Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Second homburg or diplomatique made in France arrived in the past days.
Gelot 2.jpg

Quite rare to find a Gelot, even less so of this color. Dark gray with blue highlights.
Gelot 5.jpg
The shape is the classic one of the "normal shaped" homburgs. Size 58 centimeters or 7 1/4 in the US.
Gelot 3a.jpg
The curled brims are 5 centimeters long, the ribbon, the same color as the felt, is 4 centimeters high and the crown, completely open is 13 centimeters.
Gelot interno.jpg
The inside reminds me that the hat is almost a hundred years old and is perfect, a little less so on the outside where there are small imperfections that can easily be resolved.
Gelot 7.jpg
The question is which hat manufacturer made this Gelot?
Gelot 8a.jpg
No information at inside the sweatban and the mystery continues....

Second homburg or diplomatique made in France arrived in the past days.
View attachment 605605
Quite rare to find a Gelot, even less so of this color. Dark gray with blue highlights.
View attachment 605606
The shape is the classic one of the "normal shaped" homburgs. Size 58 centimeters or 7 1/4 in the US.
View attachment 605607
The curled brims are 5 centimeters long, the ribbon, the same color as the felt, is 4 centimeters high and the crown, completely open is 13 centimeters.
View attachment 605608
The inside reminds me that the hat is almost a hundred years old and is perfect, a little less so on the outside where there are small imperfections that can easily be resolved.
View attachment 605609
The question is which hat manufacturer made this Gelot?
View attachment 605610
No information at inside the sweatban and the mystery continues....
That is an outstanding beauty of a hat! Great find, Daniele.

batankyu

New in Town
Hi, I purchased this short brim "Motsch Fils" black fedora at a garage sale for 5 euro along Prado beach in Marseille on Sunday 20 April 2024. I wondered if there was any chance to put some date range on it.

All I know is that Etienne Motsch founded his hat shop in Paris in 1887 and that Hermes bought the shop in 1991. Obviously some son must have taken the succession of his father at some point in the century since the hat is a "Motsch Fils" (Motsch Son) but I have no clue when.

The sweatband is black says "PUR LIÈVRE" (pure hare) on the front and "Motsch Fils - Paris" on the right side. The same label on the black inner lining has worn off and is mostly unreadable now. The ribbon is in the same felt material as the hat, without bow. There's a tag hidden behind the sweatband at the back: it is serrated with 3 cells: the widest one on the left says "135 noir" (black), the middle one says "REF. 98568", the most norrow on the right says "ENTRÉE 5" and maybe "10".

Pictures of the hat on imgur

Front view.

coyyfFc.jpeg

Rear view.

orOzRlV.jpeg

Left side view.

BsywkWK.jpeg

Right side view.

A95X3ID.jpeg

Top view.

dITYaQR.jpeg

Bottom view.

jk8RzZL.jpeg

Sweatband, Front view.

fVXJquj.jpeg

Sweatband, right side view.

OVGsDe6.jpeg

Inner lining.

vX7gM6O.jpeg

Tag behind back of sweatband.
SN4Oftw.jpeg

APFd4aE.jpeg

Owner.

Last edited:
Hi, I purchased this short brim "Motsch Fils" black fedora at a garage sale for 5 euro along Prado beach in Marseille on Sunday 20 April 2024. I wondered if there was any chance to put some date range on it.

All I know is that Etienne Motsch founded his hat shop in Paris in 1887 and that Hermes bought the shop in 1991. Obviously some son must have taken the succession of his father at some point in the century since the hat is a "Motsch Fils" (Motsch Son) but I have no clue when.

The sweatband is black says "PUR LIÈVRE" (pure hare) on the front and "Motsch Fils - Paris" on the right side. The same label on the black inner lining has worn off and is mostly unreadable now. The ribbon is in the same felt material as the hat, without bow. There's a tag hidden behind the sweatband at the back: it is serrated with 3 cells: the widest one on the left says "135 noir" (black), the middle one says "REF. 98568", the most norrow on the right says "ENTRÉE 5" and maybe "10".

Pictures of the hat on imgur

Front view.

coyyfFc.jpeg

Rear view.

orOzRlV.jpeg

Left side view.

BsywkWK.jpeg

Right side view.

A95X3ID.jpeg

Top view.

dITYaQR.jpeg

Bottom view.

jk8RzZL.jpeg

Sweatband, Front view.

fVXJquj.jpeg

Sweatband, right side view.

OVGsDe6.jpeg

Inner lining.

vX7gM6O.jpeg

SN4Oftw.jpeg

APFd4aE.jpeg

Owner.
Cool find and for the price you cannot go wrong. The style suggests it's mid sixties to mid seventies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner