Floppy Fedora from the 1920s?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by kaosharper1, Feb 19, 2012.

1. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

Anyone have an idea on this style? Like when it's from? I'm having Art Fawcett make up a replica, but I thought some of the scholars here might know something about it:

[​IMG]

2. I don't know much about it, but I like it, very different!

3. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

A nice fedora for sure.

The photo looks like late 1920s or early 1930s at the latest, considering Earl Stendahl's age (1888-1966) and the soft shirt collar construction.

The generous side dents of the hat were popular throughout the Twenties (on Homburgs, too). My guess would be that the hat is from the late Twenties.

The brim is snapped down front and back (again, a popular look in the late Twenties), which often results in a floppy look. The felt doesn't even have to be that floppy in order to produce a look as the one in this photo. The hat is broken in, judging from the slightly wavy front area.

Slightly off-topic, here's the interesting website of the Stendahl Galleries:
    http://stendahlgalleries.com/

Here's a blown-up version of the photo posted by kaosharper1:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I'd say 1930s. Starched collars were going out of fashion by the 20s. And it's pretty obviously a collared shirt there, with a loose, floppy collar.

Floppy felts are nothing new, so I'd have a hard time dating the hat.

5. [​IMG]
    Akubra Fed IV with side dents and brim down.
    (But I'm not an exhibitionist).

6. [​IMG]
    Playboy works even better!

7. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

Thanks guys. The shape of my face is round like Stendahl's and I thought this looked good on him. So I thought this would be a good overcoat hat and different than my other fedoras.

Looking good Hatophile!

8. Thanks, Kao. If you try it, post some pics. I think I'm liking this look too.

9. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

We'll have a little wait I'm afraid. I'm in Art's que, but I'm not in a hurry. This is really a winter hat and the winter's kind of over here in SoCal (such as it is).

10. Wish I could say the same for Ohio!

11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Bohemians of the early 20th century wore black Austrian Velours in this way.

[​IMG]

Wyndham Lewis wearing a black Austrian Velour in this manner.

[​IMG]

12. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

Since Stendahl was an art gallery owner it would make sense that this Bohemian style would continue into the 20s. Thanks.

13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

I believe the photo above is from the late 1920s early 30s. This one is from 1929.

[​IMG]

KarlCrow likes this.
  14. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

Here's Ezra Pound, but I couldn't find one of him as a young man with a fedora that was any good:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012