Flying Legends - Duxford July 2008

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Marv, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

Just a quickie chaps, I am thinking of going to the Flying Legends airshow at Duxford in July and was wondering if you had any hints or tips on travel, hotels etc.
    I have had a quick look and most of the hotels near Duxford are already book up for the Fri, Sat & Sun of that weekend so looks as though I will have to stay in Cambridge.
    If this is the case then any idea what the traffic is like traveling out of Cambridge and down the M11 to Duxford and what is the best sort of time to arrive to avoid the traffic caos.
    Also, the airshow itself - 1) Is the airshow the same on both days 2) Is it worth going for the gold pass or just the standard ticket price.

Any help would be appreciate.....

2. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Bed & Breakfast.

I usually stay around the Alconburys which is a short 20 min drive straight down to Duxford.

3. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

I grew up around there. Traffic in and out of Cambridge during the summer - actually, at most times - is heavy and moves slowly. Start early.

Accomodation in Cambridge should be relatively easy to find: it's got quite a few hotels and many bed & breakfast rooms (good prices, often friendly family-run places). You can visit The Eagle pub while you're in Cambridge, which although it's been extensively developed still - I think - retains the back room of the original, notable for the names of men and their sqdns written on the ceiling in Zippo soot. Many local pubs have these signatures - see other FL threads.

4. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

Thanks guys, I stayed in Cambridge last month for a few days visiting Duxford during the week which was good and also visited the Eagle pub having a few drinks in the RAF bar at the rear which has the ceiling artwork with all the pilots names etc from over the years.
    I was quite suprised how much of a student bar it seemed considering the topic etc. but had a good night.

5. number6

number6 Familiar Face

Duxford

I always get to the show around 8.00am, avoids traffic and the trade stands are generallly already up and runnning so things to look at to get you in the aviation mood. Book an early Tiger Moth flight and your day is set. Trust me .

6. Micawber

Micawber A-List Customer

Arrive early and stake your claim to a good vantage point. Even the best spots in the VIP area get taken early. Trust me.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

B&B is the thing.
    Program is the same on both days.
    (I use to take both days anyway!)

Don't bothe with the Golden VIP thing. If you arrive around 10 you should be able to get a good seat (bring your own foldingchair and remember the binoculars.)

I plan to attend this year too. I hope.:)

8. Micawber

Micawber A-List Customer

I used to have the advantage of living just a very few miles down the road but wouldn't pay for the VIP etc enclosure either ...but rarely turned down an invite :)