Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freddies 'Johnny Hat' review

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I love those old Harley riders caps. So I was rather pleased to find Freddies of Pinewood selling replicas of the iconic hat that Marlon Brando wore in The Wild One.

I saw these at the War and Peace show a couple of years back, bought one, yes I tried it on but they did not have a mirror at that time.
£50 for this hat is to say it is a little over the top :( When I tried it on in front of a mirror at home the hat had no real substance. This may have been due to the liner being too small but also no reinforcement as the Harley Davidson caps have.
Crown is made from cotton, peak is a shiny plastic edged correctly, sweat bad is synthetic leather look.
I have spent ages pulling the crown cover into shape but it will not stay like this for long. In the pictures I have added a wire loop as found in old service caps but the hat will still not retain a decent shape for long.
Here are a few pics.

Brando's hat in 'The Wild One does not appear to be a Harley Davidson cap but more reminiscent of a California Highway patrol cap from the era.

Placed directly on head:-
DSC_0207_zpsin9nwrva.jpg

After a little pulling into shape:-
DSC_0202_zps5xmb5bgl.jpg

The side view is not bad and resembles old US Police forces crush caps:-
DSC_0204_zpsctuszp8k.jpg

Not the greatest pics but the best I could do.

So to sum it up:
The metal band is cheap looking, the crown cover sags and in no way resembles the cap as featured in the film. If I had bought it on eBay I would ask for a refund.
Good on Freddies for attempting this at a reasonable cost and it is reasonably well made, but please assess and maybe a re design is in order as I would have paid more for something better.

Seeya, J

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Too bad I want one of these but this version looks too small in every way. Looks like a different fabric as well.

tumblr_m2wicypck91qa70eyo1_5002.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamond Dave does a cap that's somewhere between the Brando hat and the one worn by Lenin. I've always had a hankering for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt