Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frye Boots

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hey Gang,

Wondering if we could start a Frye thread. I'm currently awaiting a pair of Rogan Hikers. I like many of their boots and would like to see others' thoughts... Very fond of the Dakota series- both the wedge and lug sole. At least their look- which is really vintage-inspired to me.

One note though is that at first I thought all Frye boots were made in the US but have since discovered while reading other threads here and reviews on Amazon that some are made in Mexico. To include the Rogan. I don't have a real problem with that as long as the quality is good. They were on sale on Amazon for $178 so took the plunge!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ABO3RO/ref=oss_product

Anyways... Lets start posting info, reviews, criticisms, images, whatever in regards the Frey boots in one thread.

Mods- perhaps there's an interest in a sub-forum where prominent/popular/controversials brands can be discussed specifically in hopes of objectively spreading the good or bad of the brand...? Everyone here has varied incomes, standards and ideals of what is "good" and what constitutes a good product. And true to our excellent community, I think the content would be fair and logical and thus help folks weigh the merits of things they buy based on price versus quailty or any combination.

Clint

Last edited:

drummer4hire

New in Town
I am intersted in this as well, though it would seem not many are. Have you worn the Rogans on the trail at all? I am looking for new hiking/backpacking boots and have been considering these. The thing is I am having a tough time finding reviews that actually find these boots in the field, and not how they stand up to the pub-crawl. Any thoughts?

kyboots

Practically Family
Bought my first pair of Frye boots 1968 which was the first version of the harness boots. 14 inches tall brown with square toes, I loved these boots and wore them all through college. Talk about the looks but this was a time to be different and I certainly was! They were great. I bought at least every style after that they made. Didn't eat but I had the greatest boots!---John

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think frye boots are a very good quality made product. I have owned what is now called their "campus" boots, which are the square toed high boots like the harness boots they also make, (minus the harness). As many people wore the boots at one time, it was considered top shelf fashion at the time period, as made mention already during the 1960's, and are still popular today. If I am not mistaken, the square toe pull on boots they call "campus" boots now, are made from the design of original boots from many years ago when frye first started making boots, perhaps in the late 1800's? I no longer own a pair now, but sure would enjoy having a new pair of them.

One thing I always liked about the frye brand, they did not get "stingy" with the thickness of the soles of their boots, which did help the boots last longer. I also like the "look" of a thick healthy sole.

I have also owned one pair of frye cowboy boots, owned them for about 14 years and just recently sold them on eBay as they still looked nearly new after all the years I wore them. They just were too small to fit, my foot got big with age! lol!

I have not owned any lace up boots or shoes that frye makes, they do currently have some models of wingtips that appear to have some good quality to them. I would imagine that frye will continue to sell a fairly decent quality shoe or boot as they always have, and would be very interested in the lace up boots reviews from anyone that owns them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner