Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flexiroll lapels

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I'll make it short, and let the image speak: the other day, I bought a suit. I took it to Einstein Dry-Cleaners [name changed], and this is how I got it back:

flexiroll.jpg

I just returned it and showed it to the lady there. She turned it back and forth, uttering insightful uh-huhs, then stared at me. I explained and showed her that one lapel was ironed with the crease above the uppermost button, as originally, while the other was newly ironed one button below.

Then I showed her the original crease. After a second round of touching and uh-huhs, she asked me cluelessly "And how do you want it?" I thought I'd surprise her and opted for symmetry. She forced the first button closed, using the original crease, and said something like "That should work, shouldn't it?" I showed her that the new crease bulged and distorted the whole side of the lapel, and grudgingly she accepted to send it back with a note. I just hope the new crease won't show.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
A page from my life...

:mad: This happened to me not once...not twice...but THREE times with the same dry cleaner in my area. I know that I should have dropped them sooner, but the owner was quite helpful (when she was there) and their shirt pressing was first-rate. What finally got me was when they returned a shirt to me with one of their's employees' lipstick pressed into the placket of one of my best Brook's Brothers shirts. The stain and their loss of me as a customer are both permanent.

Sadly, I have had a terrible time finding a cleaner who will take the time to pay attention to detail and do it right...especially when it comes to pressing dress shirts. Sadly, they also seem to be immune to criticism. Unlike many, I'd be happy to pay a bit more for a better level of service, but most service providers only aim at the center of the bell curve where "good enough is good enough."

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Independent cleaners

usually care a lot more than big chains! Try to find a little old mom and pop operation.
I have to rave about mine, Voque (sic) Cleaners in Berkeley CA (for all you locals). Fast, cheap, perfect cleaning, and she fixes little rips and spots without being asked or charging for it!
She also does alterations and I just had three jackets and coats relined, perfectly, including new bound buttonholes. What a gem!
The only sad part is that she used to do reproductions of vintage garments, but had to stop as she has not enough time.
So look around for a new cleaner - our vintage treasures deserve the best!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know who your cleaners were and I won't type the name in fear that it was purposely changed by a bartender, but if it's who I think it is, they have a nasty habit of writing my last name - *IN PERMANENT BLACK MARKER* - on the inside of my nice shirts. I really don't care for their excuses and I don't care how necessary it may seem. I will not return.

I go to a place over on 21st and Carpenter in Des Moines called Cardinal Cleaners. I have always been treated well and they do an amazing job.

Even when I ask them to do a heavy starch on 50/50 poly-cotton trousers (which they sort of laugh at me, but they do it anyway because I insist).

I've never even so much as lost a button. :D

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I've had my name written on the tail of my shirt but the ironing job on the suit jacket and the person not understanding that it is wrong is shocking.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
I don't know who your cleaners were and I won't type the name in fear that it was purposely changed by a bartender, but if it's who I think it is, they have a nasty habit of writing my last name - *IN PERMANENT BLACK MARKER* - on the inside of my nice shirts. I really don't care for their excuses and I don't care how necessary it may seem. I will not return.

I go to a place over on 21st and Carpenter in Des Moines called Cardinal Cleaners. I have always been treated well and they do an amazing job.

Even when I ask them to do a heavy starch on 50/50 poly-cotton trousers (which they sort of laugh at me, but they do it anyway because I insist).

I've never even so much as lost a button. :D

We have a Cardinal Cleaners here in Boone and they are top-notch. Good service every time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Undertow said:
writing my last name - *IN PERMANENT BLACK MARKER* - on the inside of my nice shirts.
:eek:

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I never know if this is worse or the alternative known as The Texas Stapler Massacre.
:eek:

Perfection. :eusa_clap

Shoes187.jpg

The code please!

A good cleaner is a treasure. Many cleaners will put you in their file and make a 3 letter code of you name on the collar. This helps if the shirt gets seperated and they need to figure out to whom it belongs.

I have had pants pressed with a totally new crease next to the old one! Well, everyone has their off days too, but it really shouldn't have been left like that.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I never know if this is worse or the alternative known as The Texas Stapler Massacre.

My cleaner recently started outsourcing their work. They no longer do the cleaning themselves on premise.:mad:

The last time I received a batch of clothing back, there were 3, yes 3 staples through each tag with the ticket! Luckily there weren't vintage, so I wasn't distraught that they destroyed the vintage tag, but it took what seemed like forever to pry the staples out of the tags. Not to mention my husbands pants came back with the same water spot I dropped them in with:rage: !

I am now cleaner shopping.

Dry cleaning is different than other cleaning methods. It uses a type of solvent to lift the body oils and grease type stuff along with the dirt and odors out of the fabric. Things such as food and wine spills have components that are not removed during dry cleaning and must be spot treated prior to pressing which can scorch the non grease and oils components into the fabric. Sugary drinks count amoung the worst things to get on clothes and get pressed into the fabric. Always tell the dry cleaner about such spills when dropping off the garment so they can treat that faux pas and get it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot