Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

I notice we have a lot of dislike of animal mounts here. I do have to ask, out of curiosity, did you grow up in town, those who don't like them? When I was a kid, and to this day, my dad had deer heads on the wall, and I have a couple of duck mounts in my house, never paid much mind to them.

AtomicEraTom said:
I notice we have a lot of dislike of animal mounts here. I do have to ask, out of curiosity, did you grow up in town, those who don't like them? When I was a kid, and to this day, my dad had deer heads on the wall, and I have a couple of duck mounts in my house, never paid much mind to them.

I grew up in the big city and never did any hunting but such a thing wouldn't bother me.

And to this day one can visit Binks at Bates on Jermyn Street:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorow/2830951906/in/photostream/

cat.jpg

I must say that Binks was quite a handsome creature.

Last edited:
Except for the fake animal heads on the wall at Disneyland in the Bear Jamboree, I didn't know anyone that had them until I moved to Santa Ynez as a teen, so it might be a city thing [huh]

That clip brings back fond memories of the Disneyland of the '70s and '80s that I remember. I seem to recall that there is or was a snack bar right near the Country Bears attraction that had the same heads on the wall. Even though I live a few miles from Disneyland, I haven't been there in 20 years. I pass by the place fairly often though. Think it's time for me to get an annual pass.

Last edited:

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I grew up in a small town. My grandfather hunted deer, ducks, moose, bear. My dad used to hunt deer also, but with a bow rather than a gun. My aunt learned to taxidermy and made a rack for two rifles/over-unders out of hooves/ankles of a deer for my grandpa once.
I'm not adamantly opposed to mounts, though I can't imagine I'd ever have one in my home. My biggest prejudice towards them are the association of mounts with the "Trophy Hunter" mentality where people go to far-flung corners of the globe to shoot something they have no intention of eating, just so they can say they went and shot it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I guess for me, it's that it seems to cheapen the dignity of the animal to put it on exhibition like that. I'd much rather see them alive and in the wild than mounted in somebody's living room. I have no trouble with hunting for sustenance, but trophy hunting strikes me as barbaric.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not adamantly opposed to mounts, though I can't imagine I'd ever have one in my home. My biggest prejudice towards them are the association of mounts with the "Trophy Hunter" mentality where people go to far-flung corners of the globe to shoot something they have no intention of eating, just so they can say they went and shot it.

Yes, that would be my instinctive feeling too. I can't understand the notion of taking pleasure in killing something for sport.

Justin B

One Too Many
Hmm..you've better eyes than me. I don't see anything that's not North American (Excepting the zebra print the gentleman on the right is sitting on).

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I expect when I go, they'll stuff me and put me out in front of the theatre holding a sign. Unless there's some ridiculous local ordinance against it.

Another forbidden item in my house: squirrels. We have a history.

Any squirrel who entered my house would be met by the four paws of the Apocalypse. My cat is not a fan.

We had a bunch of deer trophies on the walls when I grew up, from my great-grandfather. They weren't stuffed, they were just the antlers and skulls. They honestly never bothered me. It was just stuff.

Drappa

One Too Many
I guess for me, it's that it seems to cheapen the dignity of the animal to put it on exhibition like that. I'd much rather see them alive and in the wild than mounted in somebody's living room. I have no trouble with hunting for sustenance, but trophy hunting strikes me as barbaric.

:eusa_clap

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
I grew up in a family of rural subsistence hunters, and the whole concept of trophy hunting/trophy displays is really foreign to me. Plus I can't handle all the little beady eyes, staring at me, accusingly.

Who can find the monkey..? :cool:

Where's Waldo? :D

Though I do see Lizzie's "teddy bear" in the corner.

LizzieMaine said:
I was at our local antique/vintage marketplace today to pick up some linens, and when I turned a corner I was confronted by an enormous mounted black bear -- rearing up on a log with his nose wrinkled up and his mouth open. I suppose that's better than using his skin on the floor for a rug, but it's still a depressing sight to see.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Oh my gosh!
A few drinks, and a good thunderstorm with the lights out, and you have all the makings of a Hitchcock film!
I've never been a fan of the stuffed creatures, scares the "winnie the pooh" out of me, since he was mentioned earlier.
I have a previous dog cremated because she was very dear to me. But stuffed? I'd be afraid one of my current dogs would play with her, while the other one passed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran