Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folding a Christy

ledsled

One of the Regulars
I bought a Christy folding fedora a while back (the kind that fit in a tube). I stored it unfolded and placed the open hat on top of the tube. I was surprised at how well it held it's shape. Now I need the storage space, so want to fold it up inside the tube. Do you think I can find the directions on how to fold it up the correct way? DUH! :eusa_doh: I can guess, but if you have the directions, I'd rather not be guessing. Thanks!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Push one side of the crown into the other forming a light crease longitudinally over the top.

Convince the brim to go in the down-all-around position, although it will be puckered somewhat.

Then begin rolling from a point on the brim.

You'll notice the hat tends to gather up at the top and become sort of pointed.

I like to do the crown fold and rolling process so that the bow on the ribbon is still visible when finished.

I cannot vouch for how a hat like yours will respond to being stored rolled up long term but g'luck.

Here's a pic of how my Borsalino looks when rolled.

DSC_0002.jpg

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply and post a picture, HarpPlayerGene. Even though your Borsalino is in a different container, the photo has inspired me to go ahead and fold up the Christy.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's easy

christy-turlington-product-red-gap-ad.jpg

Fold Christy's right leg back so her right toes rest on her left thigh...fold her left leg back so her left ankle crosses over her right...have Christy grasp her knees and straighten her back gracefully and there you are.

:eusa_doh: Oh, this is a hat you're talking about.

Never mind.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Christy

I rather like the red folding Christy above! The folding Christy the thread originally intended (but please feel free to stray off topic again!) is a folding fedora made by Christy's of London. It comes with a storage tube, which now that I think about it, is red. Coincidence? Hmmm.

Since I have never been successful posting pictures beyond my avatar, here is a link if you want to see what the hat looks like:

http://www.hartfordyork.com/product/173/xxl-large-hats

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Thanks... I had not seen that picture/thread yet. I must admit that my first reaction was to wince at the sight of a crushed fedora.

It goes well with your avatar... sort of looks like your arm is leaving the avatar photo and then entering the thread with the hat.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
"Easy to roll up just about any soft felt hat. If it is the right hat it comes back with no problem. Just don't leave any creases on the brim.

I wouldn't want to try it with the thicker models. I do it with my vintage hats off and on to get a rise out of onlookers."

True.

For kicks, I briefly rolled up my old Warner. It's a light weight felt, Cav' edge, no liner hat. Very good vintage quality though, and totally soft so it was asking for it. Came back with absolutely no problem.

After:

DSC_0021.jpg

I continue to think we worry too much about hurting hats when they are actually tougher than blue jeans.

My hats are here to protect me and make me better looking, not the other way around.
:)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Scott,

Christy used to make some of the best hats in the UK, as well as the felt bodies for many of the other 'top hatmakers'. The firm's main factory in Stockport is now the de facto national museum of hat-making in the UK and is well worth a visit.

My father's grey pre-war Christy Imperial is the best fedora or trilby I own and my pride and joy.

scotrace said:
What's a "Christy," anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24