Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folding Money

vintage68

Practically Family
I'm not sure if this is really a memory, or wishful thinking, but I seem to remember my grandfather carrying what today would be considered a lot of money folded up in his front trouser pocket. Maybe $500 in various bills.

I'm curious what the habits are of Fedora Lounge members? As a rule, how much money do you carry with you and how do you carry it? Do you use the really vintage method of "folding money" with maybe a clip, or do you simply whip out the old ATM card everywhere you go?

I posted this thread on another forum, but thought this one might be more specific.

And BTW, this is my 50th post!

Rooster

Practically Family
I carry cash. generally $100 + or -. Going to or coming home from gunshows I may carry several thousand. Small amonts in the wallet, larger amounts can only be carried folded.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I most often carry no cash (ATM card everywhere), and almost never more than $20. So, not very vintage. I've never owned a money clip. When I do carry cash, I just fold it in half, small bills on the outside, and put it in my front trouser pocket. My wallet (in the back hip pocket) is just a small card case.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I carry cash for a lot of things.

Its part of a budget system for me. I have envelopes for 'Groceries' "Eating out" "fun money"...etc..

I put the money in them when I get paid....and I spend downwards....when that envelope has no cash left in it...I cant spend more in that area.

No nasty surprises of...."oops...that new dress I bought means the rent check bounced'....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I carry "walkin' around money," generally $40 or so, out of which I buy groceries, gas, and any other incidentals I might need. I never use a credit card or debit card in a store unless I'm buying something work-related, which gives me documentation for taxes.

If I'm going on a trip I'll take more cash, but rarely more than $80 or so. Any more than that and I feel like I might as well be wearing a sign that says "SMALL TOWN RUBE -- ROB HER NOW!"

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I use a money clip. When I am in 3rd World countries (where I spend a lot of time) I also carry a pouch that is looped on my belt and hangs on the inside of my trousers.

Sunny

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
If I'm going on a trip I'll take more cash, but rarely more than $80 or so. Any more than that and I feel like I might as well be wearing a sign that says "SMALL TOWN RUBE -- ROB HER NOW!"

lol lol lol I've felt like that, too, and I don't live in a small town!

I'm usually with Orgetorix, using my debit card and maybe $20 in cash. I've found it easier to keep my books straight that way.

But sometimes I'm out with my youngest brother and I'll buy something for him since he doesn't have the cash on him. He'll always pay me back in cash, which of course I don't put right back into the checking account. On the most recent occasion he payed me back with nearly $40, while I happened to have a $40 withdrawal I'd just made. (Like Lizzie, my walking around money.) For the time that that lasted, it was a really good feeling to just pull out the cash and be done with it. I didn't have to mess with debit cards and PINs. It'd be nice to get into that for real. I can already see a way to work it so my books will stay straight...

Great thread! :eusa_clap

Edit: I forgot to add how I carry it. Since I'm a woman, naturally in my bag. I've long ago gone to handbags since I can't manage to keep a shoulder strap on my shoulder. My wallet is very small, just spaces for a few cards and folded money. I'll use pockets in my jeans and the few pocketed dresses I have when I can.

Rosie

One Too Many
My Daddy carried around lots of money too! He would always have loads of money on him, never really understood that.

I don't normally carry around a lot of money. I'm more of a debit card girl. Lately though, I've been carrying around a hudred bucks or so because I've gotten into the habit of getting my nails done again and, I've hitting the 99 cents stores in the various neighborhoods where the schools I supervise are. (BTW, the 99 cents stores are a VERY bad habit, I always sem to spend lots of money).

I carry my larger denominations in my wallet, things like 5s and 10s in the zipper part of my bag or purse, singles usually go in my coat pocket or the front pocket of my bag and change goes wherever.

vintage68

Practically Family
Carrying cash for me is a budgeting tool. I have found over the years that it's just too easy to overspend when I carry my credit cards around with me. There's always that self-justifying "emergency" or "must have" item.

These days I carry folding money wrapped around a drivers license and my CCW permit, all held together with a clip. When I'm out of cash I know it's time to hit the bank again to cash a check. Simple and effective.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like to carry around a few hundred. I've gone too many times in my life where the $20 in my pocket was all the money I had.

It's nice to just pay for things without waiting for someone to bring me something to sign. I can always get a receipt if it's tax-deductible.

poetman

A-List Customer
vintage68 said:
Carrying cash for me is a budgeting tool. I have found over the years that it's just too easy to overspend when I carry my credit cards around with me. There's always that self-justifying "emergency" or "must have" item.

These days I carry folding money wrapped around a drivers license and my CCW permit, all held together with a clip. When I'm out of cash I know it's time to hit the bank again to cash a check. Simple and effective.

I agree. I carry enough cash to last me until my next paycheck. Depending on the week, the amount varies. Usually, I carry around 100, but I try to make all my purchases with the cash. If I use credit and debit cards, I spend foolishly. It is harder to let go of cash, and the deduction is much more physical. I put a few cards in the center, fold bills around them enclose them in a sylish money clip. Wallets are too big and bulky, and terribly uncomfortable, and loose cash and cards are too sloppy for me. The money clip is ideal: neat, clean, and conscious.

WH1

Practically Family
Normally I start the week with 10 $20 bills folded in my money clip. I carry it in my right front pocket. I also developed a habit of never using the coin change I receive back and saving it all in a jar on my dresser. It adds up nicely. I carry 1 credit card and use it primarily for fuel purchases, it is much easier to track that way.

Steve

Practically Family
I carry about $25 with me on a normal day. When I know I'll need more, I just go to the bank and take it beforehand. To me, cash is the safest, and, (if I can say this without sounding a tad shady,) anonymous way to buy things. In this age of white collar crime, I doubt I will ever carry own more than two credit cards, no matter what kind of discount Best Buy gives. :p

Oh, and I carry my cash in a leather wallet in my back pocket.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Folding Money
Radney Foster

When I was just a boy, my granddaddy took me to town one afternoon
He drove an LTD, wore a big white Stetson, and two-tone cowboy boots
He said, "Son here goes" and handed me a twenty just to see the look on my face
He said, "Don't tell your mama nothin about it, don't spend it all in one place."

You see it takes foldin' money to get the deal done
Foldin' money to have a little fun
Foldin' money to pay a few bills
Eat a steak dinner, and cure a couple ills
Folding money, you need a little stash
Some greenback dollars and cold hard cash
Save it for a rainy day or give away a little bit, son
It takes folding money to get the deal done.

Ever since the day I learned to earn a dollar I've been taking his advice to heart
Cause when a man finds the courage to keep his cash, some romance is bound to start
Now romance is just like money, you can always get more if you've got it
And let me tell you friends, I'm a lot more handsome with a C note in my pocket

:D

StanleyVanBuren

I have a single-fold brown leather wallet. It holds 2 credit cards, a debit card, my student ID, and my driver's license. Beyond that, it usually has somewhere between $5 and $40 and rarely more as, like most others it seems, I use my debit card for just about everything.

Mostly though, the point is how little I have in my wallet. I have what I need, and nothing more.

Nothing says "ugly American" worse than a fat, overstuffed wallet.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
StanleyVanBuren said:
Nothing says "ugly American" worse than a fat, overstuffed wallet.
Actually, Americans are known and appreciated worldwide for their big, fat wallets. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo