Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Well this is pretty interesting, I hope none of us has fallen for the "Common Projects" sneaker marketing hype. These USD$425 sneakers have been considered some of the best you can buy according to "the internet" and their own marketing...but its pretty clear this is not the case lol

I don't get it - why does he think the leather is "cheap" and how would Veg tanned leather improve the shoe?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't get it - why does he think the leather is "cheap" and how would Veg tanned leather improve the shoe?
I don't own any Common Project sneakers but it seems weird to compare sneakers to work boots. It seems that he completely ignored the wear comfort and function of sneakers. Granted these are not really court sneakers but rather for walking only, it still seems strange to ask for leather insole, leather midsole and all parts made of veg tanned leather which is gonna make them inflexible for sneakers and probably require breaking in like boots. There are reasons why they started using canvas and rubber as opposed to leather for sneakers in the 20s.
Anyway, IMO these are indeed premium compared to say Nike, Converse, New Balance, Addidas etc. As to whether they are worth the price, oh well let's not get into that again.

Last edited:
I don't own any Common Project sneakers but it seems weird to compare sneakers to work boots. It seems that he completely ignored the wear comfort and function of sneakers. Granted these are not really court sneakers but rather for walking only, it still seems strange to ask for leather insole, leather midsole and all parts made of veg tanned leather which is gonna make them inflexible for sneakers and probably require breaking in like boots. There are reasons why they started using canvas and rubber as opposed to leather for sneakers in the 20s.
Anyway, IMO these are indeed premium compared to say Nike, Converse, New Balance, Addidas etc. As to whether they are worth the price, oh well let's not get into that again.

Yeah, I don't understand what's he driving at. The whole point of these sneakers is that they're made simple and durable. Rubber sole, leather upper, that's all there is to it. The ones in the video have a lot more than the regular Chucks going on inside and they even have the nails and the shank and other stuff inside... Seems like a pretty good sneaker to me.

And then he goes on about full vs top grain leather and stuff, proves that they're using full grain leather and proceeds to call it cheap...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
He's an interesting channel. I like that he goes inside the shoes and boots, but he doesn't seem to be an actual boot enthusiast.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

If you watch his breakdowns of the converse 70's (approx $85) I don't think you would still believe that.

I thought he explained that in the scratch test? he got to the fibrous layer quicker than a quality leather should.

Anyway I have no skin in the game but I wouldn't pay more than say $50 for these from what I saw.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I've been watching his videos, I am into boots and he has sliced open a few pairs of one I like (RW Iron Rangers and the Nicks). He's very professional in these and keeps them lighthearted which I like, but I really do want to send him some Kevlar cut-resistant gloves.

I also find the Veg-tanned vs Chrome tanned leather notes odd, Stuart at LW will tell you a much different story.

Mich486

One Too Many
I had a few pairs of common projects. While they cost probably more than they should, they still are the best sneakers I have handled. Very sturdy construction and the last is very nice and sleek (there are multiple clones of the CP, none of which gets it quite right). A whole world apart from Converse etc. I like my Converse too but it’s like comparing a Levi’s leather jacket to a Freewheelers.

El Marro

I bought these Wesco’s from Standard & Strange this weekend.
6A7DDB55-0475-4232-AC35-296297AFA305.jpeg

This will be my fourth pair of Wesco’s from S&S and they will help to round out my color palette when it comes to footwear.

Blackadder

If you watch his breakdowns of the converse 70's (approx $85) I don't think you would still believe that.

I thought he explained that in the scratch test? he got to the fibrous layer quicker than a quality leather should.

Anyway I have no skin in the game but I wouldn't pay more than say $50 for these from what I saw.
I am sorry but I have trouble understanding what you mean. Did he say the Converse 70s is better in terms of construction and materials than the Common Projects? I get it that he said the Converse 70s is better than normal Converse. And Converse I do have. I have around 7 pairs of 70s and a couple of normal as well as a couple of made in Japan ones and a bunch of other models.
And I get that the Common Project is probably bad bargain in his eyes that for the price they should have been made of top grain veg tanned leather etc (because it costs almost the same as a pair of Nick's boots) but to compare Converse and Common Projects? The one with rubber insole is premium to the one with chrome leather insole? IMO if the Converse is worth USD 80 and Nike Air Force 1 is worth USD 100, I'd think the Common Project would be worth more than USD 100 according to his criteria of leather, craftmanship etc. Of course, none of those aforementioned branded items are actually worth the SRP cause they are "branded" and I don't need him telling me that. I usually buy sneakers when they are on clearance sale. I do appreciate the complete dissection which reveals the construction. That alone is informative.

Last edited:

Davidm

Familiar Face
i got 5 pairs of common projects, and they are awesome! i always buy them on sales for around $200 and they hold up for like 3-5 years, nothing special but good sneakers and i love them.

Goel

A-List Customer
I got my Common Projects for free so I don't have any skin in the game, but there's no reason that a sneaker should be built like a vintage work boot. Also, chrome tanning is way better than vegetable tanning when it comes to handling water and the elements, not sure why veg tans are held up as some gold standard. I would always prefer chrome tanned hides for jackets or shoes.

Anyone have experience with Indonesian brands? I'm placing an order with Benzein using some Maryam Toscanello horse. I know the local leathers are not so good but the construction looks solid. I still don't have a plain brown service boot so hopefully this will fill that gap. I'd really like to try one of the Japanese brands but they're usually either really dressy or really chunky.

Superfluous

The notion that sneakers should be built like work boots is nonsensical. Sneakers are the antithesis of work boots. Sneakers are intended to be comfortable -- work boots, not so much. I have worn sneakers with leather insoles -- they are much less comfortable and I abandoned them long ago. Moreover, given that chrome tanned leather endures the elements much better than veg tanned leather, I am pleased to hear that Common projects uses the more suitable leather for their sneakers.

I have approximately ten pairs of Common Projects sneakers. I love the simple style, clean lines, and extensive selection of suede and leather uppers. Common Projects are not the best sneakers available, but they are a good choice at a decent price point ($420 ain't cheap, but there are many much more expensive sneakers out there, including some that are materially better than CPs). Given that I wear my sneakers MUCH more often than my jackets, I value and patronize quality brands.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Mate I have many many pairs of Lucchese handmade in the USA boots that don't cost that ! ( $420 USD is $650 Aussie !)

Used for riding my Harley , which at one time and for many years including daily to work.

Each to their own I suppose. If "casual" I am a desert boot kinda guy.

zebedee

One Too Many
At the moment, footwear is just a pair of Merrells as nobody's really travelling long distances or walking them. Feel daft but also Pomopocalypse in a Maxwell and slip-ons.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mate I have many many pairs of Lucchese handmade in the USA boots that don't cost that !

Used for riding my Harley , which at one time and for many years including daily to work.

Each to their own I suppose. If "casual" I am a desert boot kinda guy.

Good for you DGM - I don't own sneakers. Hate the look. My wallet thanks me that I've never acquired an interest in footwear.

zebedee

One Too Many
Good for you DGM - I don't own sneakers. Hate the look. My wallet thanks me that I've never acquired an interest in footwear.
It is funny that I'll spend a considerable sum of money on jackets but am not willing to do so on watches, footwear, jeans or anything else, really. A bit like going to the supermarket and spending 15 quid on red wine and 60p on a loaf of bread. Not for breakfast, obviously.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It is funny that I'll spend a considerable sum of money on jackets but am not willing to do so on watches, footwear, jeans or anything else, really. A bit like going to the supermarket and spending 15 quid on red wine and 60p on a loaf of bread. Not for breakfast, obviously.

Yep, I hear you. However I nearly bought a watch last year that cost half a dozen brand new Himels and I thought - WTF am I thinking? Life is too short to take materialism that seriously. Generally I try to limit what I spend on things because I think of frugality as a virtue. I am a failure as a miser but I try...

Superfluous

Cigars
Stereo equipment
Knives
Sports memorabilia
Watches
Jeans
Camera equipment
Coffee
Cars
Stamps
Work boots
Hats
wine
CDs / LPs
Art
Military paraphernalia
Sunglasses
Golf clubs
Ties
Baseball cards
Coins
Flannel shirts
Shaving equipment

The list is endless. We all have our subjective preferences and priorities. None are more worthy than others, and no one should be judged for emphasizing one over the other.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yep, I hear you. However I nearly bought a watch last year that cost half a dozen brand new Himels and I thought - WTF am I thinking? Life is too short to take materialism that seriously. Generally I try to limit what I spend on things because I think of frugality as a virtue. I am a failure as a miser but I try...

I was really good at frugality when I was earning a great salary in Hong Kong. As soon as I returned to the UK, a smaller salary somehow made me spend too much. Minimalism is a good way to live, but the catch is that most people I know (including me) have owned a lot of stuff before being able to buy the one or two durable, expensive things that don't require rapid replacement. Whether or not this will be the case in the future I don't know, but I've been able to to throw away cheap things and buy the hardier, permanent things- what made minimalism possible was that I didn't have to depend on cheaper stuff. It was a sort of regressive hypocrisy!

zebedee

One Too Many
Cigars
Stereo equipment
Knives
Sports memorabilia
Watches
Jeans
Camera equipment
Coffee
Cars
Stamps
Work boots
Hats
wine
CDs / LPs
Art
Military paraphernalia
Sunglasses
Golf clubs
Ties
Baseball cards
Coins
Flannel shirts
Shaving equipment

The list is endless. We all have our subjective preferences and priorities. None are more worthy than others, and no one should be judged for emphasizing one over the other.
Damn. I knew I'd forgotten something for breakfast- the cigars. Chateau Neuf du Pape, Padron 50th, Tesco Toastier Wholemeal. Yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails