Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS; Vanson Mercury and Comet PLU-3

msrtex

New in Town
As this is my first post, let me introduce myself. I have been reading the forum for about 2 years now. I found it out of chance and have enjoyed reading. In a search for the perfect motorcycle jacket to replace my Vanson Mercury I came across the link about the Vanson/Thurston Bros Comet/PLU-3. I loved the Mercury but always wished it was a tad longer and will probably custom order one. For now the two are for sale.

Vanson PLU-3 (Comet Café Racer)

(From Thurston Bros. site), “The Vanson Comet PLU-3 Cafe' Racer takes the Vanson cafe' racer and brings it back to its 1960s roots, employing nickel hardware, a longer body, and a tough-as-nails number 10 double-ended zipper. The jacket is made of Vanson's premium competition weight cowhide and is built for performance, looks, and longevity. An inside wallet pocket is standard on every Comet PLU-3 Cafe' Racer and the jacket comes equipped with snaps for Vanson's Streamliner Vest if one wants added warmth and protection from the elements. This jacket is custom-made by Vanson exclusively for Thurston Bros. The Comet PLU-3 is based on the original Vanson Comet cafe' racer jacket, but it has three extra inches of body length and a double-ended front zipper to accommodate a comfortable riding position. The Vanson PLU-3 Cafe' Racer fits true to size.” This jacket is in new condition as I have only worn it around the neighborhood a few times and it has never dropped, crashed, torn, or worn in the rain. Size 44. Selling it just after I bought it because it is just not my style. I bought it to replace the Mercury I wore for 5 years but just don’t like the different cut. I paid $599.99 new from Thurston Bros. Asking $520 shipped in the US.

Vanson Mercury

Vanson calls the Mercury jacket “An Exquisite Classic”. It has a shirt style collar, this is a Vanson medium weight Firenze cowhide and it is in 99% condition. Very soft and has a worn in feel unlike the competition weight which is very stiff. Never dropped, crashed, torn, or worn in the rain. Zipper is clean and smooth. Size 42. Asking $350.00 shipped in the US.

I can send or shoot a close up of any part of the jackets if requested.

IXL

One Too Many
Except for the increased length of the PLU-3, and different collar styles and pockets, are not both jackets the same basic pattern? The Vanson website gives identical measurements for both jackets.
Also, welcome to the Lounge!!

msrtex

New in Town
Except for the increased length of the PLU-3, and different collar styles and pockets, are not both jackets the same basic pattern? The Vanson website gives identical measurements for both jackets.
Also, welcome to the Lounge!!

Body wise, yes. Of course these are two different types of leather. Plus the PLU-3 is a size larger because, well, so am I now!

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
Bump--so i can find this easier! Seriously considering the PLU-3. I wear a 43 suit coat--how true to size is this jacket?

msrtex

New in Town
Very true to size. I wear a 43 as well and I have room for a medium to thin sweater or sweatshirt under if needed.

msrtex

New in Town
It was pointed out that these are similar in style and I stated I, "just don’t like the different cut." What I meant to say was I don't like the different leather. I am quite fond of the softer and probably thinner Firenze leather Vanson offers.

LouisBailie

Banned
The "comet" is a 100% great jacket with one inside pocket. They are cut "slim" but not as slim as the model A. If you want to wear a streamliner liner under then size up one size. Normal Vanson I wear 48s with streamliners I wear 50.

msrtex

New in Town
Both are still available. Open to reasonable offers. more so on the Mercury as the PLU-3 is pretty much new.

msrtex

New in Town
Mercury;
Pit to pit = 23”.
Shoulders = 19.5”.
Bottom of collar to bottom hem = 23”.
Across bottom of jacket = 20”.
All measurements laying flat, face down, zipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou