Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

Ha! I didn't know that poem. Nice one.

I'm up to just over 3 kg for this year's harvest (that's about £120-worth by today's Sainsbury's prices). That's from only 2 Sunday afternoons, an hour's picking each afternoon. Plenty of crumbles for this family this winter, as every winter. :eusa_clap I should get at least 3 kg more before this crop is done and dusted.

bk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So far...Paddy's Red Hot Chilli and Victoria Plums - yum!

GARDENING012.jpg

GARDENING011.jpg

GARDENING010.jpg

GARDENING009.jpg

GARDENING007.jpg

GARDENING006.jpg

GARDENING005.jpg

GARDENING001.jpg

GARDENING014.jpg

GARDEN014.jpg

That's some good looking stuff, Paddy.

My current crop of courgettes is petering out, so I've got another bunch growing in pots for a sneaky autumn crop. 2 different kinds this time; more of the yellow ones and some of the standard green variety. The first of the Baroness's dwarf French beans are ready for harvest this weekend. Rocket bolted, lettuces are bolting. Spring onions as sickly looking as ever. They're about 1/10th the size I expected. Damn them! Here are the larger ones I used in the potato salad I described above; I hold out no hope of getting any others any bigger than this …

SpringOnions1.jpg

My Dorset Naga chillies (see above posts) have all turned orange/red and we're working through them. By god they're hot. And fruity too, a bit like a scotch bonnet … but much hotter.

bk

Puzzicato

One Too Many
They sound wonderful! Our Twilight chillies are almost all purple now, waiting to see the first ones change colour again. Really don't know what to expect from the flavour because the descriptions have varied so widely. The plant is a heck of a lot taller than we were anticipating.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I BBQ roasted my Habeneros and some peach halves then minced them and added some cider vinegar & salt to make something spicy to have with steak- Holy Cow!!!:eek: these are the hottest peppers I've ever grown! A few hiccups and then getting slightly dizzy, on to the next bite,,, addicting.:)

I wonder of this hot, humid, but dry (little rain) weather, that has made the tomatoes so tasty, has made my Habeneros nuclear.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
I wonder of this hot, humid, but dry (little rain) weather, that has made the tomatoes so tasty, has made my Habeneros nuclear.

I've heard that suggested before!

We tasted one of the Twilight's last night. Also nuclear - but given that they are grown in the conservatory, I don't think the weather has had much impact!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
I've heard that suggested before!

We tasted one of the Twilight's last night. Also nuclear - but given that they are grown in the conservatory, I don't think the weather has had much impact!

Growing under duress such as drought is supposed to make for the hottest pepper.

I have tomato's coming out my ears will have to make up salsa today

Some time back in the 80's my brother grew some jalapenos in pots in the back yard. They were excrutiatingly hot. I was told that the use of sour cream served on the top of some Mexican dishes is simply to use to cut the heat if you hit a hot part.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Here are some of my tomato's

tomatos009.jpg

I have to say I am pretty excited as last year I got no yield at all from my garden we had a terribly dry hot summer. So this year I down sized, soil tested, hmmm... no nitrogen perhaps a problem. Composted, and mulched like all get out. I am having a bumper crop that first I have had in this house my old house I had much better gardens. Living in this frozen wasteland (Minnesota) I really look forward to my 3 to 4 months of gardening.

OK question for all you others gardeners. See those brownish redish things at the bottom of my photo? Those are these beans someone gave my son seeds. They are called red noodle I think. They are growing great but now what the heck do I do with them? I am about to google them but if you have ever grown them let me know.

rumblefish said:

Oh sure---keep bragging. :rolleyes: I have gotten three tomatoesd so far. Wheee! The vines are loaded but it is too cold for them to ripen correctly. :eusa_doh:
On a more :rage: note. I was waiting for the last nectarine that the squirrels had not stolen but when I went out the very next day it was gone!:rage:
That's it time for squirrel paperweights. :p

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Oh sure---keep bragging. :rolleyes: I have gotten three tomatoesd so far. Wheee! The vines are loaded but it is too cold for them to ripen correctly. :eusa_doh:
What's too cold? And what kind of temps do you usually expect in your neck of the woods through the season?

jamespowers said:
On a more :rage: note. I was waiting for the last nectarine that the squirrels had not stolen but when I went out the very next day it was gone!:rage:
That's it time for squirrel paperweights. :p

I rehabilitated four of the little criminals this year.;)

rumblefish said:
What's too cold? And what kind of temps do you usually expect in your neck of the woods through the season?

I rehabilitated four of the little criminals this year.;)

Night time temperatures hovering around 50 degrees. Daytime under 70 degrees and most likely about 60-65.
Finally today it is beginning to get warm. Yeeeeaaaahhhh!
I don't rehabilitate. I punish with extreme prejudice. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara