Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS HH A-2 JUST ARRIVED!

KENNYW

Familiar Face
Well I just got my Gibson&Barnes historical horsehide A-2 and it fit's perfect!
The quality of this jacket is second to none IMHO.This is jacket number two,my other is a US Authentic A-2 goat,nice jacket but doesn't fit me like the G&B.I'm 5'11" 220lbs. 40"waist size 44r.My next A-2 will be a Aero.Can you guy's give me some feedback on what model I should get and what size.I'm very happy to have found this thread.:eusa_clap :p

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey KENNYW,
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new A-2 jacket. I've been thinking of getting another myself and perhaps should reconsider Gibson & Barnes. I've heard their leather has a really uniform grain. Do you have any photos of your new jacket to post?

jml90

One of the Regulars
I like the A-2 but prefer the Indy style because of the plain cuffs. I think the knit cuffs fell constricting

KENNYW

Familiar Face
Mike K. said:
Hey KENNYW,
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new A-2 jacket. I've been thinking of getting another myself and perhaps should reconsider Gibson & Barnes. I've heard their leather has a really uniform grain. Do you have any photos of your new jacket to post?
Hi Mike K,
I will try to put some pics up this weekend (I might need some help with that).[huh]

bfrench

Familiar Face
FS A-2 pics

KENNYW said:
Hi Mike K,
I will try to put some pics up this weekend (I might need some help with that).[huh]

Hi, Kenny,

I've got a pic post ing faq at the VLJ forum pronlems/ questions that will help post pics here or there.

I'd really appreciate see how the jacket fits you - I'm about the same size and have a size 46 on order - and I'm wondering if it isn't a little large.

Bill French

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey Kenny,
All that's needed to post pics is an account someplace like http://photobucket.com/
Just transfer the images from your computer to the website, then cut & paste the URL into the Fedora Lounge thread.

Those Aero real deal jackets have some pretty amazing leather. I prefer their chocolate jerky horsehide, but unfortunately it was discontinued awhile back. I've got one of their steerhide A-2s that I need to get photos of.
-Mike

KENNYW

Familiar Face
My new A-2

100_0088.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice one Kenny on the A-2

These guys are getting quite a bit of approval and credence off the A2 crowd, and that's saying something against the big hitters like Eastman, Rickson, McCoy and Aero.
As my American cousins might say, "more bang for your buck Paddy." Flight Suits /Gibson-Barnes have been getting quite a bit of positive feedback and to be honest Kenny, the A-2 looks good on you.

You obviously like your hide smooth and uniform, as many A2 lovers do (whereas I'm more of a jerky/grainy sort of guy on the hide front). Horses for courses, so to speak (we're all different in our tastes).

If you think you like the hide in this jacket, if/when you plummet for an Aero, the leather will blow your mind away (and hold me to that!).

As you've gone for an early war dark brown colouring on your GB A-2, why not go for a nice russet horse in the Aero. And if you want to really live dangerously, go for jerky (or a mix of smooth and jerky, by asking for a REAL DEAL). The AERO models run shorter in the body to the BRONCO, and I prefer the shorter body. Just looks neater and in my mind, more military in cut. If you like a squared/boxy look to the shoulder line, then a 1938 pre-war would be ideal! and if you felt game, you could have a dark red silk lining to it, rather than the standard mustard cotton lining.
As for knits, well you could go for red rust, berry (dark brown) or caramel. My choice? berry. But then, what do I know!! It's fun choosing Kenny, so enjoy it.

I'm sure Robert won't mind me showing you his...
Robert38aerofront.jpg

Also nice to see another male member of the Lounge sporting a true masculine gentleman's hair cut. You're a member of an elite team here Kenny!

The baseball cap with the AAF insignia to the front looks well and sets you off nicely for the early airshows coming up in the US.

Wear the jacket in good health and enjoy!

Baggers

Practically Family
I can attest to the smoothness of G&B's horsehide when new, but after a bit of wearing it will start developing some character. One piece of my right sleeve developed a definite jerkiness after a bit of use, while the jacket as a whole began displaying definite grain. They're smooth as a baby's bum out of the box, but give it some time and that will change!

Cheers!

bfrench

Familiar Face
KENNYW said:
Well I just got my Gibson&Barnes historical horsehide A-2 and it fit's perfect!
The quality of this jacket is second to none IMHO.This is jacket number two,my other is a US Authentic A-2 goat,nice jacket but doesn't fit me like the G&B.I'm 5'11" 220lbs. 40"waist size 44r.My next A-2 will be a Aero.Can you guy's give me some feedback on what model I should get and what size.I'm very happy to have found this thread.:eusa_clap :p

Hi, Kenny,

Very nice pics and glad you got the hang of posting them.

As to the Aero - in all due respect to our fellow posters - I'd recommend sticking with Flight Suits (Gibson & Barnes).

The reason being is that the Aero are a trimmer style more along the lines of what would have been issued in the 40's whereas FS is a little fuller.

Looking at your pics I see a very close resemblence to me in body style and the Aero just wouldn't look right on me. Too tight across the waist.

For your next jacket I'd recommend FS Mark 31 A-2 in the russet goatskin - If you ask Dave Marshal at FS - They'll try and accomodate with gnarly goat. I have one and it is like a second skin.

BTW - My A-2 on order is a mahogany like yours and should be delivered by the end of the month.

Here's a pic of your 44 and my 46.

Looks as if I'm almost due for the same style haircut as you have - ;)

KennyWandBillRearComposite.jpg

Bill French

JWG

Familiar Face
Kenny, nice mahogany shade. I see you got the collarstand. I have one too with olive thread---the color resembles the chocolately colored Rough Wears!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Nice horse,.....

......now just wear that baby 24 - 7 and break it out of the slick new look it has. Wear it to bed, wear it in the shower, wear it while crawling around under your car changing the oil,.... that's an order! lol

But seriously, nice jacket. :) Congratulations. :cheers1:

KENNYW

Familiar Face
JWG said:
Kenny, nice mahogany shade. I see you got the collarstand. I have one too with olive thread---the color resembles the chocolately colored Rough Wears!
How can you tell I got the collar stand?I'm impressed!:eusa_clap

KENNYW

Familiar Face
Thanks for all your opinions and input gentlemen!
Bill the jacket looks great in russet!
Paddy,I've seen alot of your pics,looks like you stepped right out of WWII,great jacket's!I really do like the Aero but,I would probably need a custom for a good fit,I'm thinking about it!:eusa_doh:

JWG

Familiar Face
As I said, I have a Mark 41 in mahagony with OD thread---I know it's not a stitch for stitch replication---but it resembles a Rough Wear 27752 on me at least.

I was never a goatskin fan, but have become one since owning their Mark 31 in russet goatskin. Very authentic feel and color.

Round your FS collection off with their M422A, which in many ways is their best repro in my honest opinion!

Mike K.

One Too Many
That jacket looks pretty darn good Kenny! A nice choice indeed. I've acquired a decent collection of leather samples from the A-2 makers (helps in making the next choice of jacket to purchase). The mahogany horsehide from Flightsuits is a very close match to the leather used on my original A-11 leather flying helmet. As said by others...now just go out and wear it well.

BTW - I second Paddy's statement about the decent haircut, but perhaps that's just because the Air Force never fully left my blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou