Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting fired 101

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Horror Story

OK, here's one for the books....

I'm trying to fill a part time position at the theatre, working in the little bar we have up in the balcony. About three weeks ago, this kid comes in and fills out an application, probably 22, 23 years old, just out of college, and tells me flat out he's never actually worked in a job situation in his life but he thinks it'd be interesting. So I interview him, find out he doesnt know anything at all about beer and wine, but he tells me he's got really good people skills, and really likes movies, etc. etc. etc.

I give him the usual "We'll be interviewing for this position for a while longer, and we'll let you know when we've made a decision," thinking, well, if nobody else applies maybe I can make something out of him. Well, it's been very busy since then, but I've interviewed a few more people, and haven't found exactly the right person yet -- you have to be very picky about choosing someone to dispense alcohol, after all. I hadn't heard a word from this guy since -- he didn't call to check in, didn't stop by, so I figured he'd lost interest.

So I get into work tonight and find a very rude email printed out and sitting on my desk -- the guy assumed he was going to get the job, and how dare I keep him waiting for three weeks.

Well, I really wanted to put him in his place, but I'm the soul of restraint these days, and sent him the following email:

"I’ve received your message, and I wanted to let you know that we’re still in the process of interviewing candidates for the bartender position, as I mentioned we’d be doing at the conclusion of your interview, and given that this is our extremely busy season of the year, I’m sure you’ll understand that the process might take longer than anticipated. I’ll be sure to let you know when a decision’s been made, and thanks for your continued interest."

He then proceeds to email back, telling me to take his name off the list and who would *ever* want to work for anyone who'd make an applicant wait nearly a month, especially for a job that's less than $10 an hour.

Sigh. This kid is the essence of everything we've been talking about -- clueless, snotty, full of himself, and convinced the whole wide world exists for his immediate gratification. All I can say is I'm glad I found this out before I hired him, because I'm sure he'd have been a real load of -- fun -- to try and train. And if he's representative of his generation, well, gee, I weep for the future...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes! Its that thinking he is doing YOU a solid by applying for the job, THAT is what I mean. :rage:

That is what drives me crazy. People think of applying for jobs as 'shopping' and expect 'customer service' from applying for a gig.

LD

Fridaynight

Familiar Face
I think our points were a little different.

no one's entitled to anything, I never disputed that.
All I disputed was that we shouldn't be telling people what they can't do nearly as often as we currently do. (and I use "we" meaning in general, what our bosses, coworkers, media, family, friends, etc. say)

People need to have a realistic view of success and failure, and know that you won't always have just one of the two. But we also need to always have the info that if we try hard, things can be better, we don't have to settle for the status quo.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I have to do a lot of interviewing and hiring at work and it has become the least enjoyable thing about my job.

I work in a hospital pharmacy and as such we have to be open seven days a week. This includes all weekends and holidays because sick patients don't get well just because it's Christmas. A few weeks ago I was interviewing a university student for a part-time position and informed him that, if hired, he would be required to work at least one (yes, just one) holiday during his first year. He looked at me and said, "That won't work for me because my parents won't allow me to not be home for holidays. My mom would never understand." :eek: Sorry son, but maybe this isn't the right job for you.

Here's a report on what is referred to as "The New Millenials".
ABC News report on The New Millenials

Not all young people are bad workers or have such a sense of entitlement. We have some fantastic young workers with us but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Sigh. This kid is the essence of everything we've been talking about -- clueless, snotty, full of himself, and convinced the whole wide world exists for his immediate gratification. All I can say is I'm glad I found this out before I hired him, because I'm sure he'd have been a real load of -- fun -- to try and train. And if he's representative of his generation, well, gee, I weep for the future...

I would call that a very successful interview for you LizzieMaine. :)

S

Samsa

LizzieMaine said:
And if he's representative of his generation, well, gee, I weep for the future...

I doubt he is. It seems each generation complains about the young ones and their loss of civility. Young as I am I obviously cannot objectively survey the history of man, but I suspect there have been roughly the same number of rude and inconsiderate people in each generation.

"The kids are alright," say I. But then again I suppose I'm one of them.

EDIT: Here's something you also should apparently NOT do: ask your boss for a raise.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Would you like to see something really amazing?

She has a book that is actually selling. http://www.amazon.com/Brazen-Careerist-New-Rules-Success/dp/0446578649?ie=UTF8

Honestly, I'd use her book as a reference for who to not hire and what not to do.

Hawkcigar said:
Here's a report on what is referred to as "The New Millenials".
ABC News report on The New Millenials

What's interesting about the end of the article is "From Traditionalists to Millennials". Being responsible in a workplace is not a tradition. It's plain common sense.

Doh!

One Too Many
From her Amazon Q&A:

"Prior to that I was a professional beach volleyball player."

Perhaps she merely spent too much time out in the sun without proper head protection...?

Flivver

Practically Family
How They Got This Way

Baby Boomer parents created the Gen Ys we know and love today.

As kids, many Boomers were criticised by their parents and constantly compared to their peers. The Boomers wanted to do better with their kids so they focused on maintaining the kids' self esteem. But like many things the Boomers have done in life, they overdid this.

The Boomers became "helicopter parents", swooping in to fight their kids' battles at the slightest provocation. These kids have never been allowed to fail so many of them don't know how to deal with failure when they finally face it as young adults. Those kids on American Idol who are crushed to hear (for the first time) that they can't sing are the result of this upbringing.

But, all that being said, I work with two 23 year olds who are most impressive. They are intellegent, hard working and have a great work ethic. They are very much into "image" like most of their peers, and neither has yet faced failure, but in the year I've worked with them they have been outstanding employees.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Attention Bartenders

I request that you please delete all my postings to this thread.

For reasons of my own concerning work, entitlement, success, failure and the "real world," I deliberately acted out in this discussion. I wrote things I didn't really believe, voiced them in dramatic language, and dragged in off-topic concerns.

Yes, I have a troll living in my head. He only comes out now and then, when something/someone pushes one of my hot buttons, and he is rarely this obnoxious. I apologize on his behalf, and I will try harder to keep him from messing with my online persona.

Part of the definition of a troll is his purpose: to make people angry. This was not my intent, and if I did anger anyone, again I apologize. I suppose I really wanted to take the discussion to a deeper level and get this intelligent crowd of Loungers to question the status quo of the "real world." But this wasn't the way to do it.

I will not reenter this discussion unless invited. Thank you for your time.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Geez, Fletch. I don't think you've offended anyone in the least. You've certainly pushed a certain point of view, but not in an "inappropriate" way. My reaction was just, "poor guy, he's had a bad time." I tend to take umbrage (see the post on Senator Jack's car for the definition of that word) when I hear Baby Boomers criticized, but some of the comments about their parenting are on the mark. I don't have kids, but my niece and nephew (25 and 20) are both sensational. My niece is now at Tufts Vet school, my nephew a science major at Cornell. (Excuse the brag.)
Anyhoo, I think we're all aghast at this idiot woman's article. The workplace IS evolving, what's acceptable is changing. For example, taking time off when you know the organization can afford to let you do it should be no problem, as long as people are informed. But it depends on the type of job. In some jobs there's no reason to have to punch a clock. Likewise, if you work in a place with a general attitude that calling on weekends is OK, then that's OK, too. Depends on the type of business. And there are businesses where that could be normal. SOME of the norms she describes do exist in some environments. I haven't encountered them, but I think they do exist. But obviously some of her ideas are just plain nuts.
That said, yes, these little creeps who think the world owes tham a fanny kissing should be squished like ants.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Sigh. This kid is the essence of everything we've been talking about -- clueless, snotty, full of himself, and convinced the whole wide world exists for his immediate gratification.

I don't think bartending is his game.

griffer

Practically Family
Doh! said:
From her Amazon Q&A:

"Prior to that I was a professional beach volleyball player."

Perhaps she merely spent too much time out in the sun without proper head protection...?

In an attempt to bring this thread back to the specific, rather than the general 'state of the youth' rant, let me say Ms. Trunk really stuck in my craw.

I found myself complaining to my wife about her.

From volleyball coach to marketing director of a software firm during the great boom of the 90s, only to become a 'consultant' and then write columns about her crazy brother's schemes and how hot her boss was.

Ladies, this women is a superficial twit skipping along the surface of life and you should be waving pitchforks and torches at the base of her tower!

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

panamag8or

Practically Family
I'm going to try very hard not to get off on a rant about this, so I'll keep it short.

1. Lizzie, I agree with you 100%

2. These kids need to learn how to put on some appropriate workplace clothes.

Now, I am one of the first Gen-Xer's, and believe me, I am a full-on cynic.lol

Okay, after a little meditation, I've finally composed my thoughts in response.

Yes, I am "young" by elapsed-time clock, and yes, I am very short on actual full/part-time employment. HOWEVER, I am a professional--I conduct myself as such, and I expect to be treated as such. (And unfortunately, because of this, even while on vacation I frequently have people expecting me to do jobs like I work for wherever I'm visiting.) It is entirely reasonable and fair to expect me to prove myself--after all, you are going to have to invest a great deal of resources in enabling me to operate at peak performance, it's only logical you'd want to make sure I'm worth the expense--but once I have done so, continued expectation that I "jump through hoops" for you is a waste of my time and your resources--I am a highly specialized asset, not some kind of circus animal!

"All right... now you know how I feel."--Patton

Lancealot

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
In all seriousness, though, I think it's very important to show young workers that there's a right way and a wrong way to act in the workplace. This is the first job most of these kids have had, and the lessons I teach them will hopefully carry over in later life. The thing is, contrary to what media yahoos tell us, they seem to appreciate a bit of structure and discipline -- which does give me just a slight bit of hope for the future.

Your dead on there. I work in sales for a lumber yard, I don't have people directly under me exactly but I do have to intereact with the guys that pull the loads for the trucks and the cashiers on my end of the building daily. They have management that seems to let them get away with murder and nothing gets done. I have been know to be a little harsh and acctually expect them to do their jobs and surprise surprise I seem to be able to get more out of them than thier managers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael