Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a haircut with a diagram in hand?

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
So, ladies! I am in the need of some advice here! I have a haircutting diagram I want to take with me to a hairdresser, but I don't know where to go. I never really get my haircut and when I do, i go with my boyfriend to his barber to get my hair trimmed. My hair is so long now that I need to get it cut (it's down to my waist.) To top that, I've never gotten anything close to a period haircut.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what kind of place to go to or what to do to get a good period style cut. Do you think anyone would be able to do it? like a $12 dollar place? Or would I be wasting my time to go there? Should I splurge and get a $45 dollar haircut? I can style my own hair, so I really only need the cut. I doubt that any place in town specializes in this. I think there was a place a while back, but I think they didn't get enough business, so they closed up shop.

I asked my mom and some friends but they don't have any advice on my predicament. I figured maybe you guys would?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
If you only want to pay 12.oo a shcool. I went to the Aveda school and the woman took forever to do the cut but it was perfect. I would take a picture of a hair cut you like for reference. I took in a picture of Norma Shearer to my hairstylest once and he did a really good job recreating it.

Antje

One Too Many
Hi,

I read your dillema, I am a hairdresser and I'm quit understanding,
but I know some hairdresser who are cutting of way to much,
like 10 cm of when you want 5 cm of.

So I suggest you take a picture of a haircut you like and tell them just the way you want your hair.

You don't always have to look for an expensive hairdresser because, the price you pay is not always guarantine for an exxelent hairdo.

Don't mind to go asking al quistions because it is your hair and you have to walk with the hairdo, they don't.

Its a shame you don't live here in Holland, because i really like to give someone a nice vintage hairdo.

succes with finding a hairdresser

sorry for my strange enlish, its difficult to make al the words in right order

greating antje

Josephine

One Too Many
I would take a pic with you, and I would also go to one of the nursing homes or the like in your area and ask if they have any salons come in and do the residents' hair. If they do, I would think that they would know how to do a vintage cut.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Humble my best advice as a stylist would be to ask for the owner of a salon, or find a salon who's stylists are rental. Such stylists usually have a good clientel and there's a reason for having a large following.
Not to say that you wouldn't find a great stylist at another salon, or a cheaper salon, but this would be your quickest route.

I would look for a middle of the road price, not 12 but not 45. I charge $29 for a cut and style and would feel very confident in taking on the task if you were here! ;)

You may want to take your picture in a few places and just ask for a free consulation and see how you feel about the stylist.

Are you gonna show us the pic!? :p
Are you gonna give your hair to locks of love?
Best wishes,
Nikki

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies :) I plan on getting my hair cut next month when I get paid again. I do want to donate my excess hair to locks of love if it is long enough for that.

I wanted to do a Rita Hayworth length, but I'm thinking I may go a bit shorter. Maybe like Lana Turner. I've thought about a Grace Kelly length, or Gene Tierney, but I am scared to go that short since I haven't gotten a specific cut like this before from a hairdresser.

I'd be happy to PM the diagrams I plan on using to you, if you want.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried this...

And the haircut came out OK, but now it is growing out in weird layers!
Granted, I didn't have a true diagram, but only a picture of what I wanted it to look like (Ruby Keeler in 42nd Street).
And the layers seemed to be in odd places on my natural waves, so they don't quite curl at the ends as much as they could.
So I will have to go to a better stylist to correct it and make it pretty while growing out.
It was a bold experiment.

Josephine

One Too Many
I used this pic (the Femme Fatale length of the Middi and it seemed to come out ok. This si supposedly the Rita and Lana length. Actually, I got it 2 inches longer all around.

And I wouldn't bother donating your hair to Locks of Love. Almost all of the hair they get from America they can't use, so they sell it, if they even ever get it. They don't give wigs to kids with cancer, they sell (at a reduced price) wigs to people with alopecia. Human hair wigs are very expensive and hard to take care of, and most cancer patients prefer to use synthetic wigs for the short duration they are without hair.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
That is one of the diagrams that I have. I also have the Middy Plus diagram here

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/1814299837_0959dc8484_o.jpg

I was thinking of getting either one but I am not sure yet which I would be happier with.

Thanks for letting me know about Lock of Love. I just figured that I wasn't going to be doing anything with the hair they cut off and thought it would be nice, but if it doesnt go to people with cancer or people who really need it (for free) then I suppose I shouldn't.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I have a question for you... when you used the diagram and they cut it like that, when you are lazy with your hair (assuming you ever are), does your hair ever look like a mullet when you don't do anything with it? The guy said that cutting it that short will give the top a lot of volume and I am scared that it may look like a mullet on my lazy hair days!

Josephine

One Too Many
humblestumble said:
I have a question for you... when you used the diagram and they cut it like that, when you are lazy with your hair (assuming you ever are), does your hair ever look like a mullet when you don't do anything with it? The guy said that cutting it that short will give the top a lot of volume and I am scared that it may look like a mullet on my lazy hair days!

I don't think so, in fact today I'm wearing my hair uncurled, but then again mine is long (8 inches in the back) so the shorter layers in the front aren't mullet short, if that makes sense.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I got my hair cut today and the guy didn't follow the diagram exactly but he did it pretty close. My hair looks weird down (imo), but I tried rolls and they were much easier to do. I have a slight wave to my hair so I feel like a dog from lady and the tramp. I am pleased :D Tomorrow I am going back to the guy to see what he can do with my hair as far as styling and see if he can give any tips.

1837146174_188a8d636b.jpg

1836314251_5e84b109ab.jpg

1837150088_3353ba32bb.jpg

I can do victory rolls in less than 5 minutes now! Wooohoo!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yay, you did it!
Ah, wish I would've cought your last post yesterday! Looks like he shagged it out a bit too much throughout the top and crown, esp. with the length left. That's why it looks a bit odd down, (and somewhat mullet like but not really)... it will look super curled tho.
Just for reference next time, (IMO), I'd have him leave more bulk at the bottom. Start the layers with faceframing and over direct layers from that point. Meaning the layers around your face would be the absolute shortest, not your crown or top.

While your layers are shorter on top now, take advantage and really try to do some of those high pomps!

I would also suggest difusing your hair with your head upside down with a bit of styling product to dry. This will give you a lot of volume and I see your natural wave hiding in there.. then if you hit it with the curling iron it should look pretty good, and hold better.

Ugh.. really wanting to cut my hair. Fighting the urge to just go downstairs right now and do it, lol!
Nikki

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Ya, I was wondering if that was right or not. Because from what I have read, I've read that you can also do a pageboy style with this haircut,... but I can't imagine doing that with what I have right now. I will see what he does with it tomorrow and hope that it looks good.[huh] It looks fine with the front up, but with it down... to me it looks kinda "egads" My boyfriend and bestfriend said it looks fine, but I'm thinking "what??"

That's good advice that you gave me though! i will tell him that next time. I am a little confused about the last part though. I think I may know what you mean. I feel like it's not much hair left up on top in the back. It grows back though. It should be angled more the opposite way, shouldnt it?...Man I should just learn to cut my own hair - haha.

1837658982_a22ce4687d.jpg

I am going to see him again tomorrow to style it, but i suppose I'll just tell him about the length the next time I get it cut? It seems that the back on top is really a bit short - maybe 2-3 inches too short? even right where my ear is - thats about where it gets the shortest. And that's really the only problem I have with the cut.

Ya, I guess next time I'll bring in a picture of a pageboy haircut and ask him if he can cut it so that i can moreso do it like that and still be able to do victory rolls. That would make it easier for me to say right? Like bring this:

1837770684_6ee083ce92_o.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, just found this diagram on the net, I would've cut your hair more like the bottom pics, and yours was cut more like the top pics. Does this help?
http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/highelevation.gif

I think the middy cut diagram is somewhat deceiving as it looks like the line follows the head shape. Using the shape of the head as a guide and keeping long length will take out a lot of bulk. But if he had left the layers a good 2-3 inches longer like you said, it would've been much better.
Here's pics of my cousin who's hair I cut for locks of love. I followed her head shape but it's longer, and I brought her sides up to the "mohawk" to cut so that they would still be long when they fell. Hope that makes sense!
Nikki

before
1820285908_6584e920af_m.jpg

Cutting of 10 inch pony tails.. 4 in all, in mohawk fashion,
1819456913_b3a8ac227c.jpg

finished
1820334984_36ba62fcdc.jpg

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the clarification :) That makes sense. I am actually less happy with my hair now because I am realizing just how much was cut off. I will probably end up going with another stylist next time or telling him that if I could have it differently, I'd have it longer toward the back.

I was watching him cut my hair and he did cut it like those top pictures... except it was weird, he criss crossed the sides of my hair (after he did the mohawk thing). He brought the right side of my hair over to my left side to cut it and vice versa. He said that it has to be cut a certain way so that the curlers work. [huh] I am saving that image for the next time that I get my haircut :)

Would you have done it like the one in the middle on the bottom?

gosh... now I am so freaking out about my hair... mostly because of how long it may take to grow back out.

The day before yesterday there was a Swing Big Band thing at my work (Harry James Orchestra) and I saw this old lady with the cutest hair. I asked her where she got it done, but she didn't say. I think she was with the retirement home that came! Argh... I need to find a place that is used to doing hair for little old ladies. The problem is though, is that most older people get their hair cut SHORT.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Would you have done it like the one in the middle on the bottom?

Yup. And maybe even angle the back up a bit more. This is my take on it at least, esp. knowing how we generally want to style it. I might also bevel the ends a bit, depending on the length. If the lenth is too long this would take out too much weight tho (such as past the shoulders). http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/bevel.gif
http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/beveledends.htm

If you're going to wear it more like a pageboy then I wouldn't bevel the ends.

I'm sure you're wanting to keep as much length as possible, but if you get frustrated with all the layers, bringing the length up to collar bone would make it perform much better for you.
NIkki

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Ya, I just want it to be more versatile. I wanted it to be able to look alright on my lazy days where I just want to wake up and blow dry, and I want it to be good for when I want to wear my hair up on my head in curls, and I also wanted to be able to do a pageboy (if I wanted to) or victory rolls. I figured this cut would work for all of that.

I will definitely cut it shorter if I can't stand my hair after a while. It will take a little adjusting to get used to it to see how much i like it. I just know that I will keep my "bang" area away from my face until it grows out some more - for on those lazy days.

I will definitely go with a different person next time after hearing what he said today. He said that he is not good with fingerwaves and that he's never done a hairstyle like mine before. It was good to give him the challenge, but I'd like someone more experienced and into vintage styles to cut my hair. He did a good job for his first time.

The end result:

1846386708_eefb57c9ed.jpg

1845564133_963ff97cb9.jpg

1845567317_3f4c42d0de.jpg

1845565375_49fa15799a.jpg

This whole thing is just a learning experience. I do think that I could do a better job styling my hair though.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Ok, just found this diagram on the net, I would've cut your hair more like the bottom pics, and yours was cut more like the top pics. Does this help?
http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/highelevation.gif

I think the middy cut diagram is somewhat deceiving as it looks like the line follows the head shape. Using the shape of the head as a guide and keeping long length will take out a lot of bulk. But if he had left the layers a good 2-3 inches longer like you said, it would've been much better.
Here's pics of my cousin who's hair I cut for locks of love. I followed her head shape but it's longer, and I brought her sides up to the "mohawk" to cut so that they would still be long when they fell. Hope that makes sense!
Nikki

before
1820285908_6584e920af_m.jpg

Cutting of 10 inch pony tails.. 4 in all, in mohawk fashion,
1819456913_b3a8ac227c.jpg

finished
1820334984_36ba62fcdc.jpg

I've been searching all around the FL for pics/diagrams/directions of the middy, but for some reason I'm not grasping it. Is this cut the middy?

From what I can gather, it's just straight with the U shape at the bottom, with some layers on the top and around the face?

Thanks for your help. I need to get a haircut soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21