Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German Leather Jacket Resource

So, post your German leather jackets. All the features, all the bells and whistles that make German leather so interesting. (This, bartenders, is not intended as a Nazi jacket discussion, though they are bound to appear. Leniency, please, with the editing/closure tools)

Here's mine. picked up in an army surplus store in Lafayette IN, we've discussed the ZIPPs before. Here are pics of the jacket:

Double breasted with full belt closure. Unfortunately the belt retaining buckle is missing, so it doesn't fasten properly. Surely someone is making repros of these? The cotton twill lining appears to be original.

GermanLeather1.jpg
GermanLeather9.jpg

Scalloped shoulder section:

GermanLeather2.jpg

There are two hip pockets with this flap:

GermanLeather11.jpg

Interesting method of closure holds the right side against the body while the belt holds the jacket closed . . .

GermanLeather3.jpg

GermanLeather4.jpg

At the wrist, unfortunately missing the buttons.

GermanLeather5.jpg

Inner pocket lining. The pocket (with ZIPP zipper) is behind the left lapel.

GermanLeather6.jpg

The only tag in the jacket is at the inner collar.

GermanLeather10.jpg

bk

The pocket behind the left lapel has a ZIPP which is pictured below (my apologies for the shoddy pics). On the front of the puller is ZIPP and the lightning bolt, and on the back is DRP Nürnberg. Apparently this ZIPP design was introduced mid-WWII, though this jacket is probably postwar. It originally struck me as being a motorcycle courier's jacket.

ZIPP1.jpg
ZIPP2.jpg

And the pocket finds. A german train ticket, and a floral motif handkerchief

GermanLeather7.jpg
GermanLeather8.jpg

bk

Flieger

Practically Family
Very nice leather coat/jacket, BK! :eusa_clap

Too bad about the missing buttons. Any chance of finding period replacements?

My jacket was presented here not too long ago. I'm also missing the belt buckle on mine :mad: Must have been collectors items. :rolleyes:

I wish I knew what mine looked like so I could look for something similar to replace it.

Flieger

Edward

Bartender
Beautiful jackets! I have a gorgeous French leather trenchcoat - no photos, unfortunately - which I bought in Camden market in 1999 (back when it still had a soul! lol ). Brown moleskin lining. Beautiful tailored fit on me, though a size up might be tempting over a suit. I know I'd not want to be without a black leather trenchcoat - maybe - no political issues intended - the influence of that bad guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I always did love dressing as a villain. for heavy rain conditions, especially in the winter, a leather trench can't be beaten IMO!

Here're the pics and words from Flieger's thread. Flieger, a question: are there DRP or BRwN numbers on the back of those ZIPPs? I note that the brass one on your jacket is almost identical to the aluminium one on mine.

This is one sweet jacket, by the way. Really lovely.

Flieger said:
OK, my fellow leather afficionados... get ready for a bunch of photos because the jacket finally arrived todayl

I have treated the jacket, but not with Pecard's. I found out that it would cost me a small fortune to have it shipped from the nearest dealer (Britain). Instead I've used a German product called "Skinnfix" that I found in the city where I live. Anyway, the jacket is in great shape. The only signs of ware can be found in the sleeves lining where there are a couple of small holes in the fabric. The zippers run smooth and the press studs on the collar is in near perfect shape.

On to the pictures:

Jacket front after treatment with Skinfix.
Jacket_front.jpg

Back side of jacket.
Jacket_back.jpg

Front zipped up.
Jacket_Closed_whole.jpg

Waist detail with elastic band in good shape.
Waist_back.jpg

Sleeve zipper open
Zipper_sleve.jpg

Pocket zipper closed.
Zipper_pocket.jpg

Brass (ZIPP) zipper detail.
Brass_zipper_detail.jpg

Steel(?) (ZIPP) zipper detail.
Steel_zipper_detail.jpg

Jacket label.
Jacket_label.jpg

A lovely jacket but with one thing that bugs me: It has shoulder pads! Yuk! :D

/Flieger

bk

Sorry to steal thunder. here is Bob Loblaw's jacket. I wonder, Bob, if you could post a picture of the shoulder region. I want to see the detail of the shoulder segment. And some close-ups of the details of the zip.

Bob Loblaw said:
I purchased this coat recently. The following is the seller's description as well as some pictures. Let me know what you think!

Very rare WWII German officier's leather double breasted long great coat / overcoat / trenchcoat / in European size 52 and US size 42 reg.

Could be Wehrmacht or Luftwaffe.

I've had the coat professionally cleaned at significant cost and there is no foul musty smell. The leather and lining are clean and the coat is ready to wear.

56 cm armpit to armpit

49cm shoulders (straight across back)

62cm arm length (from top of shoulder to tip of sleeve)

130cm long (from top of collar to bottom of coat along the back)

Gray-blue leather is distressed and has great patina and grain showing. The pictures don't do justice to the grain and texture of the vintage leather. Judging by the weight it could be horsehide or heavy steerhide. The workmanship and quality is amazing and the jacket has many years of wear left in it.

Tag reads "Lederbekleidung, Tschache + co., Dresden-A"

No rips, tears, or holes in the leather. Leather is soft and pliable.

Lining feels like real silk and has a few minor worn spots but there are no rips or tears along the seams.

Description of details: Coat has dagger holder, attachement loop with strap closure to close the jacket, inside breast pockets and zipper pocket on the lower side, leather covered buttons attached through metal eyelets in the leather and held in place on the inside by thick metal wire covered by a leather piece (not just sewn on the leather, all orginal, sturdy, and all in place), snap bottons on the collar with ajustable storm flap, zig zag stitching on the collar and stitched collar stand, collar hook, faux belt with two buttons on the back, snap buttons on the back vent (all in place), a glove pocket opening on the left hand sleeve fold, two side slant pockets with flaps lined in dark grey moleskin cotton, shoulder epaulette / shoulderbord holders.

A rare and genuine WWII officer's greatcoat in wearable condition. This genuine item is not to be compared with the so called German officier's, Gestapo, SS coats in dark green leather that are often advertised but which are actually 1950's or 60's German police coats.

5251_12.jpg

587e_12.jpg

60b2_12.jpg

622d_12.jpg

53df_12.jpg

5f25_12.jpg

5d69_12.jpg

5a39_12.jpg

SummerofmyGermancoatsmall.jpg

bk

Flieger

Practically Family
Baron: Thanks for editing and re-posting the pictures of my jacket. I AM a lazy bum, aren't I? lol

Baron Kurtz said:
Flieger, a question: are there DRP or BRwN numbers on the back of those ZIPPs?

I have been over all my zippers with a loupe but unfortunetley I can't find a single number on them. [huh]

Flieger

A few from BellyTank from a while back:

BellyTank said:
'30s maybe '40s-
4a_1_b.jpg

f5_1_b.jpg

This is my English Patient, Schindler's List, Better than Indy's jacket thing-
$29.

B
T

BellyTank said:
Here's a '30s Russet coloured Goatskin jacket I picked up a few weeks back.
I have a camera now!

DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0239.jpg

This is a Swedish one- I bought it in Denmark for around $30-ish in a junk shop and it fits! It has a little 'patina' but the lining is spot on. It's nice to find a European jacket in Goatskin, it lasts really well, is supple and very strong.

B
T

BellyTank said:
Latest but not lately-

'30s German.

Germ_Le1.jpg

Germ_Le3.jpg

Germ_Le2.jpg

..and a vest from the same-ish vintage, for good measure...
Germ_Vest.jpg

B
T

bk

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's two of mine. The first belonged to a ME 109 pilot on the Eastern Front and the second I don't know the history. It may not have been worn by a member of the Luftwaffe at all. As privately purchased jackets they were mainly intended for bikers.

c8e4_3a.jpg

ff2f_3a.jpg

fe88_3.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Oh, so that's what's bothering you guys... :rolleyes:

Well, I can tell you that it only looks that shiny for a couple of days and then it's back to its former distressed self... apart from that the leather is more supple now.

Calm down. I would never destroy something like that.

/F

birddog

New in Town
Baron,

I have the same coat, in a short version! It's a German police coat from the '60's & possibly earlier. When I arrived in Germany the first time in 1978, I bought one in the flea markets for about $10. They were cheap & plentiful back then

The short & long versions were essentially the same except the length. I believe the short models were used by police in cars & the longer versions by beat pounders. I still have the belt on mine, but unfortunately it shrank hanging in the closet for so long, & no longer fits.

Ugarte

birddog

New in Town
boyorastroboy said:
Don't you hate it when that happens?!

It's a bummer, but a common occurance when one progresses from his 20's through his 50's. Funny, I know a lot of people that have had the same problem!

Ugarte

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo