Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Catalog Scans: Belle Jardiniere

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Yes, that's always interested me. I just can't imagine that even France, with their obsession with officialdom (proscribed baby names, Académie Francaise, etc), would have a government-approved range of fashions.

In my Swedish catalog the prices of items were price moderated by the state, something related to the war.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ccnt.jpg

tpz5.jpg

trvk.jpg

sktw.jpg

nq9s.jpg

skzt.jpg

mjyi.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for another round of great French illustrations.
Note lapelless sportcoat No.16 and an interesting DB notch-lapel hunting jacket No.21. Looks like a blend of a sportcoat with a short Ulster.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice! I especially like the page showing the different styles of fronts.
Yes. The lapels are wide but not cartoonish. Some members here were concerned about their MTM suits looking 70s ...maybe they can use these pictures.

Thanks for another round of great French illustrations.
Note lapelless sportcoat No.16 and an interesting DB notch-lapel hunting jacket No.21. Looks like a blend of a sportcoat with a short Ulster.
I really overlooked that 21 is DB...interesting.

Oh those crazy Continentals with their miniature pipes. The real foundation of the second world war, of course: Meerschaumchen Rauchensraum, the German desire to dominate the European diminutive smoking paraphernalia market. Not to mention the historic abuse of the German novelty shirt collar market, which only heaped fuel on the fire.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
May tobacco explain their drive towards the Balkans and Eastern Mediterranean then?

Oh those crazy Continentals with their miniature pipes.

I am amused by the lack of imagination of some illustrators. They couldn't come up with a more lively pose to present men's fashion other than smoking, holding a smoke, lighting a smoke or holding gloves, canes or umbrellas? :D

These look books could well have doubled as tobacco ads.

Last edited:
Especially the French ones. Burton's catalogue illustrations are often labelled "Drawn/painted from Life" suggesting that men really were constantly, but constantly, smoking, or preparing to smoke, or thinking/dreaming about smoking.

p.s. according to latest research, the German drive to the south and east was entirely due to Greek partisan slanders about a particular brand and model of German sports shirt, in 1938 officially adopted as official Party lounge wear for Berchtesgaden jaunts. Leaked/smuggled photographs of Fatty Göring changing his collar for a game of tennis (miniature pipe of course daintily balanced on end of thumb) was lampooned around the world, but particularly in Greece and Jugoslavia where a performance by a local music hall comedian became the hit of the 1938 Christmas season. No comment was made about the tiny pipes featured in the advertisements, knowing as the Greeks did the attachment of the hierarchy to the manly and Übermensch-designed mini-pipes, and fearing for their own tiny pipe manufactories which would be helpless against the onslaught of the behemoth that was the German Meerschaumchen industry.

Last edited:

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
p.s. according to latest research, the German drive to the south and east was entirely due to Greek partisan slanders about a particular brand and model of German sports shirt, in 1938 officially adopted as official Party lounge wear for Berchtesgaden jaunts. Leaked/smuggled photographs of Fatty Göring changing his collar for a game of tennis (miniature pipe of course daintily balanced on end of thumb) was lampooned around the world, but particularly in Greece and Jugoslavia where a performance by a local music hall comedian became the hit of the 1938 Christmas season. No comment was made about the tiny pipes featured in the advertisements, knowing as the Greeks did the attachment of the hierarchy to the manly and Übermensch-designed mini-pipes, and fearing for their own tiny pipe manufactories which would be helpless against the onslaught of the behemoth that was the German Meerschaumchen industry.

This reads like a paragraph out of Thomas Pynchon's epic weird alternative history of the 20th century, Against the Day

You should see my shirt advertising copy! (patent pending)

I don't know that Pynchon (also not a great fan) but will seek it out. My ramblings remind me most of Edward Whittemore's reimagining of the writing of the Old Testament - a blind and illiterate scribe being dictated to by a visionary, epileptic lunatic by the side of a road somewhere in the desert. It certainly reads that way!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko