Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flecked Shirts

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Hey,
I've seen some original 1920s examples of shirts like this one that we just got in a Rugby for our spring transition line. It is a broadcloth or a an end-on-end with stripes and flecks that sort of feel like braille. Anybody have any or know anything about this style?
pPOLO2-5452496_standard_v330.jpg

You need to go to the web-site to zoom in and take a close look at the fabric.
http://rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=3385107&categoryId=3138886

mike

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I'm a strange size, but I think their shirts always fit me a bit weird... mainly that the collar is just a bit too tight, as if they are designing their stuff for people who aren't going to button the top button and wear a tie. I'm a 40" chest with a 34" arm and a 16" neck but their shirts are always slightly too small in the neck for me or if I go up a size I feel like I'm wearing a blouse :eusa_doh: But I really like their designs! This isn't the only one they've released in the last few months that has a great 30's and or 20's inspiration put into it! :)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
same boat

mike said:
I don't think I'm a strange size, but I think their shirts always fit me a bit weird... mainly that the collar is just a bit too tight, as if they are designing their stuff for people who aren't going to button the top button and wear a tie. I'm a 40" chest with a 34" arm and a 16" neck but their shirts are always slightly too small in the neck for me or if I go up a size I feel like I'm wearing a blouse :eusa_doh: But I really like their designs! This isn't the only one they've released in the last few months that has a great 30's and or 20's inspiration put into it! :)

Im a size 40 with a 16.5 neck.
So about the same situation.
Its not the easiest size, as the torso is a medium but the neck is a large.
I'm always looking for slimfit shirts. Usually european designed shirts are more suitable, as theyre larger neck shirts are not as voluminous as american shirts.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I have some of the rugby club collar shirts.
But I really liked a Ralph Lauren Shirt that Shearer & I picked up last spring:

Detachable club collar. Plus I like the color. Rugby's shirts tend to be more along the blue scheme.
2620269476_67950bf17c.jpg

2620269248_58a0ab1269.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Sportshirts tend to run 14.5x33 for small, 15.5x34 as a medium, and 16.5x35 as a large, so it seems like you just happens to be stuck between sizes. Rugby used to size their shirts like dress shirts but I think that started getting too expensive to do. Also the store sn't particularly large so it mist've been a headache in the stockroom to be carrying all those different sleeve sizes.

mike

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Im a size 40 with a 16.5 neck.
So about the same situation.
Its not the easiest size, as the torso is a medium but the neck is a large.
I'm always looking for slimfit shirts. Usually european designed shirts are more suitable, as theyre larger neck shirts are not as voluminous as american shirts.

Ok good to hear! I thought I was the only one didn't fit into their mold. Also if you check out the various sizing of the RRL line, they can be all over the place with mediums at times having upwards of almost 50" chests! What were they trying to keep up with Peterman!? :eusa_doh: :p

Love the look of that detachable collar even if it's just vintage inspired. I have had a running argument for awhile with my roommate who is a senior colorist at JCrew, on why companies feel the need to put their own uninspired reinterpretation on vintage styles and can't just leave well enough alone by doing straight forward reproductions of classic styles as seen coming out of Japan. She's sure I'm wrong, I'm sure she's wrong, and that's about the end of that lol

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
I have had a running argument for awhile with my roommate who is a senior colorist at JCrew, on why companies feel the need to put their own uninspired reinterpretation on vintage styles and can't just leave well enough alone by doing straight forward reproductions of classic styles as seen coming out of Japan. She's sure I'm wrong, I'm sure she's wrong, and that's about the end of that lol
They tend to call it "updated classics".. [huh]
I feel if a company made a straightforward vintage repro it would be be new and fresh enough to entice the market.

Btw, I have that same RL detachable collar shirt. It's a neat item.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Rover said:
Hey,
I've seen some original 1920s examples of shirts like this one that we just got in a Rugby for our spring transition line. It is a broadcloth or a an end-on-end with stripes and flecks that sort of feel like braille. Anybody have any or know anything about this style?
pPOLO2-5452496_standard_v330.jpg

You need to go to the web-site to zoom in and take a close look at the fabric.
http://rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=3385107&categoryId=3138886

Dont most shirts have TWO buttons on the cuff to choose how youd like the shirt to fall on your wrist? The RUGBY brand shirts only have ONE button and so end up feeling sloppy to me.

BTW , heres that kooky Rugby shirt that was in the store for so long...I finally bought one.
The collar is rounded a bit like a club collar, but buttoned down.
3220636289_1a7b359c85.jpg

3220636289_1a7b359c85.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Rugby used to make all of their dress shirts (i.e. most shirts that come in broadcloth as opposed to oxford) with sleeve and neck sizes, but recently have converted to only making sports shirts, probably due to the expense of offering a full size run, and I feel like that is a design hiccup that was overlooked. When you are making shirts that are sized with appropriate neck and sleeve sizes, I find that it is less of an issue, as the shirt sleeve will hit where it is supposed to. The one button is supposed to look cleaner. This is speculation, though, as I recently bought a Polo sports shirt and it had one button, so that may be something they have always done with sports shirts.
I tend to see Ralph sized shirts with one button and shirts with combination sleeve sizes (i.e. 15.5x33/34) tend to have two buttons on the cuff to allow 33 and 34 sizes to wear the shirts cleanly.
Since sport shirts are sold as standard s/m/l/xl/etc., the fit is a lot less exact, making the sleeves seem messy, and you'll notice that the shirts are marketed and merchandised to be worn with the sleeves rolled up. I've been dealing with this design flaw by using sleeve garters when wearing the shirts with suits, but that's just a quick fix and I'll try to bring it up with designers if the opportunity arises.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sleeve garters?
I'll just re-sew the button.

Frankly I like the dual buttons to adjust the cuff for a larger wristwatch.

Hey, maybe I'll pull a 'George Costanza' and punch another hole in there with a letter opener. Instant french cuff.
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael