Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food network, anyone?

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Alton Brown, from Good Eats is on a book signing tour. Today he was in Oklahoma City, where I took a picture with him. The minute I spoke with him was worth the traffic and the line I had to go through.

I was wondering if anyone here watches Good Eats, or anything else on the Food Network. I know one lounger does, as I met him in the line dressed as Indy, wearing his Adventurebilt hat.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Guy visited Mama E's, which is here in OK. When I tried to go, it was closed! I settled for the bbq place down the road, which was really good.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am not familiar with any of this, I am not sure but we do not get any of those programs on my cable and I rarely watch TV any more. Sounds good however.

But when it comes to food, the only thing I really look at is my plate and what is on it!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I watch Food Network, and Alton Brown is one of the few personalities I actually like. He seems like a genuine nice guy. I really enjoy watching during November when they run all the Thanksgiving cooking specials. For strictly cooking, I like Giada and Ina Garten, and occasionally Nigella.

I also watch Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, even though I find Guy obnoxious. Some of the places he visits are so interesting!

I dislike most of the personalities, as the Food Network seems to be focused more on marketing crappy cookware & knives rather than actual cooking (Rachel Ray I'm talking to you).

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Whatever happened to Emeril "I Built This Network" Lagasse? Did he get/give the heave ho from/to the Food Network? The last time I saw him, he looked like the last of the bloated Roman emperors on the jar of supermarket sauce...

rue

I used to watch the Food Network all the time and I liked Guy's shows, Ina Garten (although the slurpy noise she makes while cooking bugs me), Paula Deen (how can you not like a woman that loves butter that much), Iron Chef, Chopped, etc.... but we got rid of the cable TV in Ohio. I have cable again (the daughter protested :p), so I'll probably watch the holiday specials [huh]

I dislike most of the personalities, as the Food Network seems to be focused more on marketing crappy cookware & knives rather than actual cooking (Rachel Ray I'm talking to you).

Ugh.... Rachel Ray.... If I hear her say EVOO just one more time..... :rolleyes:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I used to watch the Food Network all the time and I liked Guy's shows, Ina Garten (although the slurpy noise she makes while cooking bugs me), Paula Deen (how can you not like a woman that loves butter that much), Iron Chef, Chopped, etc.... but we got rid of the cable TV in Ohio. I have cable again (the daughter protested :p), so I'll probably watch the holiday specials [huh]

Ugh.... Rachel Ray.... If I hear her say EVOO just one more time..... :rolleyes:

Ina's 'tude bugs me more than the sound effects: "I use only the best kobe beef flown in direct from Japan, but if you can't find that, whatever ground chuck you have at your local sack 'n save will do."

Giada's the worst with the food-gasm sound effects.

I generally like Paula Deen's cooking (most of it), but her sons make me insane. lol

Is Mario Batali even on that network anymore?

rue

Ina's 'tude bugs me more than the sound effects: "I use only the best kobe beef flown in direct from Japan, but if you can't find that, whatever ground chuck you have at your local sack 'n save will do."
That's so true! lol
Giada's the worst with the food-gasm sound effects.
I know!! I swear she does that on purpose to get a reaction from the male viewers :rolleyes:
I generally like Paula Deen's cooking (most of it), but her sons make me insane. lol
She really does have the best recipes on the network, I think. You don't like her sons? I have a HUGE crush on Jamie :eek:

Is Mario Batali even on that network anymore?

I hope not.... I can't stand him!

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed. My wife and I are long time viewers but enjoy it less with these personalities. Giada and Rachel Ray are television viewing abominations.
I still like Good Eats and Chopped. Is Bourdain on the FN? I tend to dvr everything and not know what runs where or when..
Oh and I cannot stand this guy.
s-GUY-FIERI-THANKSGIVING-SNL-FOUR-LOKO-large300.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ lol That picture.

I dislike Bourdain.

I used to watch Cooking Channel, assuming it would be different. It was more focused on cooking, but frankly most of the shows weren't very interesting or foods that I would eat. I so, so wanted to love "French Food at Home" but the hostess made my eyes burn.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
That's so true! lol

I know!! I swear she does that on purpose to get a reaction from the male viewers :rolleyes:

She really does have the best recipes on the network, I think. You don't like her sons? I have a HUGE crush on Jamie :eek:

I hope not.... I can't stand him!

1. ITA on Giada.

2. Sometimes I feel like the sons "over-southernize" things. The holiday specials where they have their girlfriends/wives/significant others around are comic gold, though.

3. Aww, I like Batali! I think he's a great chef and not just a TV personality. His crocs kills me, though.

rue

Sometimes I feel like the sons "over-southernize" things. The holiday specials where they have their girlfriends/wives/significant others around are comic gold, though.

Oh yes.... you are right about that! The girlfriends and wives always look like deers caught in headlights lol

I think the only time you see Paula get snippy is when one of those girls come on the show to make something.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't consider myself uptight, I just don't like his attitude. If you don't have anything nice to say, and all that. Present company & this thread excluded of course. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart