Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. <1936

batankyu

New in Town
(Initially posted in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread
and reposted here per request of steur)

Hi, I purchased this bowler hat for 20 euros at a garage sale few days ago in Normandy France, a Borsalino fu Lazzaro if I believe what is written inside. Trying to find resources online to date the hat and check if it is genuine, i found this thread which helped me to discover that the sweatband was hiding a tag with cells and serrated edges which could help to determine the period, so I'm posting photos here.

- Front view:
IYuzVp7.jpeg

- Rear view:
QScWxyd.jpg

- Left side view:
XqRJlPH.jpeg

- Right side view:
QYtX89D.jpg

- Top view:
g1y4KgZ.jpg

- Bottom view, with underbrim:
al3Jj60.jpg

- Bottom view, pleated lining:
TriXaz4.jpg

- Bottom, zoom on text:
G.B. BORSALINO FULAZARRO & C.
ALESSANDRIA ITALIA ITALIA

QUALITÀ FINISSIMA
MARCA DEPOSITATA

Unico depositario della Marca
Cappellaria Cimasoni
LUGANO

5bFUn11.jpg

- Sweatband, text on left side:
GRAND PRIX TURIN 1911
G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro & C.

p2MAcle.jpg

- Sweatband, text on right side:
Unico Depositario della Marca
Cappeleria Cimasoni
LUGANO

VbRtUMR.jpg

- Sweatband, rear view:
"5" (french size, I assume), initials "E B", and bow.

medLn92.jpg

- Tag hidden behind sweatband and lining on right side:
G.B. BORSALINO FU LAZZARO ALESSANDRIA
1902 9327
F Basilea 5

NwV4w4v.jpg

r72MMHT.jpg

batankyu

New in Town
And again btw.: 20 bucks!? Bargain!!! Fantastic bowler!

Neither the seller nor the buyer knew hat they were doing in this sale. I was so happy to find a bowler that is not only in such good condition but fits exactly my head that I paid the price he wanted without even negotiating and without reading what is written inside. It's only when I showed the hat to my father immediately after the purchase that he told me what's written inside, lol. I still have no clue about the real value of this hat btw.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Neither the seller nor the buyer knew hat they were doing in this sale. I was so happy to find a bowler that is not only in such good condition but fits exactly my head that I paid the price he wanted without even negotiating and without reading what is written inside. It's only when I showed the hat to my father immediately after the purchase that he told me what's written inside, lol. I still have no clue about the real value of this hat btw.

Don't plan your retirement just yet, but I would not be surprised to see you get five or six times what you paid for the hat if you decided to sell.

Today I have something special and it's going to take up quite a few posts to get it all on here. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime: I happened to stumble upon the Italian State Archive (Archivio centrale della stato) and with some advanced squirreling you can find the archives of The Ministero D'Agricoltura, Industria e Commercio. The ministry was responsible for the trademarks and they have their archive digitalized. So, I dug up the trademarks for GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro for the years 1906, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1919, 1921, 1923, 1925 and 1926. The way these are presented varies, but usually it consists of the image and on a separate page a description or notes. Since this determines which trademarks were introduced at what date, it will help us with dating hats. Unless there is something special to note, I'll just post the images.

1906 (the founding year)
n7401-7500_0015.jpg
nVol_67-68-69_0272.jpg
p7401-7500_0016.jpg
pVol_67-68-69_0273.jpg
q7401-7500_0017.jpg
qVol_67-68-69_0274.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Today I have something special and it's going to take up quite a few posts to get it all on here. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime: I happened to stumble upon the Italian State Archive (Archivio centrale della stato) and with some advanced squirreling you can find the archives of The Ministero D'Agricoltura, Industria e Commercio. The ministry was responsible for the trademarks and they have their archive digitalized. So, I dug up the trademarks for GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro for the years 1906, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1919, 1921, 1923, 1925 and 1926. The way these are presented varies, but usually it consists of the image and on a separate page a description or notes. Since this determines which trademarks were introduced at what date, it will help us with dating hats. Unless there is something special to note, I'll just post the images.
I've been thinking for a long time, G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro, had, in its short life, the best brands of Italian hatmaking.
One of the best designs and lettering of that fervent graphic season in Italy at the beginning of the last century.
Bravo Stefano!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 572964

View attachment 572965

View attachment 572966 View attachment 572967 View attachment 572968
View attachment 572969 View attachment 572970

After 1926 there are no more registrations and it was the year Giovanni Battista was ousted from his own company. In the 1940's the other Borsalino renewed some of the trademarks. We'll see that in the Borsalino thread.
Fantastic archive digging, Stefan. Wonderful to see these iconic logos all together. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the dig!

I've been thinking for a long time, G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro, had, in its short life, the best brands of Italian hatmaking.
One of the best designs and lettering of that fervent graphic season in Italy at the beginning of the last century.
Bravo Stefano!
Fantastic archive digging, Stefan. Wonderful to see these iconic logos all together. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the dig!
Thank you, gentlemen. If we just keep digging we will find nuggets like these now and again and get a better picture of the hatting industry.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner