Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folding Money

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
poetman said:
You might want to try a different style money clip. Some clips are just a metal fold, and the clip tightens over the bills by squeezing it together. There are other types of clips, which I find more durable, that have some sort of metal inside the clip itself, either a bar, or like mine, which has two arcs on either side, so when I put my bills inside, they push the arc down, and the pressure of the arc trying to push back up causes the bills to stay snug. This puts the strain on the arcs--which only slide back--and not the actually clip. (I hope that made sense.) The other benefit of this latter style is that you can keep a thinner fold that is equally as tight. It takes a little effort to find a durable and attractice money clip. I bought mine at Filene's in Boston. I believe the stores are now closing out. I *think* the brand is Perry Ellis.

This is the type of clip I would discourage. There is nothing between the metal, so the strain is constantly placed on the crease of the clip.

http://diamonds.bluenile.com/assets/product_images/moneyclip/UA16700700_zoom.jpg

This, however, is the same style that I own. You can see the metal arcs between the fold. This is druable and sturdy; it also keeps the fold tight, which I really like.

http://dts.ystoretools.com/1074/images/500x500/stainless-money-clip-ggr254.jpg

Your first photo is the style of the one I own that broke. What I liked about this style is that it is long enough so that the bills can be folded in half, and the credit cards stuck between the bills.

I like the leaf spring in the second photo of yours, but I would like the clip to be longer so that I do not have to trifold the bills.

A combination of the two styles would be ideal :)

mikepara

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I start every day with $300 cash(three $100 bills), one debit card(5k checking balance) and one credit card(Amex). I use all three, depending on the circumstances.

Tomasso, So what do you finish each day with?

No small notes! What do you stick in the 'bar dancing' girl's briefs? ;)

mikepara

Practically Family
carebear said:
I've gone too many times in my life where the $20 in my pocket was all the money I had.

It's nice to just pay for things without waiting for someone to bring me something to sign. I can always get a receipt if it's tax-deductible.

If I didn't just write that I was going to.
Put these words into a readable sentence: heart my after man own.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mikepara said:

No small notes! What do you stick in the 'bar dancing' girl's briefs? ;)

I agree Airborne, gotta have a few small bills for tipping (valets, hat checks, doormen, hostesses, snitches, etc.).

Although, once you break that first C-note you usually have change, so I guess it works out.

dnjan

One Too Many
I tend to do almost everything by plastic as well. Possibly because the wife pays the credit card bill out of the joint account, but cash is "mine".

However when I travel, I've found that I need to carry a lot more cash. Especially when overseas. Imagine my shock a few years ago when I found out that the place I was staying outside of Sapporo, Japan only took cash! I had stayed there an entire week. My experience in Europe has been similar, though not as extreme.

Even travelling in the U.S requires more cash than I usually carry. A cab at Dullas airport (in the middle of nowhere, outside of Washington D.C.) did not take credit cards. Plus the (seemingly) constant stream of singles for tips, etc.

mikepara

Practically Family
I don't get that whole tipping thing.

last time I was in London the waiters in the lounge where initially all hanging around after opening our bottles of beer. Being a bunch of veterans and not of the shy persuasion we asked them what they wanted. Seemingly a tip was the answer. Well this being london all the waiters and ess' where Aussies. We carefully explained that 'We where not Americans and as neither the British or the Aussies tip everyone for everything they could whistle.

Strangely this no nonsense approach struck a chord with our colonial brothers and we got on fine thereafter. We giving freely our lively banter all week, they getting tips off the 'Yanks'. Sorted.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mikepara said:
It depends on the day. Some days I don't use any cash and other days I'm at the ATM withdrawing more cash by noon.

mikepara said:
What do you stick in the 'bar dancing' girl's briefs?
;)
My card. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mikepara said:
I don't get that whole tipping thing.

In America, servers are generally paid minimum wage, so they depend on gratuities for the lion's share of their livelihood. Other countries pay servers a living wage so they are not as dependant on gratuities. Most Americans are unaware of the difference, hence when abroad they tend tip or over-tip.

Conversely, in Miami Beach, a 15% gratuity is included in the bill because most international visitors do not tip.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Passport

I keep one credit/cash card ,my drivers license and any bills twenty or larger in my passport secured with a money clip.

*not recommended at border crossing checkpoints (most of the time)

poetman

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
Your first photo is the style of the one I own that broke. What I liked about this style is that it is long enough so that the bills can be folded in half, and the credit cards stuck between the bills.

I like the leaf spring in the second photo of yours, but I would like the clip to be longer so that I do not have to trifold the bills.

A combination of the two styles would be ideal :)

What do you mean "folded in half?"
I keep my clip like this:

http://www.thednastore.com/images/moneyclip/clip1f.jpg

Some people also keep this:

http://www.silverqueen.com/JewelryCoins/pictures/lunt money clip.jpg

but I think any money clip can service either style. It's more a matter of preference rather than the clip being unable to do something.

poetman

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
See my photo in my earlier post. I think the clip should be as long as the one in my photo if the bills are to be folded in half. The clip you are using is not long enough IMO for half folds.

M8

I see, so you want the edge of your clip to cover most of the bill. Well, that shouldn't be too hard to find, as clips come in different lengths. I would, however, recommend that internal support. I had a clip without one, years ago, and it broke. Then, I went to a Jeweler and ordered a new one, and the new one also broke at the crease. Most recently, two years ago or so, I picked one up at Filenes. It's either a Pierre Cardin or a Perry Ellis. It's not as long as the one you prefer, but I like the design, and it has the internal support. You might want to google some money clips and see if you can find one that has a support and that is also a bit longer.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
poetman said:
I see, so you want the edge of your clip to cover most of the bill. Well, that shouldn't be too hard to find, as clips come in different lengths. I would, however, recommend that internal support. I had a clip without one, years ago, and it broke. Then, I went to a Jeweler and ordered a new one, and the new one also broke at the crease. Most recently, two years ago or so, I picked one up at Filenes. It's either a Pierre Cardin or a Perry Ellis. It's not as long as the one you prefer, but I like the design, and it has the internal support. You might want to google some money clips and see if you can find one that has a support and that is also a bit longer.

I agree. I am going to look for a longer one with that internal leaf spring for the extra support. We have metal spinners here in Houston, so if I can't find a new clip off the shelf, then I may look into having a custom one made. I'd like to keep the medallion from the old clip, since my dad gave it to me (he's deceased now).

Cheers,

M8

poetman

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
I agree. I am going to look for a longer one with that internal leaf spring for the extra support. We have metal spinners here in Houston, so if I can't find a new clip off the shelf, then I may look into having a custom one made. I'd like to keep the medallion from the old clip, since my dad gave it to me (he's deceased now).

Cheers,

M8

I didn't know custom clips were offered. Definitely post a picture once you get it together. Good luck!

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
In America, servers are generally paid minimum wage, so they depend on gratuities for the lion's share of their livelihood. Other countries pay servers a living wage so they are not as dependant on gratuities. Most Americans are unaware of the difference, hence when abroad they tend tip or over-tip.

Conversely, in Miami Beach, a 15% gratuity is included in the bill because most international visitors do not tip.

What I like about tipping is that I get to clearly indicate when the service was NOT good, just as much as I can let them know when it IS. Rotten service (a more common happening nowadays, it seems) = low or no tip. Good service? 15-20% tip.

I chafe at restaurants that mandate a gratuity, though...something about it annoys me. I'd rather they just pay the waitstaff more, and indicate that no tipping is required (or allowed). Including a "gratuity" in the bill seems presumptuous to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo