Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Catalog Scans: Belle Jardiniere

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Au Bon Marché Hivier (Winter) 1933/34 Menswear

aubonmarche1934003.jpg

aubonmarche1934004.jpg

aubonmarche1934005.jpg

aubonmarche1934006.jpg

aubonmarche1934007.jpg

aubonmarche1934008.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Brilliant stuff.

I wonder about the title though... was this a kind of "semi-official" guideline to tailors published by a "fashion institute" of sorts?

Flat Foot Floey

Figure 10 is a good inspiration for what one can do with odd striped suit trousers.
Yes, it really works as long as the color contrast is still there.

TT & Metatron: They look great, don't they? Typical for the 1930s but also very french.
Brilliant stuff.

I wonder about the title though... was this a kind of "semi-official" guideline to tailors published by a "fashion institute" of sorts?
Hmm I think they are more like a "look book" and tailors could buy the pictures for advertising. Of course not every tailor had an own illustrator at hand, right?

This is on the first page after the cover:

kb31.jpg

[high school modern languages class, you were NOT in vain!!]

That page is an exhortation to the benefits of advertising ("you know the benefits of advertising" etc.) and showing customers the available models, and selling copies of the 16-page booklet to tailors that their customers could take away, or to be used as local mailshots for the tailor (see below).

For example the 1 pour hommes is 160 Francs for the first 100, and 120 Francs for each subsequent 100 copies.

2 pour hommes is showing the prices for 100 booklets with the tailor's company name and address printed in it.

3 is for the women's supplement.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Thanks for the translation. I figured the same. Other than a catalog this pictures are meant as inspiration for a style. The tailor still has to adapt them for his customers. So "mismatched" outfits were really planned and fashionable not only a result of orphaned jackets.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
But what about the "officielle" in the title?
Was the publisher affiliated with the French state?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points