Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pens, Pocket Watches, Pipes

fountwriter

New in Town
I find myself drawn to old writing instruments, and time pieces. A nice pen and watch are the perfect accessories to go with a vest.

I also enjoy sitting down to write or read a good book while smoking a fine tobacco in one of my pipes. There is a certain ritual to drawing ink from a bottle or loading a bowl of tobacco that really takes me back in time.

Anyone else have an interest/love in these once ubiquitous manly accessories?

Adam

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Welcome

I used to like pipe smoking, I had some fine Meerschaums, Briars, some Clays that I never used, and a few Corn Cobs. My favorites were the Corn Cobs, for some reason they smoked cooler, or maybe it was just my Hillbilly roots. My favorite tobbacco was a Virginia Burl. I gave up smoking years ago. As for pens, I'm just too messy and clumsy. I've heretofore never been much of a Watch guy, but have to say that I just won a few on Ebay, time will tell, so to speak.

D

Deleted member 259

I'm no longer a smoker, and I'd look a little silly with a pipe, but a friend of mine had one that really tempted me.
He said it was made from clay pulled from the bottom of some ocean, and it had to be shaped within a half an hour of being pulled, because it hardened so fast. It was beautifully carved and very smooth, i wish I knew more about it.

As for pens, I'm a bit of a writer (If stacks of notebooks and only 2 published works makes one a writer) And I love the look and feel that you can only get from fluid ink.
cheap ballpoint pens work during class, when i need to take quick notes, but something finer is required for my personal works.

Oh, and Welcome to the Lounge!

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
as a smoker I love my pipe....I smoke Cigs, Pipe, Cigars, and whenever possible a hooka (tobacco folks)......a nice tabacco with a pipe is a great way to relax on the back of the boat on a summers evenning......most of my good pocket watches have died a horrible death but I hope to start getting more.....carying a pocket watch in my earlier roudier days probibly wasn't the best idea.......

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I tried smoking a hooka...

about a year or so ago a friend of mine of middle eastern desent turned me on. We smoked some kinda flavored apple concoction, kind of syrupy. Any way it was not at all unenjoyable.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have used a fountain pen for the past 30 or more years, not just for special occasions, but for everyday use at home and at work. I've gone through a number of regular ("cheep") pens and three good pens. I find it interesting that so many people apparently have absolutely no idea how to write with a fountain pen. Occasionally at work someone will ask "can I borrow your pen", then will fumble with it trying to write. I remember one time one of the division directors needing to sign something and I was sitting at the table next to them, he didn't have a pen with him and asked to use mine. When I handed it to him he looked at it in an odd sort of way, then tried to write with it with the nib turned upside down. Of course little or no ink came out, so he then shook the pen. Naturally, upon giving a fountain pen a violent shake, a big blob or two of ink came out and splattered on his paper. He glared over at me like I'd done something wrong, to which I shrugged my shoulders and said "I didn't realize you needed instructions on how to use an ink pen."

On the subject of borrowing pens, my father-in-law shared a good practice with me on folks asking to borrow your pen. How many times have folks asked to borrow a pen or pencil, only to use it and stick it in their pocket (by habit and in no way intentionally trying to take your pen)? Well, there is a sure-fire way to make that not happen with your good fountain pen. Should someone ask to borrow your pen, just hand it to them and you keep the top. Then, should they stick it in their pocket (sans-top) by mistake, they will be quickly reminded of the error of their ways :)

fountwriter

New in Town
Zach R. said:
I'd love to get some vintage or even modern fountain pens, is there anything in particular I should watch out for or are there any buying tips?

Piston fillers are the best and most period correct in my opinion. They can be a bit expensive, but Pelikan has a few cheaper piston fillers that are quite "in period". And they have been in the bidness since the 1890's, so their pens have not changed too, too much over the years.

Many of the modern brands are more for looks than use, but there are many companies producing very nice and functional pens at a moderate price (moderate is relative!!!). Anything in the below $50 range is hit or miss, but above that most pens are pretty consistant.

My only real tip is don't go with a cartridge pen, that started to come in around the 60's and is a real hassle buying cartridges constantly. bottled inks have much more bang for your buck.

I hope this helps!!!

Adam

fountwriter

New in Town
Big Man said:
I have used a fountain pen for the past 30 or more years, not just for special occasions, but for everyday use at home and at work........Should someone ask to borrow your pen, just hand it to them and you keep the top. Then, should they stick it in their pocket (sans-top) by mistake, they will be quickly reminded of the error of their ways :)

:) I'm a daily user too!!! I teach ina private school where boys still wear suits and all that, but as soon as i pull out my pen they look at me like i stepped out of an H. G. Wells novel. It is also great fun when I use my "grading pen" which i have loaded up with a great murder red called "Widow Maker".

And as far as your advice, Thanks for the new trick. :)

Adam

fountwriter

New in Town
carpecaligo said:
He said it was made from clay pulled from the bottom of some ocean, and it had to be shaped within a half an hour of being pulled, because it hardened so fast. It was beautifully carved and very smooth, i wish I knew more about it.

Your talking about Meerschaums. Some of those are quite nice and others are ;) umm.... ;) well.....quite naughty :cool2: !!!!

Look around if you are of consenting age ;)

Adam

D

Deleted member 259

I searched via google images for them, and wow - they are fantastic.
A little scandalous, but I wouldn't mind owning one of those.

Still, pipe smoking isn't quite a ladies recreation, i'll stick with my Nat Shermans and Occasional Hookah Bar.

zeus36

A-List Customer
Well, two out of three....

Only have one pocket watch, a 1923 Elgin Hunter case that was my grandfather's. But I have lots of Estate pipes and lots of fountain pens!
Way too much to list, but my
favorite pipe(s) is a 30's large straight billard double set by by Sidney P. Ram in Los Angeles.

Favorite fountain pen is a late '20's Conklin Endura Senior in celluloid.

sounds like a good photo op.

El Jefe

New in Town
I have a really good friend (although we haven't seen each other for many years, since I left home), who's studied calligraphy quite extensively.
He always carries an ink pen, and refuses to let anyone else use it, on the grounds that anyone else's writing will "duress his nib".
I have no response to that.

Gee, don't tell my insurance company but I have a few pipes as well. This evening it was the old Shelton "Rustic Briar" with Argosy Black as a Tobacco. I also like Field and Stream. Some others from grandpas time are Briggs, Barking Dog, Country Doctor, Bourbon Street, Mapleton and Revelation---not in any particualr order of preference. I still have to get an Edward G. Robinson but those are a good selection for now. ;)
I tend to like the aromatics but some of those are not considered as such. I am not that hot on Perique tobaccos though. It gives me what a friend calls "the spins." :p
I have a few fountain pens but my everyday carry is a MontBlanc Solitare silver. It just makes it easier to pull out and get going. ;)
I have been collecting pocketwatches since my grandmother gave me my grandfather's pocketwatch from when he was ten years old. It didn't work but I had it fixed. The story was that grandpa had to raise a calf to maturity to get the $10 gold piece that it cost for the watch. Ever since then I've just kept collecting them and family members gave me theirs. I must have just about one of every make there is by now. :p

Regards to all,

J

Zach R.

Practically Family
The only pocketwatch I have is a relatively cheap NOS 1953 Westclox Scotty that I recently acquired from Ebay, I need to find a nice chain to go with it now though.

I'll have to hit up the relatives and see if they want to unload their old pocket watches and other Golden-era "junk" on me too.

Zach R. said:
I'll have to hit up the relatives and see if they want to unload their old pocket watches and other Golden-era "junk" on me too.

That is a better source than many realize. I am sure some relative has some "junk" stuffed away that they do not have the heart to throw away but they will give it to someone who will enjoy it and fix it up. That is how I got Grandpa's---although my uncle got his solid gold one that actually worked. :p

Regards to all,

J

fountwriter

New in Town
zeus36 said:
Favorite fountain pen is a late '20's Conklin Endura Senior in celluloid.

What a fine collection of accessories you have! I love the Conklin. I am a big Conklin fan, especially the Endura's and the Nozac's.

As for pipes, I go mostly for bent shapes. Billiards seem to get in my way when I'm trying to read ;) .

Adam

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I have been on a 30-year quest for the prefect pipe tobacco.
I have about 50 pipes in my collection; all but two are bents.
I have a simple rule that I live by…
“I never smoke when asleep…and never refrain when awake�
Regards,
Forrestal

Forrestal said:
I have been on a 30-year quest for the prefect pipe tobacco.
I have about 50 pipes in my collection; all but two are bents.
I have a simple rule that I live by…
“I never smoke when asleep…and never refrain when awake�

Try the Argosy Black if you haven't tried it before. The others are ok in varying degress as well. I am sort of partial to Turkish tobacco. It is a mild tobacco with a taste that is not overpowering but then I have simple tastes. ;)

Regards to all,

J

zeus36

A-List Customer
fountwriter said:
... Billiards seem to get in my way when I'm trying to read ;) .

Adam

I agree, I smoke mostly bents while doing side activities, Canadians while driving, Calabash meerschaums and full meerschaums while relaxing, and Freehand briars in social settings (if allowed) Those massive billiards pictured above are too large to engage in anything else while smoking! I've thinned my collection down to around 50-60 pipes, some relegated to the office.
I should get around to indexing them by manufacturer.... they're mostly mid to high end, around half are estate.

While looking over my fountain pen collection (didn't count 'em) I noticed I had a large number of Parker 51 units. Great writers, very precision, but very modern pens. They were the pinacle of fountain pen evolution until the ballpoint almost wiped out the industry. Found a few Parker 21s and 61s as well. Gotta tell you the smoothest, slickest writing FP I’ve tried is a Sheaffer Targa. Totally non-vintage, however. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy