Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy's Plums are Ripe for the Picking..!

You heard it 'here' FIRST...!! I'm getting a lovely crop of Victoria Plums which will be ideal for jams and crumbles, tarts...etc. ;)

Quick write up and photos in my link. Good luck everyone with your gardens!

PADDY'S PLUMP PLUMS

Puzzicato

One Too Many
PADDY said:
You heard it 'here' FIRST...!! I'm getting a lovely crop of Victoria Plums which will be ideal for jams and crumbles, tarts...etc. ;)

PADDY'S PLUMP PLUMS

I was expecting plums in my veg box yesterday and was gutted to get a melon instead! I wanted to make the plum fritters from Nigel Slater's column on the weekend.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten a bunch of heirloom cherry and pear tomatoes now. Nothing larger. Chilies are just starting to come in. Dwarf eggplants are fine. No zukes. Couple of ears of corn. Herbs are great this year. And the trees are thriving.

The season started a month late for us here. We had snow and freezing temps all the way up til May. Yesterday morning we got near freezing again (yes, in august) and snow flurries fell near Lake Tahoe already. It was 42F at my place this morning, but the forecast is showing a high of 92 by Thursday.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A delightful write-up and lovely pics of your garden's bounty on your Blog Paddy. Thank you for sharing it all with us here at FL. I'd like a large helping of warm plum crumble ala' Paddy with some vanilla ice cream on the side if you please...:)

PADDY said:

PADDY'S PLUMP PLUMS

I did not pursue a garden this year but my riends did a lot of work trying to get one going. The concept that they don't understand is how most veggies want as much sun as possible in order to produce. My friends plant stuff in shady areas and can't understand why they don't get much.

John in Covina said:
I did not pursue a garden this year but my riends did a lot of work trying to get one going. The concept that they don't understand is how most veggies want as much sun as possible in order to produce. My friends plant stuff in shady areas and can't understand why they don't get much.

Then again, you can't fault them this year as we had a record cold weather year. Not growing much this year is the norm out here.
The squirrels have gotten so desperate that they have been trying to eat green oranges off my tree. I don't mean the nearly ripe ones either. We are talking less than two inches around here. :eek: :eusa_doh:
Where is that oatmeal and plaster of paris again? ;) :p

Mav

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
The squirrels have gotten so desperate that they have been trying to eat green oranges off my tree.
Came home today to one of my poblano chiles completely stripped of leaves, bent over, and the sides eaten out of the two peppers growing on it.
It was either squirrels or the Benicia mascot, roof rats. No more Mr. Nice Guy. The soft pellet gun gets put away and I'm bringing out the real pellet gun.
All Rodents Must Die.

Hey, on the few tomatoes you've got that are at least attempting to ripen, do they have a big, brown, discoloration on the bottom of them? Not really rot, more like a dried up part.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Mav said:
Came home today to one of my poblano chiles completely stripped of leaves, bent over, and the sides eaten out of the two peppers growing on it.
It was either squirrels or the Benicia mascot, roof rats. No more Mr. Nice Guy. The soft pellet gun gets put away and I'm bringing out the real pellet gun.
All Rodents Must Die.

Hey, on the few tomatoes you've got that are at least attempting to ripen, do they have a big, brown, discoloration on the bottom of them? Not really rot, more like a dried up part.

When I used to sit in my backyard in my old house squirrel used to drop apples from my neighbors tree on my head after they had taken a bite off of them. We don't have that problem were I live now my neighbor has a pellet gun so the squirrels get thinned out.

Mav

A-List Customer
Land-O-LakesGal said:
When I used to sit in my backyard in my old house squirrel used to drop apples from my neighbors tree on my head after they had taken a bite off of them. We don't have that problem were I live now my neighbor has a pellet gun so the squirrels get thinned out.
That's my next move. All the soft pellets did was annoy them enough that they'd come back the next day and chew holes in my drip irrigation lines. It would be a lot more fun if we weren't prohibited from discharging actual firearms within city limits.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Mav said:

Mine do ... just the large 'maters. Look nice and green and plump one day, and the next you find the bottom 25% covered in brown dry skin. My cherry and yellow pear tomatoes are doing great. Same soil. Same exposure. Same watering and fertilizing schedule.

Mav

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
Mine do ... just the large 'maters. Look nice and green and plump one day, and the next you find the bottom 25% covered in brown dry skin. My cherry and yellow pear tomatoes are doing great. Same soil. Same exposure. Same watering and fertilizing schedule.
Yeah, same here. I've got a couple of Romas that seem to be doing fine (other than refusing to ripen) but the bigger ones are turning brown, under the same conditions. Are you guys getting this cool- ish weather, too?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Mav said:
Yeah, same here. I've got a couple of Romas that seem to be doing fine (other than refusing to ripen) but the bigger ones are turning brown, under the same conditions. Are you guys getting this cool- ish weather, too?

Got down to near freezing for a couple nights this week. Snow flurries 30 miles west of here.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Mav said:
That's my next move. All the soft pellets did was annoy them enough that they'd come back the next day and chew holes in my drip irrigation lines. It would be a lot more fun if we weren't prohibited from discharging actual firearms within city limits.
Well funny story about that our next door neighbor is the one killing the squirrels with his pellet gun and it does seem to do the trick not sure what exactly he is using for ammo.
But in the spring when he first started doing it the neighbor on the other side of him asked me if we were finding any dead squirrels in our yard cause she kept finding them dead and was wondering if they were picking up some kind of disease. I wanted to tell her lead poisoning but I didn't want to get my other neighbor in trouble. Seems he would shoot them and they would all make break for her yard and croak. I think cause he was going after them off his deck when they would go for his bird feeder. His deck is closer to her yard than mine.

Mav

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
Got down to near freezing for a couple nights this week. Snow flurries 30 miles west of here.
Wow. I've hit snow flurries driving across NV in Feb., but that's unseasonal as hell.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:

Mine have been doing that too - had 3 nice ripe ones though! We think they are bruising where they come in contact with the trellis that is supporting them.

As for squirrels, I have a large hairy cat on patrol. They are welcome to the walnuts and hazelnuts, but catbeast keeps them off my tomatoes and squash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav