Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable - Turtle & Leather

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice Jacket, think?

gable2.jpg
gable3.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not from a movie

This is an early color test shot for Gone With the Wind, testing skin tones for Technicolor.
Those are his street clothes.

Any idea where a similar jacket might be found? The knit cuffs are a bit of a surprise, at least to my untrained eye.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Likely that it'a somewhere between a "bootlegger"-ish jacket and a buttoned A-1 style jacket (Los Angeles Sport Togs had a few patterns similar to this way back then). There was probably a ball-chain zipper on that slash pocket. Neat!
Aero produced an A-1 Howard Hughes-like jacket for LVC a couple of years backyou might fancy, Scotrace. There's been a rash of them being hawked on eBay recently. I'll take pics of mine and post 'em later.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Pretty close to a Aero Bootlegger.

I own an Aero Bootlegger in brown horsehide and was noting how close it looks to Gable's jacket. Gable's is nice, frankly I think The Bootlegger is a little more finished looking because it has storm cuffs not the exposed knit cuffs (my personal preference only, which is "better" is up to you.) Mine has a vintage tartan plaid lining, inner pocket and the brass round pulls on the zips. It's pretty great and I too wear it with a turtleneck. Sort of a cool combo between a flight jacket and an early cycle jacket.

Harry Lime

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
But

This jacket buttons, no zipper (it's clearer in the ten second clip). I'm not sure there are epaulets on Gables jacket. The lapels are flappier, etc.

I think this one is more like the German one BellyTank has.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I see epaulets on the jacket's shoulders. This jacket is also single-breasted whereas most of the German/Luftwaffe buttoned jackets were double-breasted. In addition if you look really very closely at area around the breast pocket you will see the beginning of a large arc of stitching which indicates that the jacket featured a large "D" or "pistol" pocket which was a staple feature of American motorcycle jackets from the 30's to the 60's.
Pretty common mid to late 30's style jacket and a beauty to be sure.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Barstormer?...

Might be. I thought it looked a lot like the waist length jacket Gable wore in Test Pilot.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy Gable in turtleneck and barnstormer!

I dug this old screen test pic I had in the archives of Clark's lesser known brother, Paddy. Often Clark would style himself on his more stylish, but lower profile sibling.
And yes, it's an Aero Barnstormer (abit new looking in this "Gone With The Dogs" screen test photo), but it more 'beat up' now as I speak!

If you want one bulletproof vintage front quarter horse hide jacket, then go for the Barnstormer. Despite what folk will say about its stiffness, that does go pretty quickly if you give it plenty of wear time!

Barnstormingpics003.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
"Gone with the Dogs".......

Wow! Thats my all-time favorite Paddy Gable movie!
Isn't that the one where Rita Hayworth and Ava Gardner are fighting over the key to Paddy's heart? But he's a WWII vet with amnesia and can't remember that he was actually married to both of them and was leading a double life?;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think...

I think that's the flick where Paddy walks into the government offices and a cute tomato starts asking to stroke his teddy bear fur...

NICE jacket - thanks for posting. Looks slicker'n cow slobbers.

How long have you had it? Did you get the alpaca lining or drill cloth? Or other??

Baggers

Practically Family
You're such a comedian

Maybe in your neck of the woods. I'm still wearing shorts every day unless the situation demands I cover my legs.

Excuse me while I go out and will the clouds that are overhead to drop a little more rain in a feeble attempt to break our almost two year long drought. :mad:

Cheers

Feraud

Bartender
New York City was very warm today! A turtleneck was the last thing on my mind. I see the retail outlets getting their Fall stock on display so it is time to start considering the heavier clothes.
Good riddance to Summer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner