Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

Foofoogal

Banned
I planted 2 of the lettuce plants I showed. I swear I think I could feed the town with them. They just grow and grow and grow. I pick the leaves and the next day there is a whole bunch more it seems. I saw a rabbit today near my garden. I wonder why. lol

Foofoogal said:
I planted 2 of the lettuce plants I showed. I swear I think I could feed the town with them. They just grow and grow and grow. I pick the leaves and the next day there is a whole bunch more it seems. I saw a rabbit today near my garden. I wonder why. lol

I guess your weather thereis better than it is here. However lettuce is a cold weather crop---as long as it isn't snowing you are ok. ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I guess your weather thereis better than it is here. However lettuce is a cold weather crop---as long as it isn't snowing you are ok. ;)

I planted mine early, at least 6 weeks ago, and they are still just tiny seedlings. Wonder what went wrong? [huh]

Cricket

Practically Family
We finished planting our tomatoes and watermelons today. Peppers will be on the way very shortly. We will also be headed back to the garden today to pick some snap beans.

I love fresh veggies. Especially in stews. Canning for those winter days is wonderful.

But, I will admit to the FL, the summers here in MS get in the upper 90s to 100s with our wonderful humidity. So my husband ususally does all the picking while I do all the eating. lol

Cricket said:
We finished planting our tomatoes and watermelons today. Peppers will be on the way very shortly. We will also be headed back to the garden today to pick some snap beans.

I love fresh veggies. Especially in stews. Canning for those winter days is wonderful.

But, I will admit to the FL, the summers here in MS get in the upper 90s to 100s with our wonderful humidity. So my husband ususally does all the picking while I do all the eating. lol

I just came in for lunch from planting some tomato seedlings that my son brought home from preschool along with two rosh bushes.
I still have to go out and finish planting the lima beans, radishes, 8 or ten more rose bushes and a cutting of an epiphylum I got from my mother's neighbor. [huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mr MIDDLETON's 1930's Gardening Book

Found this book (paid hardly anything for it in a junk shop) with MY NAME on it..!! from the 30's.

GARDEN021.jpg

GARDEN.jpg

GARDEN009.jpg

GARDEN020.jpg

GARDEN018.jpg

GARDEN017.jpg

GARDEN016.jpg

GARDEN015.jpg

GARDEN014.jpg

GARDEN013.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally...

...This would have been a 30's garden (house built in 1929/30). I've tried to bring it back to how it 'might' have looked in those heady days (the garden was a *wreck* when I got it).

GARDEN001.jpg

GARDEN002.jpg

GARDEN006.jpg

GARDEN008.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely magnificent Paddy. What an artist of a gardener you are, who knew? Your garden (and probably your house too) should be featured articles in both of the UK magazines, The English Garden and The English Home...

PADDY said:
...This would have been a 30's garden (house built in 1929/30). I've tried to bring it back to how it 'might' have looked in those heady days (the garden was a *wreck* when I got it).

GARDEN001.jpg

GARDEN002.jpg

GARDEN006.jpg

GARDEN008.jpg

Just love your gardens, Paddy and Carey. Different styles, for sure, but both lovely in their own way. Was that greenhouse there when you moved in, Paddy? I'm jealous, either way.

Wish the weather would be a bit more cooperative. We've had but a few of what might fairly be called pleasant days so far this year (and today is decidedly not one of them), so that's slowed things down a bit around this place, which we moved into during the winter. It's a small yard, and was all but neglected by the previous occupant, but the bones are good and the cleaning up and planting, etc., I've managed to get in thus far has made a big difference. I must have cut down 25 or 30 (or even more, maybe) small alders (they grow like weeds out here) from which I cobbled together an arbor for the wisteria to grow over. Got lots of annuals in pots on the deck. This all has the dewy-eyed bride all the more persuaded she hooked up with the right guy.

That's just splendid, Talbot. Was the pool in when you moved in?

It appears those umbrellas might have bamboo poles and ribs. Izzat right? If so, got any suggestions as to where a person might find some? They look like oversized versions of those little parasols they once used (I suppose they still do use 'em) to adorn fruity cocktails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou