Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floppy Fedora from the 1920s?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Anyone have an idea on this style? Like when it's from? I'm having Art Fawcett make up a replica, but I thought some of the scholars here might know something about it:

URL]

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A nice fedora for sure.

The photo looks like late 1920s or early 1930s at the latest, considering Earl Stendahl's age (1888-1966) and the soft shirt collar construction.

The generous side dents of the hat were popular throughout the Twenties (on Homburgs, too). My guess would be that the hat is from the late Twenties.

The brim is snapped down front and back (again, a popular look in the late Twenties), which often results in a floppy look. The felt doesn't even have to be that floppy in order to produce a look as the one in this photo. The hat is broken in, judging from the slightly wavy front area.

Slightly off-topic, here's the interesting website of the Stendahl Galleries:
http://stendahlgalleries.com/

Here's a blown-up version of the photo posted by kaosharper1:

oiji.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'd say 1930s. Starched collars were going out of fashion by the 20s. And it's pretty obviously a collared shirt there, with a loose, floppy collar.

Floppy felts are nothing new, so I'd have a hard time dating the hat.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Thanks guys. The shape of my face is round like Stendahl's and I thought this looked good on him. So I thought this would be a good overcoat hat and different than my other fedoras.

Looking good Hatophile!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
We'll have a little wait I'm afraid. I'm in Art's que, but I'm not in a hurry. This is really a winter hat and the winter's kind of over here in SoCal (such as it is).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21