Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain pen problems

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought a new fine nib for my Cross Townsend fountain pen. It's been working fine, but I used up my last cartridge a week ago. I could get new cartirdges at the pen store in town (the only place in the vicinity that carries Cross here), but I didn't like how the Cross ink was bleeding on every paper I wrote on. So I decided to try using the converter and switching to a different brand.

I got a bottle of Parker ink, put my converter in the nib, and tried to fill it. But nothing I did worked. I could not get ink in, and it didn't seem like it was doing anything at all. I tried filling it with water, and that worked fine, I got it filled all the way, but the ink just wouldn't fill. Also, when pumping the converter, ink bubbles were popping out between the converter and barrel, which doesn't seem like it can be in any way good.

I filled the converter from the ink bottle to see if it would, and it did. But it leaked all over the inside of the pen (I put it in, wrote a few lines, and took it back out to see.) This is really frustrating, because if it's the nib then I've wasted 30 pounds I can't afford to waste. If it's just the converter, no big deal.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? What mystifies me the most is that it filled with water no problem, but would not suck the ink when pushed onto the nib.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
It sounds to me like there may be a problem in the way that the converter fits the pen, like it's leaving a gap. Did that converter come with the pen? I don't own any Cross fountain pens. Do they use a standard converter, or is it a proprietary one that only fits Cross pens?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Hmm. I took a look on the Cross website at their converters. It's hard to tell form their pictures but they do look proprietary. It may be a longshot, but if you have any standard converters (such as ones that fit standard cartridges), it's probably worth a try to see if one fits. If not, is it still under warranty? I can't think of anything that would cause your problems that would not be caused by some sort of defect in materials or workmanship. It may be nothing more than a stray piece of excess plastic on the barrell, but if you paid for the pen and the converter, they should fit one another.

Edited: And if their cartridges are proprietary, chances are that their converters are, too.

Sounds like a seating problem, if there is an 800 # call and see if you can order another converter or try a pen store on line for the Cross style. You can also try the fourmula 409 tricjk and rinse out the converter, nib & feed to insure the best flow. 3-4 parts cold water to one part 409 fill about 10 times then clear and rinse about 10 time with plain cold water, It will clean and also rid the new converter of any releasing agents that can interfere with the ink flow.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
. . . . if there is an 800 # call and see if you can order another converter or try a pen store on line for the Cross style.
As I happen to have their site up right now, here's their service number: 1-800-282-7677

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just cleaned it out again, and it seems that ink has found its way into the area of the converter above the plunger. I'm certainly no expert, but that sounds like a problem.

I don't have any 409 in the house at the moment, and I don't know if you can get it here, but I'll take a look next time I'm out.

Cheers
Nick

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Nick D said:
I just cleaned it out again, and it seems that ink has found its way into the area of the converter above the plunger. I'm certainly no expert, but that sounds like a problem.
Yeah, that's definitely a problem. I've never used the 409 trick, but I don't think it'll solve this problem. It's beginning to sound like you might have gotten hold of a misshapen converter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Just a wild thought, is the converter threaded on the end that goes into the nib? If so, then they packed the wrong converter with that pen (they have 2 types), which would explain why it doesn't work right. If not, you may just have a bad converter.

Either way, it may be covered under the warranty. Cross does have a very good warranty.

-Jake

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Riposte3 said:
Just a wild thought, is the converter threaded on the end that goes into the nib? If so, then they packed the wrong converter with that pen (they have 2 types), which would explain why it doesn't work right. If not, you may just have a bad converter.
I didn't realize that Cross had threaded converters. That sounds like a good idea. That could explain leakage between the nib and converter, but I don't think it explains the ink getting past the plunger.

French

Familiar Face
you can fill empty cartridges with a syringe

Hi,

You probably already know this, but you can use a syringe to fill empty cartridges with any ink you choose. Many people at http://www.fountainpennetwork.com have indicated they have just asked their veterinarians for a syringe and small diameter needle.

Other than that, I'd contact Cross. I don't have any Cross fountain pens, but have a small collection of other brands. None of mine have a threaded converter, but many use proprietary converters/cartridges.

If you can't get formula 409, one drop of diswashing soap (what you would use to wash dishes by hand, not what you put in the automatic dishwasher) to a 12 oz cup of water or 1 drop of household ammonia to some large dilution also seems to help.

French

panamag8or

Practically Family
Hmm... my vintage pens with ink bladders don't have this problem...:D

Seriously, contact Cross. They are good about their warrantee, and you might have gotten the wrong converter. I don't have a Townsend FP, but I do have a ball pen/pencil set, and they work great.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I went by the Pen Shop today (one of my favorite stores in Leeds!) and picked up a new converter. The girl there looked at my old one and spotted a crack I couldn't see. It may have gotten damaged when it was shipped over here, or maybe even before that, I've been on cartridges for a while so I wouldn't have noticed.

But my pen is now full, airtight, and writing fine with no bleeding or spidering on the page, so I'm happy with how it turned out! :)

Cheers,
Nick

tonyvan

New in Town
Something to be aware of -
Parker Ink contains 'Solv-X' - which aids in its flow.
Solv-X is actually copper-based, which is what gives it that slight sheen when it catches to light.
Anyway, according to my pen-man, he told me NOT to use Parker ink on a non-Parker pen (although I can't see how Parker get round it), because over time, the copper will leave a residue on the nib, and that will lead to blotches...
I now happily use Pelikan or Mont Blanc inks.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
That's interesting, tonyvan. I'd never heard that about copper in Parker inks. A few years ago (probably ~10), Parker was making an ink called Parker Penman Ink. I haven't seen it in years, so I assume that they've quit making it. Anyway, my wife has a Pelikan that was pretty badly clogged up. All she'd ever used in it was Pelikan ink. Someone told us that the Penman had "detergents" in it to prevent clogging, and so she filled the Pelikan with Penman and the clogging cleared right up. I don't recall ever using any other Parker inks (like Quink), but the Penman was fantastic. And because of the clogging problem that my wife had, I don't use Pelikan. Never tried Mont Blanc, though.

New or Old

BALKY FOUNTAIN PENS? FORMULA 409 TRICK!

Have you ever had a new fountain pen that just won't write well? You’ve filled it with your favorite ink and it skips or won't write at all. Well friend, the culprit may be releasing agents, grease or oils left over from manufacturing that is interfering with the delivery of ink.

Stylofiles magazine gave this pointer, which they do on every fountain pen before testing it for their article. But use caution, you may damage a pen if the chemicals attack a part, so no long term soaking! Bare aluminum is most susceptible to chemical damage of the metals but even steel will corrode if left soaking in chemically laden water. Celluloid is fairly strong but damage is possible if left in soaking too long. Casein should neither be soaked nor have any chemicals applied to it, it’s very susceptible to damage. The caveat: Do NOT DAMAGE YOUR PENS! We are not responsible for any damages to pens!

VERSION ONE
Take regular Formula 409 and a small glass like a cordial or shot glass. Spray some 409 in the glass and mix with 3 to 4 parts of COLD water. Dip the nib and feed in the mixture then fill and flush the converter or filling system with the mixture for 1 or 2 minutes. Then replace the mixture with plain COLD water and flush for a minute replace water and flush repeat replacing and flushing again and again for a couple more minutes so no trace of the Formula 409 remains. Then fill with new, clean ink. The writing should be much improved if the oil or grease was the culprit. Be sure to empty the pen of all ink first then flush with plain water before using the cleaning mixture. Always use COLD water as warm or hot can damage the feed!

VERSION TWO
This is supposed to work on both new and older pens that are
presenting a skipping on no flow challenge. Stylus Magazine and some pen aficionados contend that both Formula 409 and Simple Green are too harsh to use on pens. Their alternate flusher and cleaner is a solution you can easily mix up. Mix 1 Tablespoon of Clear Household Ammonia to 2/3rds cup of Cold Water. Flush with this mixture and then flush thoroughly with PLAIN cold water to remove any residue as listed above for version one.

Flushing with clean water between refills always helps as well as not letting the ink dry inside the pen before using again.

Fred at the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia California has a pen flush solution that works well on clogged pens. (Fred's Super Sauce remember Super Chicken?) Also those that can be diassembled, the nib and feed can go thru the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, but the feeds some times need to be cleaned by hand with a slim piece of metal like the back of an exacto knife blade too.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks for the tip, John in Covina. I've seen where you've posted it elsewhere, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out. I do, however, have one pen that I might try it on. Most of the troubles that I have with my pens, which really isn't much is simply a result of letting them sit too long with ink in them. When one dries out, I find that they usually respond fairly well to simply soaking the nib in tap water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy