Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

funky improvised hatbands?

Richard

Familiar Face
Anybody ever use some funky improvised hatband material? I'm wondering if there's something out there lying aroudn that might look cool...

Canadave

One Too Many
Sharpey changes his ribbons all the time. He may have some advice.

When doing so, is it best to sew them in? Any tips on that? How about making a bow?

David

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Me too

Canadave said:

When doing so, is it best to sew them in? Any tips on that? How about making a bow?

David

I hope someone follows up on this - I'd like very much to learn!

David, May I PM you about your Panama?

Richard

Familiar Face
old tie

hey i have the perfect old tie i hate wearing as a tie and have wanted to get rid of for a long time. i think it would excel as a hatband wher eit failed for me as a tie. it's black with musical notes on it. i hate them ties like that, but i think it would look sporty as a hatband. now, what the heck should I do with it? Just cut it down and attempt to sew it?

Richard

Familiar Face
bolo tie

when i got home i rummaged around through some old junk. I found an old unused bolo tie. I took the clasp part off and just used the leather strap. looks pretty good!

Richard

Familiar Face
question; going hatbandless

Question; i was trying out my panama hat with no hatband. it looks more beachy, less dressy, than weith a hatband. what message does the batbandless straw convey? I remember seeing one on the wall of the swordmaker in Kill Bill vol 1 and thinking it looked pretty good. is it just super casual?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I like the unusual. We have a Montecristi here at the school with an Hawaiaan lei on it.

I love what Art does with his hats.

The Optimo style seems to look best in a black ribbon, however.

Panama Blob....hey, I resemble that remark!>:cool2:

Dave McCone

New in Town
I've had very good luck improvising hatbands.

Take one of your old hats with a fabric band, or a hatband that you don't really care for; carefully take it apart and figure out how they put it together. Iron the old hatband flat, and use it to make a paper template that you can then use to cut your own band out of the material of your choice.

Get out the iron, and attempt to duplicate the pleats in the band. Don't give up - it takes some patience but you can do it with an iron and an ironing board.

Take a good look at the hatband hook, and attempt to duplicate it using some wire; you may need to take a file to the end of the hook to put a point on it.

Most fabric hatbands seem to be finished with a metal staple on the hatband hook end; I've never been able to duplicate that but seem to do quite well with just needle and thread.

My wife is a quilter, so I either keep an eye out for fabrics that she has that I think might make an interesting band, or I end up looking at fabrics myself in the fabric store when she's getting her quilting stuff.

Personally, I tend to like batik fabric (often used in hawaiian-type shirts) since that makes a very colorful band that you won't usually see anywhere else -- but practically any fabric could work.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Familiar Face
more garage rummaging

i found an old unused pair of silk brooks brothers black suspenders with an interesting black on black pattern that would look great! i just don't feel like doing it.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I like these!!

Canadave said:

David

Dave, I just use these from Miller hats.http://www.millerhats.com/accesories_index/case2.htm 2 pages of hat bands $5.00 each. It cost $20.00 plus postage for a hatter to change out a ribbon. I'll do this till I need a reblock. :) :rolleyes: :)

Richard

Familiar Face
cool thing about suspenders

if you have the kind witht he leather straps and clips, you can use the clip as an adjuster if you cut off the piece.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I know a guy who has a miniture leather belt on his hat, with silver buckel and tip on the end, like a miniture cowbow belt. He also owns a full size belt that is very similar. Talk about corodinating oufits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner