Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For my first post, I...

inappropriate

New in Town
...wanted to ask the kind of question that will immediately reduce everyone's respect and expectations of me to nil. That way, nowhere to go but up! So the idiocy is best when served as the first-course, logically.

I succeeded, when I asked for a kind of "pictorial encyclopedia" of hats. And then realized moments later, oh, yes, the link to the hatter at the top of this very page would provide exactly that.

So now the question becomes (after a quick edit) -
Any resources with "hat theory"? For example -
If your neck is so many inches, and your head is such a shape, and you're this many feet-and-inches tall, you should give the _____ a try.

like that.

Thanks.
maybe

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome aboard, and I wish it were that easy. You can't tell what kind of hat will look good until you've tried a few. I've gotten compliments on everything from top hats to bowlers to straw boaters, and I have over 50 fedoras of every brim width.

It just depends what mood I'm in, I guess.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge

And I believe an encyclopedia of hats etc would be great!...with perhaps sample pieces of felt, so you can feel the difference....and of course tons of pics!:D :eusa_clap :D :eusa_clap

deelovely

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
And I believe an encyclopedia of hats etc would be great!...with perhaps sample pieces of felt, so you can feel the difference....and of course tons of pics!:D :eusa_clap :D :eusa_clap
Yes... Wouldn't that be great! Oh and swatches of all the colors the different hats come in! lol lol

Welcome to the Lounge, Inappropriate! :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Inappropriate. Don't worry, if you soak up information like a sponge and ask plenty of questions, you'll know a lot more in just a few months.

Just watch out for the couple at the corner table. Word is they're grifters.

Looks like deelovely and Colby Jack are cookin' up a new project. Let's give them a lot of encouragement...and a deadline.
:D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome....

Martinis at 8 said:
Just find yourself a nearby hat store. Generally you won't be rushed into making a purchase, IMO.

M8
That's probably the best thing you can do, depending on where you're from, if there are any nearby? Then once you're able to actually physically try them on & see what they look like on you, you can go from there. Good Luck.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
Welcome aboard, and I wish it were that easy. You can't tell what kind of hat will look good until you've tried a few. I've gotten compliments on everything from top hats to bowlers to straw boaters, and I have over 50 fedoras of every brim width.

It just depends what mood I'm in, I guess.

50 fedoras?? Where do you find the storage space? :eusa_clap

Akubra Guy

New in Town
Welcome Inapropriate

When it comes to hats there is no hard and fast rules to follow--just try different types/styles and you'll be suprised at what looks good and what doesn't. But wait a minute (or a day) because you'll find that that what you initially thought didn't look that great on to you at that moment actually works and looks great! Happens to me all the time. :D

My collection ranges from stingy 1 3/4" to wide 4" brims and other styles all of which are worn depending on mood and time of year. It all makes for great fun! A warning though--it will become an addiction, ENJOY!lol

inappropriate

New in Town
Hello again, thanks for all of your replies!

I don't know of any hatters within a reasonable drive.

I do have another question though - is there any particular property of a hat (in any style, or in any particular style) that would help it not to muss my hair? A problem I had in my early attempts to wear a hat, years ago, was that it would cause my hair to fall flat against my scalp, and pressed-out the natural waves in my hair.

Thanks again.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
inappropriate said:
Hello again, thanks for all of your replies!

I don't know of any hatters within a reasonable drive.

I do have another question though - is there any particular property of a hat (in any style, or in any particular style) that would help it not to muss my hair? A problem I had in my early attempts to wear a hat, years ago, was that it would cause my hair to fall flat against my scalp, and pressed-out the natural waves in my hair.

Thanks again.

If this is a problem definitely go for a hat with a high crown that won't smash your hair so much. The sweatband will give you a line around your head depending on how long you wear the hat but partial hat-head is the small price we all pay for wearing such stylish headgear.

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace