Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flask Question

Viper Man

Banned
I received as a gift a nice looking, 18 ounce stainless steel flask. It's huge!
How long can I store booze in it before it tastes bad (metallic)? The directions that came with it state booze is good for 3 days but that seems ridiculous to me. Can anyone shed some insight or experience? Thanks!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, I don't know because my flask is small and when I fill it (which is rare anymore), it's usually consumed within three days, but it does occur to me that maybe this is why my grandmother has always traveled with a glass flask.

-Dave

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not fill'er up and give it a taste after 3 or 4 days and see if there's any difference? Things like that are probably going to be different, flask to flask, since they're made of various metal that may affect taste at different rates.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I once unintentionally left a flask (stainless steel) full of Makers Mark unattended for several months with no discernable deleterious effect.

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks for your replies, folks. I went a head and filled it up with some Gentleman's Jack to test it. I didn't fill the whole thing just in case there are any issues.

Not all stainless steels are the same, so they could be a problem of some beverages picking up a metallic flavor. Also the air gap on the top of a flask not totally filled may introduce oxidation for some beverages.

Probably best to fill it totally but use it only for specific occasions.

Make me a Sargent in charge of the booze!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Hey I have a question...

Why are we worried about issues with the alcohol, metallic taste, etc? [huh]

I mean, we carry spirits in flasks for medicinal purposes don't we???[huh] :eek:

;)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I think what you put in it might make a difference too., if you're talking about extended periods, once opened I tend to find brandy keeps longer than whisky in flasks.
In the winter I'm quite a fan of Calvados in my flask. Otherwise I have this Italian drink called Tuaca which goes nicely with the pewter.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
At the tobacco shop I work at, we sell several types of flasks and honestly I recommend to folks to not store it in a flask for more than a couple of days. Primary concern would be the oxidation of the metal inside. As mentioned above, not all stainless steel is the same. Best to keep it's use to short term "medicinal" purposes ;)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina makes a good point, which makes me wonder if any flasks are made glass lined?

Tequila seems to do okay for weeks when forgotten in a flask, but perhaps it's my lack of discerning taste buds.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Glass is non-reactive sure, but also very fragile!
Didn't anyone else ever have an old school glass lined thermos as a kid and drop it?? Mom's chicken soup with Glass fragments is still not one of my favorite lunches...:(

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Glass is non-reactive sure, but also very fragile!
Didn't anyone else ever have an old school glass lined thermos as a kid and drop it?? Mom's chicken soup with Glass fragments is still not one of my favorite lunches...:(

I don' think I ever saw a smashed one but I can imagine.
Has anyone ever seen a glass hip flask? My grandfather has one that is covered inn stiff leather and has a metal cover at the bottom. I believe it was originally for keeping in the car so that if you broke down and it was cold you could have a nip of brandy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore