent. I mean your own jacket bubbled up at the cuff from getting wet! That’s not quality dude. It’s just not.

I spent $23 on this jacket….and it’s better than every 5 Star I’ve had. It’s not about the money, it’s about the product.
IMG_5641.jpeg

$100

IMG_7136.jpeg

it seems you’ve convinced yourself of something that isn’t there, or you are trying to.

ZeroDelta

New in Town
I don't think they are snobs they are just more aware of details. I do Brazilian Ju Jitsu and am a brown belt. What I thought was a good technique at white belt is way different than what I think is a good technique now. The details of body leverage and the difference of having your grip 1 inch lower or higher can be a huge difference. I just think guys like Ton and Mr propper are black belts and I'm a white belt. Their fits speak for themselves. I would be thrilled if any jacket I had looked half as good on me as there "mediocre" ones look. I just think its all perspective. I still like my 5stars and feel like they are a good value for me. Will I like my 5stars 8 years from now if I stick with this hobby? Who knows. I think they have a lot more knowledge when it comes to jackets than I do. What is not worth it to them can still be valuable to a noob like me. Just like the submission that I used at white belt are not my favorites now. When I coach white or blue belts and they have a flawed technique that works for them I let them do it. It is appropriate for where they are at in there journey but I'm not going to start using it or change my perspective on if its good or not just because they can tap blue belts with it. I have gotten almost all my meager knowledge of how to get a good fitting jacket from Ton and Mr. Proppers post on this forum. My first expensive thurston vanson was inspired by Tons. I don't take their opinions lightly.

konadog

Practically Family
I own jackets from Lewis and Aero and I am very happy with the 5* trucker I just got. The leather is breaking in nicely and it came with handwarmer pockets, an interior pocket, and the satin lining I wanted. I would be hard-pressed to find anything with all that at the $410 (incl shipping) I paid. That being said, I won't be looking for used 5* jackets to buy, the way I do the more sophisticated brands.

KBlake

One Too Many
I don't think they are snobs they are just more aware of details. I do Brazilian Ju Jitsu and am a brown belt. What I thought was a good technique at white belt is way different than what I think is a good technique now. The details of body leverage and the difference of having your grip 1 inch lower or higher can be a huge difference. I just think guys like Ton and Mr propper are black belts and I'm a white belt. Their fits speak for themselves. I would be thrilled if any jacket I had looked half as good on me as there "mediocre" ones look. I just think it’s all perspective. I still like my 5stars and feel like they are a good value for me. Will I like my 5stars 8 years from now if I stick with this hobby? Who knows. I think they have a lot more knowledge when it comes to jackets than I do. What is not worth it to them can still be valuable to a noob like me. Just like the submission that I used at white belt are not my favorites now. When I coach white or blue belts and they have a flawed technique that works for them I let them do it. It is appropriate for where they are at in there journey but I'm not going to start using it or change my perspective on if its good or not just because they can tap blue belts with it. I have gotten almost all my meager knowledge of how to get a good fitting jacket from Ton and Mr. Proppers post on this forum. My first expensive thurston vanson was inspired by Tons. I don't take their opinions lightly.
I’m grateful to them as well, but I’m not going to prostrate myself before them. We are talking about jackets here. This deference is a bit silly and unbecoming.
I mean your own jacket bubbled up at the cuff from getting wet! That’s not quality dude. It’s just not.

The cuff looks perfectly fine now after 30 seconds of rolling the leather. I don’t pretend to know as much as you and the others here, and you are all free to disregard my opinion, but I think the value of that jacket is amazing for $400. You’ve also changed your mind dramatically on 5* within the span of months.

As I said, I’ve had schotts and vansons and the jackets I posted above are at least as good. I’ve never found a jacket from either brand that fit perfectly so I prefer 5*.

We can agree to disagree and since you all are the experts my humble opinion shouldn’t bother you. That being said, there’s definitely some confirmation bias against 5* here.

I’m grateful to them as well, but I’m not going to prostrate myself before them. We are talking about jackets here. This deference is a bit silly and unbecoming.

The cuff looks perfectly fine now after 30 seconds of rolling the leather. I don’t pretend to know as much as you and the others here, and you are all free to disregard my opinion, but I think the value of that jacket is amazing for $400. You’ve also changed your mind dramatically on 5* within the span of months.

As I said, I’ve had schotts and vansons and the jackets I posted above are at least as good. I’ve never found a jacket from either brand that fit perfectly so I prefer 5*.

We can agree to disagree and since you all are the experts my humble opinion shouldn’t bother you. That being said, there’s definitely some confirmation bias against 5* here.
I didn’t change my opinion. I just accepted the truth. If you are happy with them, great!

cbez

One Too Many
I get the sentiment I just feel like, would you go to a Kia dealer parking lot and tell all the customers that a Mercedes is better? They already know lol.

ZeroDelta

New in Town
Hardly prostating my self bud. I just find calling people names who have more experience and go out of there way to give free advice so people can look cool unbecoming personally.

KBlake

One Too Many
Better shots. I think Shawn and company have improved for sure. This jacket is flawlessly built. All my other jackets had some small defect, always quite small and trivial but nevertheless, always there. This one does not. It’s impeccably well built. 5 Stars there

Hide gets 10 stars. Feels twice as thick as my other goats. Really stiff, shockingly thick, should age beautifully.

Design is good too. Back yoke should be more pronounced IMO and the original commissioner of this jacket told me that and I overlooked it. The curved back seams would’ve helped make the back more interesting too, I should’ve listened to HM and RD. All in all, for these somewhat costume-y 70’s pieces, I’m absolutely thrilled with it. With some notes off this build I will remake the smoke.
View attachment 523194 View attachment 523195 View attachment 523196 View attachment 523197 View attachment 523198

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo