Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Shirt - How is it worn?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I found this shirt at the thrift store a couple of days ago and bought it because I love the fabric (as well as the fact that it was in apparently unworn condition and cost $1.50 on half-price day). My knowledge of formal wear is minimal, but I think this is meant to be a formal shirt. How is a shirt like this worn - with what does one wear a shirt like this? What sort of tie?

HawesCurtis1shirt.jpg

HawesCurtis5label.jpg

The collar has a very wide spread and is quite tall - 2" neckband and 2 1/4" tall at the back.

HawesCurtis2collar.jpg

HawesCurtis3cuff.jpg

HawesCurtis4fabric.jpg

Another thing that I'm wondering about - the button holes are all vertical except for the one at the bottom which is horizontal. Is there a reason for that?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's a dress shirt with contrasting collar/cuffs meant to be worn with suits/blazer/sportcoats. The horizontal bottom buttonhole serves to lockthe placket, thus keeping the pattern matching

Lokar

A-List Customer
It can't be particularly formal as it's not white. There is no formal or even semi-formal dress code that allows for anything but a white shirt, preferably a dress shirt (that is, a pleated or boiled front shirt - I don't know what the American term is for this). I'd say it's just a somewhat singular normal shirt (that is, dress shirt for Americans. This is getting confusing...)

The Windsor knot is probably the only knot that would look appropriate in a collar that size, as mentioned. I don't feel that it's too formal a knot, however, although maybe on the other side of the pond things are different.

I don't personally have any advice to offer regarding what to wear it with, however, but Tomasso's suggestion to wear the shirt with a sports coat or blazer sounds appropriate to me.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, I most commonly see that style of shirt worn in the city as daywear, typically accompanied by a navy, two-piece pinstripe suit.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks to all for the opinions and wearing advice. While the consensus seems to be that this is a more casual sort of dress shirt than I thought, Prince Charles wore a very similar shirt with a grey morning suit to this year's Ascot Races. Of course, when one is a prince, I suppose one can wear whatever one bloody well pleases...

RoyalAscot2009Day1.jpg

RoyalAscot2009day2.jpg

Dan D

Familiar Face
According to Roetzel...

According to Roetzel's book 'Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion,' the contrasting collar and cuffs shirt evolved as a compromise in the nineteenth century between the white shirt worn by the idle rich, who did not need to soil their shirts with anything as mundane as 'work' - I paraphrase slightly here... - and the colourful shirt, which was suspected of being worn to hide a state of uncleanliness. The contrasting collar/cuffs that peeked beyond the jacket therefore signified the wearer was still above manual labour, but wanted to wear shirts that were colourful rather than white.

Oh to be independently wealthy... or at the very least, without a mortgage!

David V

A-List Customer
We are having a communication problem here.
The OP is asking about this shirt for which he is giving the British designation of a formal, meaning worn with suit and tie.

Some posters are replying that it is not formal in the American English definition. As meaning worn with Black Tie.

This is an American dress shirt( British formal)

From the length of the cuffs and height of the collar I place it in the 70's. I think I wore it in the 70's!!

A thick, Windsor knotted tie would work best, IMHO.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David V said:
The OP is asking about this shirt for which he is giving the British designation of a formal, meaning worn with suit and tie.

Some posters are replying that it is not formal in the American English definition. As meaning worn with Black Tie.

This is an American dress shirt( British formal)

From the length of the cuffs and height of the collar I place it in the 70's. I think I wore it in the 70's!!

A thick, Windsor knotted tie would work best, IMHO.

How dare you interrupt this nonsense with sensible discussion and great pointers...:eusa_doh:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
David V said:
I don't think so. Warbaby isn't British and since he's referenced
the POW's morning dress I believe he's using the American definition.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I wasn't aware of the difference between British and American definitions of formal. I referred to it as formal because that was the term Hawes & Curtis used to describe the style on their website - hence my confusion and the reason for my original post.

I wouldn't wear it with formal wear in the American context, but I think it's a nifty shirt that will look good with a suit or dressy jacket.

LordBest

Practically Family
Do you think so? I personally think he is the best dressed public figure of recent years.

Richard Warren said:
That fellow has all the money, prestige, etc. in the world, but he still looks utterly pathetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff