Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur felt outback/western hats in summer

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Hello. My first post here. I've recently taken an interest in hats, and found the Fedora Lounge several months ago. I've read a number of the past posts on a variety of topics. And I enjoy seeing the array of hats you all wear. I am yet to purchase a "proper" hat - and will continue to see what you folks wear prior to making some purchases of my own.

I live in the Cleveland area. I have several very inexpensive straw hats for the summer. And I believe for Father's Day I can expect from my wife and daughter a Panama Bob Cuenca. This coming fall I plan to purchase a nice fur felt Fedora. Recently I've been looking at the Akubra felt outbacks. Question for those of you who have them: I see them described on the Akubra site as being for the hot sun - but is a felt hat really comfortable in the summer?

Hopefully this is the appropriate foum to place this post, as I did not see a newbie forum or lounge. If this isn't the correct forum, I hope a moderator will move this to the appropriate place.

Thanks,

-Andy

Welcome Orange from a fellow NE Ohio dweller.
You will get different opinions on fur felts in summer. I wear them myself, especially if temps are in the 70s or so. Much higher than that, I pull out the straws. Some of the lighter weight felts may be appropriate for summer wear in 80-90 degree temps. The Akubras I have are thicker felt, and I think may be uncomfortable if very hot and humid. The Outback style hats may be lighter weight, so easier to wear in the heat.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
First of all ... Welcome

Second, enjoy the panama ... you won't be sorry

Finally ... I have worn felt westerns through out very hot summer weather here in Kansas for years.

You will sweat in them and you have to decided whether that is something you want to do in a "dress" hat or not, but as far as comfort ... I can honestly tell you that you will be more comfortable in a felt than without a hat at all.

I enjoy straws in the hottest of weather, and when it gets to the century mark, I go for comfort, especially if I am outside.

But I've worn light colored Stetsons in 100-plus heat and been outside all day and never felt the hat was a problem ... everything else, yes, but not the hat.

Sam

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing an Akubra Cattleman - in the light Sand color, with no liner, and six vent grommets - as my main summer hiking hat for the last few years, and have found it to be no hotter than a straw hat. And unlike straw, it's nearly indestructible!

CATLMN1.JPG

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...This coming fall I plan to purchase a nice fur felt Fedora....

Thanks,

-Andy
Hi Andy

First of all, don't wait until fall before buying a felt fedora. Plan ahead, and buy one during the summer if you're ordering, or as soon as they show up where you can shop in person. No sense just buying what the rest of us didn't want.

Later and welcome to the addiction..

frussell

One Too Many
If I wore one of my Akubras in the summer, I'd have to poke vent holes as mentioned above. I love Akubras, but find them to be warmer than any other brand hat I own. Indestructable, but not my cup of tea for the desert in July or August, when it gets over 120 degrees regularly. Color has a lot to do with it. Occasionally I'll see someone wearing a black or dark brown western hat here in the summer, but they are usually tourists or someone who has never had heat stroke before. Having said all that, I wear felt all year, especially if it's western. Palm leaf hats are okay, but you'll never catch me in a shantung hat.
I'd feel more comfortable with the hat box on my head than that stuff. Frank

KyleK

One of the Regulars
It's not so much the sun that makes a fur felt uncomfortable in the summer, it's the humidity. I'm in SE Pennsylvania and the furs only come out on the dry days between June and September.
I do have an Akubra Angler that I take whenever I go fishing or hiking, though. Vent holes, chin strap - it's not so bad when you're going to be sweating anyway.

EggHead

Practically Family
Between the Akubras that I have, I find that one with the biggest/tallest crown is best on a hot day. There should be enough room in there between your head and hat for air to circulate. Lighter color helps too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner