Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur coats?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Embrace the fur coat, or someone wearing one.

Excellent catalog pages. Note the Attached Sleeve Lining, Ulster Breast Pocket Stays, and Sleeve Tab and Wristlet inserts on the first page. Also the cap with fold-down flaps, two ushankas, and a homburg.
059.jpg

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Pioneer fashion pioneer?

If jazz-age frat boy isn’t your thing try accessorizing with a flintlock, coon skin cap and hunting dog for the Daniel Boone look. By the way would anyone consider the mouton fur collar on some flight jackets (eg the G-1) to be a fur collar? How about a thick shearling (eg the B-3)?

Edward

Bartender
I've never considered mouton or sheepskin to be fur - I suppose I stereotype "fur" to mean something that comes from a more exotic animal, such as a mink, whereas sheepskin is simply a by-product of the meat (and to a lesser degree the wool) industry. I'm more a fan of sheepskin and mouton than "fur" - actually, purely on aesthetic grounds I typically prefer faux fur over the real thing. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
thunderw21 said:
1922 Mont. Ward catolog

059.jpg

The Magnoli coat above looks great, though my favourite coat on this thread is the one second from left in this picture.

When did the typical fur coat come to be viewed as specifically something ladies wore, as opposed to a material that, like leather, could be worn by either sex?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Cold Storage

With the coming of Autumn here in the southern hemisphere, I had a call from "Sinika" Furs here in the Swan River Colony, asking when I would be picking up my Sable Bedspread and Racoon coat.

Its still warm, so we agreed that I would take possession of the bedspread in May and the coat in late June/early July, and both to go back in to cold storage in early December

Anyway the founder of the company (now retired) but still keeping his hand in at the salon, were chatting over the Telephone, and apparently vintage fur coats only last about fifty years before they start to severely fall apart, so if you're thinking about purchasing a vintage fur, it's a good idea to make sure the vintage fur was at least made in the last thirty years

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
An alternative to fur is loden. I have a loden coat (seen in my avatar) which is actually my father's but I wear it more often than he does. It isn't the same as fur but it is vaguely similar due to its fuzziness. At the same time it is also very functional as it is very warm, reasonably waterproof and it doesn't get the "Inspector Gadget" comments my trench coat unfortunately does (not that I let that stop me wearing it).

I have to say though, I like a coat with fur at the collar. That and a long hair felt fedora would be an amazing look I think. Unfortunately I think it would look unusual today. Some vintage looks don't look too unusual, such as some suits, fedoras or leather jackets. I can get away with the look in my avatar without many strange looks from people on the street; I don't think a fur coat could.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
In the book "Fred Astaire Style" ...

on pg 46, a photo of the always impeccably well dressed Mr. Astaire shows him wearing the exact same looking fur collared coat with wool neck scarf and a fedora. Picture caption says in back of book:"Astaire arrives in Manhattan on March 7, 1947."

Gosh, this fur collared wool coat is simply GORGEOUS, and your client wears it VERY well. Good show Indy!! Saw this on your site, its a beaut.

I'd get DH Chuck one but then young Daniel would want one too, and vice versa... Hm, Daniel does want an Art Deco wardrobe and Mr. Astaire is his style role model... you do custom- what about this item?

Indy Magnoli said:
Here is a customer of mine in the complete outfit:

mc-custbig13.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Not if you are in the Art Deco Society...

We went to a Yosemite Heritage Holidays three day event the beginning of March '09. It was put on by the Ahwahnee Hotel and the Art Deco Society of No. California. The people in this group are SERIOUS vintage devotees. Our entire family is now members-woohoo! The mens' clothes in particular at this event were nothing short of absolutely AMAZING. I was floored. The last day as we were gearing up to leave, one gentlemen was loading his and his wife's vintage suitcases into their vehicle. He had on a vintage full length fur coat. Probably raccoon, but not certain. For three day this gentleman wore the most incredible vintage wardrobe I could ever hope to see.

There are people out there that dress in this stuff, including men in fur coats or fur collared coats because its simply great to do so. Vintage or vintage inspired. Some are even here on FL...

Harvard game not required, drunk and old not required. Really.

TE=miles_archer]Unless you are wearing it to a particularly cold Harvard-Yale football game might be a bit much. Actually even then it would help to be drunk and old enough to remember at least one Roosevelt fireside chat.[/QUOTE]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
looking good BinkieB...

Very nice on you...

BinkieBaumont said:
"I think this Racoon works for me, because it has the same tones as my hair, toffee, caramel, and silver, I wore it to work one day in August (Australian Winter) a chap at work said "Only you could get away with that coat!!"

3472453938_620d19b9e6.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I hope Hadley doesn't become reacquainted with this thread. There will be Hell to pay. :eek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
...must admit there were a few jokes in the office about "Missing Bath Mats" and "Mrs Slowcombes missing pussy"

Mrs Slowcombes....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm laughing so hard here dear Bikie lol lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21