Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Have they stuffed any country singers yet?
Elvis had a lot of country in him....though I think he actually stuffed himself.......

Fat%2BElvis.jpg

Elvis had a lot of country in him....though I think he actually stuffed himself.......

Fat%2BElvis.jpg

Ever notice how we almost NEVER see an Elvis impersonator portraying early Elvis??? Even the ones young enough to do so. A few years back there was an Elvis impersonator who used to sell at the swap meet near me. He used to flog tapes and CDs of himself. This guy was Alpha Whiskey Foxtrot Uniform Lima! Even I could do a better Elvis than him -- which really isn't saying much. :(

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This is too funny~~~~~~~ loving this thread! LOL Tomasso!

VC Young Elvis was just too attractive, not many men can impersonate him as young!

Last edited:
One of the very first Elvis impersonators was the late Andy Kaufman, here he is in 1979 introduced by Johnny Cash.

[video=youtube;ppttxQoc74Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppttxQoc74Q&feature=related[/video]

Edward

Bartender
Ever notice how we almost NEVER see an Elvis impersonator portraying early Elvis??? Even the ones young enough to do so. A few years back there was an Elvis impersonator who used to sell at the swap meet near me. He used to flog tapes and CDs of himself. This guy was Alpha Whiskey Foxtrot Uniform Lima! Even I could do a better Elvis than him -- which really isn't saying much. :(

The lovely thing about Elvis impersonators is that you can't lose. If they're good, it's great - hey, it's Elvis. If they're awful it's usually hilarious. I suppose the reason we see so many more of them in jumpsuits is because to the average person nowadays the jumpsuit is the most iconic Elvis look. Also, if you're only going to do one costume for a set, then it makes sense for it to be one fro the later part of his career; it'd look a little out of place having Elvis in the Jailhouse Rock costume sing Suspicious Minds. There was a TV special for impersonators on in the UK a couple of years ago, around the 40th anniversary of the 68 Comeback Special. They had Elvises (Elvi?) from every period, including the military uniform.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Anything Boston Red Sox

I'd accept the worst of items (which appears to be Nazi items according to this thread) before I'd accept anything Boston Red Sox

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the display of Sox paraphernalia should be conditional -- if you weren't a fan before 2004, you shouldn't be permitted the privilege of displaying the regalia. If you remember 1972, 1974, 1978 or 1986 you should get to wear wound badges.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
No, they haven't stuffed any Country singers yet, most are "preserved" from the alcohol.
Did we have to bring Elvis into this?
He's not from my town but he died here, and he's still a resident.
It's sad the way he let himself go, but with the drugs he took to get going, then slow down, etc, he killed himself. Actually as a result of his use he developed a problem, and since that didn't "pass" he had a heart attack and died. Fell off his throne to be exact.
My FIL is a huge fan and I've debated on whether or not to get him a velvet painting, nicely done of course.
As for the impersonators. I go to a contest almost every year, dragged to it by my wife. The best DON'T play a fat Elvis, in fact they play a 50's version. A Canadian won a few years ago, his name was Gino.
Prior to that it was a guy from Belgium I believe, did 4 gospel tunes and was incredible.
I say I'd never have his memoribilia in my house but since my wife is a fan, I have no choice. LOL

Wow plenty of digs at my heroes, the country singers, in this thread lol

People always say my hair reminds them of Elvis, while we're on the subject. I always tell them, I've got 50's Elvis hair, and a 70's Elvis body!

No, they haven't stuffed any Country singers yet, most are "preserved" from the alcohol.
Did we have to bring Elvis into this?
He's not from my town but he died here, and he's still a resident.
It's sad the way he let himself go, but with the drugs he took to get going, then slow down, etc, he killed himself. Actually as a result of his use he developed a problem, and since that didn't "pass" he had a heart attack and died. Fell off his throne to be exact.
My FIL is a huge fan and I've debated on whether or not to get him a velvet painting, nicely done of course.
As for the impersonators. I go to a contest almost every year, dragged to it by my wife. The best DON'T play a fat Elvis, in fact they play a 50's version. A Canadian won a few years ago, his name was Gino.
Prior to that it was a guy from Belgium I believe, did 4 gospel tunes and was incredible.
I say I'd never have his memoribilia in my house but since my wife is a fan, I have no choice. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters